Thursday, November 11, 2010

The One Where I Rant on Consumerism, Shopping, Frugality and Deal Blogs


Before you jump in the car today and hit the stores have a lookie here.

Is is just me or has the shopping madness just gone too far?
Yes, everyone acknowledges the day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, as the beginning of the Mad Shopping Dash for Christmas.
And Stores no longer wait until after Halloween is over to start putting up their Christmas displays and merchandise.  That's been true for years.....

But now, Stores have extended the Holiday shopping frenzy to include Veteran's Day!
Use to be advertisers would run Veteran's Day sales for things like mattresses and some housewares(since Thanksgiving was right around the corner and you might need dishes/cooking stuff for the big day's meal).
Throw in a little winter clothing and you'd have a smallish special ad to snag shoppers who were off from work for Veteran's Day.

At least to me, is seems like the major retailers are using Veteran's Day to start the Christmas selling season instead of waiting until Black Friday.  ToysRUs has HUGE ads/deals for Veteran's Day.  They sell toys, so they depend on the Christmas season revenues to stay in business the other 11 months of the year.  But when did Veteran's Day become a time to go spend large sums of money on toys?
The line on the highway to get into the TRU parking lot is insane on Veteran's Day.....same madness can be seen in the Wal-Mart here around the toy aisles.

I am a frugal person.
I use coupons and shop sales, etc.
I check out the "deal" blogs often all year long....not talking about the grocery deals, just the 'stuff' deals.
I will tell you I've gotten a few good deals by finding offers on "deal" blogs.
Many deal blogs think of themselves as frugal blogs as well....because they are saving their readers money when they take advantage of the deals they tout.

But.....frugality is NOT only about saving money because true frugality is NOT about spending money!
And I feel that many of these "deal" blogs have the reverse affect and encourage some people to spend MORE money.  People who don't NEED an item but see it for a steal from a "deal" blog post will go and spend money, when they would not have w/out that post or that special price.
And theses people would have continued to lead their lives just as well without that item/deal.

Deal blogs have a place but I truly believe that they are fueling shopping addicts need for a "sales high".
And I know what I am talking about because I use to wander around in stores looking for clearance signs/racks and I brought many an item home for cheap that I didn't need.  I have felt the "shopping high" and it's quite a drug....

But from this point until the end of Dec. I am better off dumping almost every deal blog out of my favorites and not visiting them.
Because when I do go to them, all I find is massive quantities of "deals", so many that it overloads my senses.  And I find it difficult to weed through this huge crush of deals to find the one or two nuggets that I want or need.
Because I don't buy massive quantities of stuff for the Holidays anymore.
Just a few choice things.
And the bulk of what is being hawked on the deal blogs is not a deal for me.
And the deal blogs start to all look the same(same deals)and it's hard to distinguish them from the major retailers ads/deals either.

And another thing......if you are buying "deals" online from a faceless business and the items you are buying are being made halfway around the world and being shipped from this same place and no one in your local community is prospering from your purchase, it may still be a deal for your wallet but it's no deal for the planet nor a deal for your local businesses, that employ your local citizens, as long as they stay in business.  And if you don't support your local businesses at all by spending your money there, they will go away.  And the jobs will go away.  And the jobless will put more stress on your government supported safety nets(food stamps, unemployment, etc.).  And then your taxes will go up.  And that online deal that saved you so much money will cost you more in other ways, than you ever thought in the end.

I'm not saying you need to stop buying from anyone EXCEPT a local business.  No, I am not a tree-hugger, extremist.
I think life is all about balance.
And even when you shop, you can find balance.
So go get some "deals" online(but only things you truly need/want!)but also spread your consumer net wide.....go spend money with local merchants too.
We have 2 Chinese/Japanese restaurants in our teeny tiny town.  Some things are prepared better at one, other things at the other.  Both are locally owned small businesses.
So we alternate which restaurant we eat at and spread our consumer dollars out between them.
That way we support both and neither goes out of business.
And we continue to have a choice in where we want to dine when we want Chinese/Japanese food.
Having choices is cool and so is keeping jobs in your neighborhood.

Just some food for thought from what spills outta my brain....

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. I agree... and don't some of those Veterans Day shoppers have to work???

    I do not believe in shopping as recreation or as a drug. Thanks for the post, I think I'll stay out of CVS today after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sluggy, its ok to erase the deal sites if you feel overwhelmed or feel tempted to make purchases.

    Maybe its time to call it quits for internet shopping for the rest of the year or banish the credit card to the kitchen drawer if its making you this upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! With a lot of info to think about regarding shopping. I've been using "not shopping" as my frugal factor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Sluggy, not all deals are deals for everyone. I am very fortunate that I never could afford the "I can't let any deal pass me by" stage of deal shopping. If we don't need it, we don't get it...even if it is free. (Exceptions are if I get it for someone else.) I don't even do "moneymakers" to donate. I am just not that crazy about shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AlexM--I don't enjoy shopping much anymore or shop like I use to but I do find Rite-Aid shopping has become a hobby lately.lol

    April--I am not tempted by the deals so no need to hide the plastic money here.lol I guess I am just burnt out of seeing the same deals over and over again, or blogs that advertise pointless stuff I see no value in and the stuff is nothing I want. But having been a shopaholic I know there are others out there still in the throes of the addiction staring glassy-eyed at their monitors and spending to the point of putting their families at financial risk. It just makes me sad to think about it and to think that a Holiday which is all about love and family will end up tearing some families apart due to the greed and marketing practices of businesses and how they use bloggers to their nefarious ends.
    But that's just me I guess.... ;-)

    McVal--You are so right...NOT shopping IS the frugal option! You get me, you really get me...lol

    Frances--Back when I "drank the deal hunting kool-aid" as I like to call it, I went after most deals and then found ways to get rid of the stuff I got that we didn't use. I've changed my approach over the last year and I think it's made life around here calmer and better. I still do some moneymakers(mostly only at Rite-Aid since there don't seem to be any at the grocery stores here)but it's for items we'll use or family will use or I KNOW the food bank will take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back when I "drank the deal hunting kool-aid"

    LOL! Too funny, Sluggy! I never drank that kool aid, but I have a friend that did. She can't stand to have a coupon expire and will use them at the end of the month even without a sale.

    To heck with that! I throw a lot of expired coupons out every month.

    I used to go after many more deals, but now that I don't have to provide EVERYTHING to 3 teens, we don't need quite as much. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sluggy,

    I so agree with you. I hate shopping. I am even starting to stockpile food again not only because prices are escalating but because I am hoping not to do a big shop for a very long time.

    As far as Christmas, I made my last purchase yesterday. The majority of my purchases were done online because I don't like the crowds, lines or traffic. I try like crazy to be done ahead of Black Friday and there isn't anything that would get me out the door to do that day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I confess to reading the deal blogs pretty regularly, and occasionally I've gone overboard and gotten things I didn't really need or even want, so I'm trying very hard to step back from it all. I am somewhat amazed by how some loyal readers of these same deal blogs automatically buy whatever the blog says to buy because it's a "deal." I'd like to think I've never been that caught up in it (but I may be fooling myself - LOL!). Where I consider myslf sort of lucky is not having all that many people on my Christmas gift list. Really just immediate family and maybe a couple other local friends. But mostly, I don't need to buy stuff for scads of cousins, BFFs, in-laws, kids' teachers, etc., so while a lot of the folks who buy buy buy from the deal blogs then post that they've crossed more names off their list, I feel somewhat smug that I don't have a list I need to cross things off of. Or maybe I should lament that I don't have more friends, but I'm trying to be positive about this - LOL!

    Anyway, I totally agree with your too-much-dealing premise, although I will probably keep watching those blogs because you never know when there will be another opp for boxes of free or almost-free TP :) I simply can't pass that up!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.