Monday, May 4, 2009

Meal Plan Monday May 4th Edition


The Meal Plan for last week was like trying to nail Jello to the wall.
Since I wasn't feeling well, Hubby helped out a bit on tuesday w/Tacos & wednesday w/the Beef Pie. I slept through most of thursday & friday and I can't for the life of me remember what we ate. I KNOW we ate but WHAT is beyond me.lol
Saturday we grilled steak, squash & red peppers and sunday was brats, dogs & corn as planned. Grilled veggies is turning out to be my favorite way to fix most any vegetable.

The Mac & Cheese with Ham, the Bourbon Bacon Shrimp and the Pizza never happened, so we'll see those items this week.
We have Track Meets and a Band & Chorus Concert this week, so the plan is not very inventive and a few crockpot or easy 'throw-together' meals are included.


As for the FOOD WASTE report for last week. First, let me plead sickness...
I can't be expected to achieve 0% Food Waste while delirious with sinus.lol

We had to throw out a corningware dish full of sweet potato casserole leftover from Easter. This just makes me sick!
I had fixed baked sweet potatoes for Easter dinner but #2 son loves them mashed with all that sugar, cinnamon & marshmallows on them. I gave in and made him a big dish of it. He hardly touched it!
Ugh

So it got pushed to the back of the fridge.
I had plans to either dump it into the brownies I made &/or mix it into the dog's food bowls over the course of a few nights.
Daughter ended up making the brownies without my imput(OR the sweet potatoes)and being sick, I wasn't the one feeding the dogs this past week...so they didn't get the SPs in their bowls.

It seems I am the Lone Keeper of the Leftovers in this house, so when I don't use the leftovers, they go to waste. The kids won't touch them unless I hide them in something else. The only Leftover-eating helpers are hubby and the dogs.

I'm thinking about instituting a Leftover Night one day a week. No new food cooked....just find something in the fridge to eat. Everyone fends for themselves....except hubby. I'll heat up his leftover for him. ;-)
Good idea? Let me know what ya'll think.

The Bargain Meal this week would have to be the Rigatoni. No meat so it's the natural low cost pick. Pasta for $1 box, sauce cheaply made or jarred for $1.50, mixed salad greens(with carrot) for about $2.00, dressing $1.00 small bottle, homemade garlic bread for $1.00 loaf (including garlic & butter)=$6.50 for the meal or $1.08 per serving.

I bought Cabbage & Swiss Chard last saturday so the only items I need for this week's menu is a Pork Shoulder for the BBQ, rolls & the pizza fixings I never bought last week. I'm figuring I'll be able to pick up some pork quite cheap, due to the hysteria over Swine Flu & hogs. I'll be picking up milk, bread, strawberries and some fresh produce this week as well and anything I find for cheap for the freezer stockpile.
Speaking of the freezer....2 Saturdays back I got the coolers out and took a hammer to the ice build-up in the big freezer. It took about 3 hours to finish but after loading up the coolers with what was in the freezer, I was able to turn off the freezer and perform my 'Manual Defrosting/DeIceberging' on it. The freezer went from a jampacked with frozen food glacial landscape to a half-filled 'chill chest' with room for more food items.
I'm not looking to cram it full but I have space if some bargain presents itself this week in my travels.

Here's what is on the Menu at Sluggy's house this week. I'll post a recipe for the Bourbon Bacon Scallops after I make one up on thursday.lol

MONDAY-Pizza, Tossed Salad
TUESDAY-Macaroni & Cheese, Ham or maybe ham chunks mixed into the Mac & Chz, Swiss Chard
WEDNESDAY-Rigatoni & Sauce, Salad, Garlic Bread
THURSDAY-Bourbon Bacon Scallops, Cheese Polenta(grits), Collards
FRIDAY-Pork BBQ Sandwiches, Coleslaw
SATURDAY-Baked Salmon Teriyaki, Stir Fry Veggies, leftover Mac & Chz(if there isn't any, broiled Potatoes & Onions
SUNDAY-The Cook's day off!!! Maybe if they get hungry enough THEY'LL COOK!lol
DESSERTS FOR THE WEEK-Strawberries-fresh or in Strawberry Shortcake

Organizing Junkie is the home to Menu Plan Monday. Go see what's on her and many other Home Cooks' Menus for the week at Organizing Junkie's website.

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. I vote for Friday to be "Planned-Over" dinner night. Everything in the fridge gets taken out and used up or turned into soup or a new casserole or filling for omelets or something like that.

    Annnnnnddddd . . . . you forgot that this Sunday is Mother's Day. Get some extra shrimp or a sirloin steak and leave them in the fridge for them to find and cook for YOU!

    I hope you have a great Mother's Day and don't have to do any cooking or cleaning.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.