Tuesday, June 30, 2015

2015 Food & Toiletries Spending.....June Update

I am posting June's spending totals a day early as I am done shopping for the month.
I have to be as I only have $8 left in my wallet. lolz

Onward to June's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for JUNE 2015.

I have posted June's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2015 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.  I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in June.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3(3 at home this month). No kids under 19.

******************
BAKERY OUTLET
OOP  $16.00
Value  $63.36
Savings  74.75%

DOLLAR TREE
OOP  $12.63
Value  $29.22
Savings  56.78%

KMART
OOP  $13.85
Qs/Ads  $3.60
Value  $17.35
Savings  20.63%

MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $93.77
Qs/Ads $62.76
Value $156.53
Savings  40.09%

OLLIE'S
OOP  $7.44
Value $12.57
Savings   40.81%

RITE-AID *(see below)
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads  $39.72
Value  $39.72
Savings  100%

SAM'S CLUB
OOP  $89.51
Value  $151.03
Savings  40.73%
 
SHURSAVE STORES(small local independent affiliated stores)
OOP  $29.68
Qs/Ads  $47.39
Value  $77.07
Savings  61.49%

SURPLUS OUTLET
OOP  $73.48
Value  $144.33
Savings  49.09%

WALMART
OOP  $28.69
Qs/Ads $8.75
Value $37.44
Savings  23.37%
 
WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $236.98
Qs/Ads  $390.08
Value  $627.06
Savings  62.20%
 

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 100%, the Bakery Outlet at 74.75% and Weis at 62.20%.  My WORST savings rate was Kmart at 20.63%.

I shopped at 11 different stores this past month.  (Yikes!)  Lots of single transactions at lots of stores except at my usual 3 stores.

TOTAL Out of Pocket........ $602.03
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$753.75
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$1,355.78
TOTAL Savings of...................................55.60%
TOTAL Savings WITHOUT Rite-Aid.............54.25%

This closes out the June food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into June wanting to do a $400 food budget for the month.  That plan was blown to bits due to some deals, some junk food buying for College Boy, and most notably the .74¢ a block cheese deal at Weis.  ;-)  I exceeded my budget by a third this month when all is said and done.  A full third of my spending was done at Weis.  Most months I pretty much spend my budget equally between Weis and the Shursave grocer(with a few shops at other stores thrown into the mix).  Not so in June.

Way over but ultimately this month will save us more money in the long run by catching these deals.
At least that is what I hope.  ;-)

The monthly savings percentage went up by 10.90% in June to 55.60% compared to May's 44.70% average.  Good deals, coupons and having $36 in store scrip that I used helped to pull the percentage saved up.

The savings rate for the whole year so far now stands at 59.52%.  That's a 1.20% decrease in savings over May's YTD total(60.72%).  It's still hanging in well over a 40% savings rate for the year so I won't beat myself up over this small decrease.  It would be very difficult to maintain a 74 or even a 60% savings rate like I achieved in January and February of 2015.  Sure, if we only bought and ate items I got at a great discount for the rest of the year, but part of those high savings rates was due to heavy Rite-Aid shopping at the beginning of the year and if you look back to that time, most of what I bought at R-A then was NOT food but toiletries/HBA and paper products.

I have spent a total of $2,351.66 on food/toiletries in 2015 so far at the halfway point of the year. That averages out to $391.94 per month so just under $400 average per month.  Not a bad thing but I can do better.

June's Grocery Spend Fest  raised the average monthly spending by $42.10 more per month for the year-to-date.
And May's spending raised the average monthly spending by $41.47.   This is NOT a good trend.....
bleh.
We need to wrangle this back down closer to an average of $300 per month.

If you take my halfway through 2015 total and extrapolate it out for the full year, we are on track to achieve a $4,703.32 Food/Toiletries Spending Year for 2015.

In 2014 we did $4,989.49 so 2015 is tracking better.
In 2013 we did $4,560.82 so 2015 is tracking $142.50 worse.
In 2012 we did $4,196.36 so 2015 is tracking $606.96 worse.
In 2011 we did $3,080.59 so 2015 is tracking $1,622.73 worse.  Yikes!

LOOKING AHEAD To JULY.........

We'll try for a $300 food budget for July.
We are stocked on many of our staples here now so I should be able to accomplish this goal.
We do have a grown child coming home for a week or so and a cookout for July 4th to throw but we'll try to keep it reasonable and not overdo the occasions with food.  Plus I will dig around in the stockpile and see if I can utilize what's on hand more rather than running out to the store.
With the eldest son home I do plan on going through the freezer and dishing up some smoked meats and barbecue as he so enjoys those things.  Having another mouth to feed helps me justify all the work(and the amount of food)this preparation takes.
 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.
 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in June?
*  How much are your on track to spending for 2015 on food at this halfway mark?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
 

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. We are having a BBQ on Canada Day (July 1) which will be much more expensive than normal. I'm off to go buy some decent ribs at Costco - the good thing is hubby has declared himself cook of the day - yay me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids ruin ALL plans. They eat and use up the stockpiles pretty fast. Don't even get me started on TP and toothpaste use.
    I am spending money like we have it. It makes me nuts. All the paint and stain and extra food and we may lose everything and move in with you. At least, I would keep you drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sonya. Kids and inlaws ruin all the plans. And housework done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still cheer you on! I think your cheese deals are fantastic!
    Since Dad passed away this month and I was busy caring for him I had little food expenses until everyone came here for the funeral. We went from a family of 2 to a clan of 11 in one afternoon (and they stayed a week+) . The food budget went to Hell and back

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will it happen that we go visit our kids and they have to come up with extra money for groceries?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.