Monday, February 26, 2024

This Week on the Dining Table..the Feb. 26th Edition

The "This is Not Good" Edition.......

A few months ago, I bought this can of clam chowder soup at Kroger.  I love me some clam chowder but old bay seasoning is usually not a part of a traditional clam chowder recipe.  Old Bay is what you put on steamed blue crabs up in VA/MD, where I grew up.

Even the color was not right but I tried it.  The Old Bay seasoning was quite pronounced and gave it a spiciness that clam chowder shouldn't have.  Had to throw most of it out as it was just not good.  Campbell's should stick to a traditional chowder recipe and reserve the Old Bay Seasoning for crabs.
Would you eat this?


This is day 260 of the new "way of eating".  Down 59 lbs. since the cruise(not counting the 8 I gained on the cruise and then lost again, which would make it 67 lbs.).  
Not actively trying to lose right now, just maintaining.  I plan on kicking the weight loss up again in March. ;-)

Onward to the meal planning!
This is what was planned for last week...........
1. Sunday--Ravioli, Green Beans, Garlic Bread
2. Monday--leftover Rigatoni(me), Chicken Enchiladas(Hubs)
3. Tuesday--Chicken Strips, Teriyaki Green Beans
4  Wednesday--Beef Pie
5. Thursday--Chicken Casserole or Fish and Cole Slaw
6.  Friday--Chicken Casserole or Fish and Cole Slaw
7. Saturday--Cheese Burgers(bun optional), Carrots?

And here's what actually happened......
1. Sunday--Ravioli, Green Beans, Garlic Bread
2. Monday--Asian Zalad(me), Chicken Enchiladas(Hubs)
3. Tuesday--leftover Ravioli, Salad
4  Wednesday--Beef Pie
5. Thursday--Chicken Strips, Teriyaki Green Beans
6.  Friday--Fish, Cabbage, Salad
7. Saturday--Chicken Casserole, leftover Cabbage

What got taken out of the freezer last week...
*  Ravioli
*  Green Beans
*  Chicken Strips
*  Fish

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 1 pack of Trout Fillets

Last week we spent $27.85 on grocery shopping for February.  I bought 1 sweet potato, 1 bunch of asparagus,  2 lbs. of strawberries, .50 lb. of rainbow trout fillets on clearance, 3 jars of pasta sauce and 1 orange ginger marinade all 1/2 price on clearance, a bottle of Lysol Sanitizer and 1 bottle of Suavitel Shed Shield.  The rebates earned back on the last 2 items gave me $1.43 in overage to put toward the produce, fish and sauces.

Total shopping comes to $668.62 for February.   
There are 3 shopping days left in February.  I doubt if I'll be heading to the grocery store again this month.

Rebate monies earned this month so far.....
I've earned $131.84 on Ibotta in February.
I've earned $50.00 on Shopmium in February.
I've earned $49.00 on Alexa app in February.
I've earned $4.00 on Kroger Cash Back in February.
I've earned $18.29 on TaDa in February.
I've earned $1.37 on Checkout51 in February.
I've earned $3.88 on Aisle.
I've earned 11,535 points on Fetch from food shopping in February.
I've earned 5,367 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in February
I've earned 0 SB from food shopping on Swag Bucks in February.

That is $205.38 in rebates(not counting the Kroger Cash Back/Shop Kick/Fetch/Alexa)on $668.62 of grocery spending so in reality it's $463.24 in food spending after the 4 rebate apps I count(the ones that give me cash back, not the ones that I turn the points into gift cards, or Alexa that gives me Amazon credit, and I count when those points are cashed in).

My savings percentage for the last week was 38.67% and the monthly savings total for February comes in at 48.83% spent so far.  Great savings percentage this month over reg. retail.

Leftovers going into this week....1/2 of a Beef Pie, 1 Chicken Enchilada, 1/2 of the Chicken Casserole, 1 helping of Cabbage.  That roasted whole chicken has shown up in many forms this past week.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Cheeseburger(bun optional), Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2. Monday--leftover Beef Pie
3. Tuesday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
4  Wednesday--TV dinners(ablation procedure)
5. Thursday--Fish, Asparagus, Baked Potato
6.  Friday--Pork Tenderloin Sammich, Salad
7. Saturday--Liver and Onions, Spinach Soufflè, Mashed Potatoes

Other than the leftovers and the TV dinners on Wednesday, the rest may be complete fiction. lol  Only time will tell.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy    

10 comments:

  1. As I am from New England, I wouldn't eat that. What's more, I believe it should be a crime to make such a concoction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you wouldn't eat Manhattan Cclam Chowder either.....

      Delete
    2. As long as you don't try to tell me it's New England clam chowder. That actually WAS a crime.

      Delete
  2. I make great clam chowder next time we are together I will make it. Well unless we are on a cruise and then I will just ask to use the kitchen....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I wouldn't eat it as I can just imagine it isn't something I would enjoy. I would have tossed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a large pot of potato leek soup using potatoes that were $1.99 for 10 pounds. It seems like I’ve had them for a long time but they haven’t sprouted. My new storage experiment is in a paper bag behind a couch in the basement.

    I’ve been growing basil in an Aero garden and it’s grown out of control. Tomato basil pasta is on the menu to use that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had, over the weekend, scrambled eggs with cheese, and cinnamon toast, cheeseburgers, hot dogs,
    coleslaw I made using the prepackaged and sliced tri colored slaw from Target, Clausen Pickles, a homemade hamburger, onion, rice,
    and cheese concoction that is my version of hamburger helper (which I have never actually had), “regular” clam
    Chowder, crunchy spinach (kid likes his spinach with just a little olive oil and salt, cooked in oven at 350 degrees until crunchy.) Tonight from the grocery store in the frozen aisle, PF Chang beef and broccoli, with homemade fried rice with shredded cabbage and carrots, kind of a deconstructed egg roll, and probably will have homemade tacos tomorrow, and maybe grilled cheese and tomato soup later in week because I don’t get paid until Friday…. Lolz. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur it doesn't look proper. People get awfully queer about their chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only would I not eat that chowder (Old Bay with clams???) but there is no way I would ever willingly touch the liver and onion meal. I would eat the chowder before that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat clams but Hubby does and yes he likes Old Bay seasoning in it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.