Monday, November 8, 2010

Simplifying the Holidays.....Make a Budget to Help Stay Frugal


It's reported that the typical American spends $1000 of his/her income on Holiday spending each year.
Wow....that's a lot of money!

Back in the days of Jean Shepherd's youth, that sure would have bought Ralphie a load of "official Red Ryder carbine-action 200 shot range Air Rifles with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time", wouldn't it?

How many years have you gone into the Holiday Season telling yourself you'll only spend $X this year and after the credit card bills start rolling in the following months, you add it all up and you WAY overspent the amount you set for yourself?
I'm betting it's almost every year, if you are like most people.

But this year do something different.....make a Holiday Budget!

Make a budget and then decide, BEFORE YOU SET FOOT IN A STORE AND SPEND A PENNY, how much you will delegate toward each item in your budget and stick to that plan.

But how do you decide on how much money to put into your Budget?

Let's take that typical $1000 figure.
Put that amount against your yearly take-home pay figure and see what percentage of your income that $1K comes out to be.  Use your net pay since that is what you actually get after taxes, investments and such to spend in your day-to-day life.

If your net pay is $40K, that's 2.5% of your yearly take-home income.
If your net pay is $30K, that's slightly more than 3.33% of your yearly take-home income.
If your net pay is $20K, that's 5% of your yearly take-home income!

So don't go by what the "average" American family spends.  You need to figure out using your yearly income, what YOUR family can afford to spend at the Holidays!

I'd suggest you go through your monthly bills-the fixed and variable charges you must pay each month(mortgage or rent, utilites, car  or student loans, food, gas, credit card min. payments, etc.).  Whatever is left over after the bills are accounted for, for the year, is the place to start to see what you can afford to spend.  Be sure and leave some "wiggle" room in an emergency fund for those unforeseen expenses that happen through the year. 

Once you set your spending Budget, now you have to allocate where/how you will spend it all.
Sit down with your partner(if you have one)and get out that Prioritized Spending List you hopefully made up that we talked about last time.  Now take whatever budget figure you have set and decide how much to spend on what item.
You will probably find that when you add all your item spending up that it exceeds the total budgeted amount you can afford to spend.

Now go back through your list and either cut your spending on individual items according to it's importance in your life or rethink whole items on your list and possibly cut those items from your list.

The other option if you can't cover all the items on your list is to think of a way to bring in additional money over the next 2 months.  Get a side job, sell some things, donate plasma, etc.  

Again, make this a joint decision if you have another adult in your household who is jointly responsible for the income and spending.

Now I'm aware that not everyone(ok, hardly ANYONE!lol)will be able to follow a budget and only spend whatever is allocated per item on the list.  You are allowed to go over a bit or spend a bit more here and a bit less there.  The budget and list is just to make you conscious of your spending habits this Holiday so that you don't wake up on Janurary 1 and find that you again spend WAAAY! too much money than you can afford for the Holidays.

Once you have a workable budget, you need to think about how you will keep track of your spending and how exactly you will spend your money.

I'd recommend an envelope or a pouch of some kind to keep ALL your receipts in.
Keep it in your car or your purse(if you carry one)and stash every receipt there until you get home.  Once home, either keep a spreadsheet on your computer or get a notebook or folder with loose leaf paper in it to list and organize in whatever way that works for you.  Put all your receipt information into your notebook/spreadsheet/etc. and tally up your spending weekly or more often(if you do alot of Holiday spending every day), so you can see what you have spent and how much you have left.
Making a budget won't help you one whit if you never record and look at where your money is actually going!

As for what forms of payment to make all your Holiday purchases with.....unless you are VERY self-controlled, do NOT put your purchases on a credit card.  Though you may get great "points" toward gifts or services or airplane miles when you use your credit card, very few people have the self-control NOT to overspend when using a credit card.  And if you already have a balance on a credit card(s) and you only make minimum payments, do NOT under ANY circumstance use your credit card to pay for anything this Holiday Season!
So that leaves debit cards that link directly to your bank account, checks or cash to make your Holiday purchases.  Personally, I like to use cash. 
These methods of payment are more likely to help you to spend less this year and you will not wake up in January with a credit card hangover and spend the next 9 months paying off the Holiday induced debt.

And looking ahead to 2011.....
It's never too early to begin thinking about how to approach the Holidays for the coming year either.  If you have a hard time saving and scraping the cash together to fund everything you want to do at the Holidays, consider opening a separate account to save/keep money for just the Holidays for 2011.  Christmas Club Accounts have made a comeback in recent years.  These are accounts that usually begin in October and every week either a set amount is moved into this account from a source you designate(another bank account)or you have to physically go and deposit money into the account yourself.  At the end of the Club term, you are sent a check for the amount you put into the account.  Usually there is no interest gained on a Christmas Club Account.  It is just a forced savings vehicle, helpful for those who can't save money if left to their own devices.  You could also open a passbook type bank account and earmark that money for the Holidays.  However, the interest rates are pretty much nil right now and they won't nag you to make weekly deposits.

Get creative in coming up with ways to put money away for next Christmas.  If you coupon, how about taking all your coupon savings and depositing that money into an account.  For example, if you use coupons and save $15 a week at the grocery/drug stores, take $15 from your weekly budget and put it into a bank account or even an envelope in your sock drawer.  Do that every week for 40 weeks and don't withdraw anything or raid that envelope, and next Christmas you'll have a nice little pot of $600 cash to put toward your Holiday expenses!

So do you plan on making a Holiday Spending Budget?   I'll be sitting down with Hubs this weekend to set up our budget.
How do you pay for your Holidays?  Do you have any tricks to get yourself to put money away for the Holidays?
Leave a comment and tell us about it!

Sluggy

12 comments:

  1. So do you plan on making a Holiday Spending Budget? I'll be sitting down with Hubs this weekend to set up our budget.

    Two years ago I set back $14 a week ($728/year) for Christmas and didn't spend nearly that much.

    Last year I cut that back to $10 a week ($520/year) and still didn't spend that much.

    This year, I've set back $5 a week ($260/year) and will add to that whatever amount I have in my Amazon.com account from Swagbucks (currently $105). I won't include any foods I buy (that comes from our grocery budget) and we don't plan on buying any new decorations. This amount should be enough for us to have a nice holiday.


    How do you pay for your Holidays?

    Cash, debit or Amazon.com credits.

    Do you have any tricks to get yourself to put money away for the Holidays?

    I use an online envelope system for our budget. I just set aside a specified number of dollars each pay period, which in our case is weekly, and then I just don't touch it.

    Also, all of the Swagbucks I collect are redeemed for $5 Amazon.com gift cards. As I earn them, I redeem them and add them to my Amazon.com balance. I'm not at all agressive about Swagbacks and still managed to earn more than $100 in credits which I will spend on gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK in my defense we have no credit card debt and haven't had any for years. I always pay for our Christmas from a fund that I set up at the beginning of the year. And I used to spend $3000 so I am improving. Are you having a stroke yet?
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Sluggy. Jean Shepard? You are old!!! but then again so am I because I know who you're talking about. What about Wanda Hickey? Many Golden Memories are actually nights of disaster...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sluggy! Great post. It may sound weird to say, but we really don't need to budget for Christmas. And the main reason is that I am cheap. Well, not really, but I refuse to go into debt for Christmas. Many years ago, Hubby and I decided that Christmas would be paid for before Christmas, not after.

    It really is easy to know what we are spending, though. We will give each of our 3 kids $100 cash. They will also get a back of HBA items from my stockpile. We spend no more than $25 per child for our 3 grandsons. We will get them a toy and a book or 2.

    Everyone else gets homemade jam and cranberry almond bread. I do usually buy bags to put this stuff in. Last year, I bought reusable shopping bags on sale for $.50 each.

    The homemade goodies don't get counted into a Christmas budget, as I already bought everything to make them and it is counted in my grocery budget.

    Usually I will get Hubby something he wants, as well as some little gifts, but rarely spend more than $50. But this year, he already took a camping trip that he said was his early Christmas gift. Alrighty, then. A few stocking stuffers it is.

    He, on the other hand, will go crazy buying stuff for me, unless I give him a limited number of items.

    So I would figure that we will spend no more than $500 and that is a very small percentage of my salary.

    (I am not counting Hubby's camping expenses into the Christmas budget, as he would have been going anyway and I already counted it as vacation expenses.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, if you and Frances got a hold of my Christmas list I think that I would be giving a lot less. But that said I think that I'm going to change it up a bit next year. The thing is we don't spend any money on the kids during the year so I feel like the little splurge is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really trying to be frugal this year in the gift giving department and only want to give what I can make. Except for a couple nephews who will probably get bacon flavored pop...
    And except for my kids who are quite frankly getting sick of what I make...
    I typically spent about $150 per kid. $100 for a big ticket item then a few smaller things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnnieJ--Looks like you have a great system and have a lot of practice at this already....good job!

    SonyaAnn--Having the cash for xmas is wonderful! I'll just have a mini-stroke at the amount in your fund.lol I am so proud of you for not putting anything on the c/c and for spending less than last year!!

    AlexM--Yep! We are both decrepit it seems. Love the Shep...

    Frances--Just another one of those folks who has transcended the need for a Holiday budget.
    You should go on a speaking tour and put your frugal wisdom out there for all the young and unenlightened ones. ;-)

    KathyM--Thanks for coming to see me and for leaving a comment! I heart comments...
    Have a great week.

    McVal--bacon flavored pop? Oh my....do they actually drink it?lol
    I have a tendency to go overboard on the gifting...that is why I have to watch myself closely. Hubs still thinks I spend too much and according to my kids(and what their friends receive)I spend nothing!lol I think $150 per kid is quite modest(for an older kid).
    And I am in the same boat with making gifts....I have no one who would like/appreciate anything I could/would make, except food products, which everyone likes.lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. "You should go on a speaking tour and put your frugal wisdom out there for all the young and unenlightened ones. ;-)"

    You are so funny, Sluggy! I don't know that I am all that wise. I just know that several years ago, I realized that more gifts did not equal more happiness, when it came my family. None of us need any more "stuff". But everyone loves yummy gifts. :-)

    Of coure, our kids are still on the poor side, so they can use some cash. But we give them what we want to. We are not in competition with anyone. If the kids do not like the amount we give them, we will happily exchange it for nothing. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *need* bacon flavored soda. At the very least, I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, there's bacon-flavored everything else! Gum, popcorn, mints, mayo, ooh lip balm!

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/whereisit.cgi?t=bacon

    I commend folks who stick to a budget. I always say I will and back when we had just gone through a VERY rough year many moons ago, we had nothing but some cash left to our names (and no plastic of any kind), so that pretty much set our budget in stone for one year.

    I figure our gifts to each other this year are the house renos - waaaaaaay more than I'd ever spend on gifts, which is why all gift giving should now be covered. But as with all good plans, mine may go by the wayside when the holidays actually get here. DS is easy - all he wants is money, so a couple freebie (with rewards points) gift cards should make him happy. DH and I are probably going to have to agree up front to really *really* keep it toned down this year. Yeah, well... we'll see how it goes :) I'll give him some of the mountains of free 'poo and bodywash I've stashed away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty--Well even if you say the house renos cover any gift giving this year, I bet DH still will pout when there is nothing under the tree for him to unwrap. Because all men are just little boys, right?lolol Good thing we have stashes of 'poo and razors, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.