Friday, November 12, 2010

Final Garden Update for 2010

I got the remaining collards picked so now the garden is done for the year.
Here's a pic of the greens before I blanched them and froze them....


That's 2lbs. 9.3oz.

And here is my 'frugal hothouse' eggplant.....get out your magnifying glass first...lol.....



This behemoth tips the scale at 3.2oz.

Combined total....2lbs. 12.5oz


Garden Harvest Weight Grand Total for 2010....93 lbs.  15.52 oz.

I am sure that if I had kept up on the garden better(not let so much of it rot because I was too lazy to get out there and glean or pick in the heat some days), we would have topped 100 lbs. of food.
But I am more than happy with the 93+lbs. we ate or will eat this winter.
I believe I spent right around $50 on seeds/seedlings/dirt/manure on the garden this year.
Not a bad ROI(=return on investment) for my $50 bucks, huh?

Maybe next year I'll hold a little contest where you can guess what my final Garden Harvest Weight will be....maybe with a cool prize of home canned jelly, relish, pickles and tomatoes?

So what is stopping you from having a garden?  I am a half-assed gardener so if I can do this, you can too! 8-))   That should be encouragement enough, right?lol
Just find a little piece of dirt and do it.  Heck, that little piece of dirt can be in a pot even! 8-)  At least try growing some tomatoes if nothing else because a 'real' tomato tastes nothing like that red thing they sell in the grocery store....

Now to put the garden to bed.  The planning for next year will have to wait until January at least.
I've got more decluttering, eBay selling and the Holidays to contend with now.
Oh, and the family too.... ;-)

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. You had a great harvest! Sadly, my mom lost all her greens a week ago in an early freeze. It will be the first time in years that she didn't put up a ton of greens.

    We live in an apartment, so no room for a garden, though we do grow bell peppers in pots. Hubby is always so proud when a pepper gets big enough to eat. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances--That's too bad for your mom.

    I saw on tv that a frost was coming but I didn't have time to deal with the collards that day so I had Hubs pull up the whole plants and hang em in the garage before night hit. Keeping them on the plants keeps them from deteriorating as quickly and the garage was warm enough to keep them from freezing.

    Potted peppers is awesome...make due with what you got, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing stopping me but my own laziness. I talk about planting a garden every year. I even check out gardening books at the library. Still no garden.

    Maybe with Sluggy's guidance next year I will be able to get something growing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.