Friday, August 6, 2021

Frugal Friday.....the August 6th Edition

 Not much happened this week noteworthy as frugal but here are the highlights......

* No eating out or take-out at all.  This is a big win for us!

*  I did a smallish Walmart haul.


This(plus 2 items not pictured)turned out to be a $27.88 moneymaker.

* I also went to Weis(PMITA)Markets on Thursday just in time to use that .75¢ Catalina I found in the trash at Weis a couple of weeks ago.  I picked up a couple of peaches(our first of the season here), a couple of tomatoes for BLTs again and salads, a yogurt(45¢ after Q and rebate), a box of Zantac(a $2.81 moneymaker after double Qs), a big bottle of Heinz ketchup for .99¢ after store Q, a box of Kraft mac and cheese(.65¢ after rebate), a small can of dog food the puppies eat(.69¢ after rebate), 4 small cans of cat food for $1 total after double rebates(to take to my brother's kitties)and 3 boxes of cold cereal for .49¢ after double Qs(one of which I'll keep and the other two bound for the food bank).  I also bought a store brand Onion Dip because we have Fritos and well....onion dip! ;-)
Total OOP was $10.13 w/sales tax and I should receive $1.40 in rebates back on that spending.

*  I found money!!
Not much this week, at first.......

A penny at Walmart last Friday.  It was at the door as I loaded the groceries into the car and looked down under the cart  and it was staring up at me. 8-)


Then .11¢ last Saturday at my Rite-Aid.



Nothing else until Thursday at Weis(PMITA)Markets.  There were 4 pennies in the change slot of my self-checkout.  So I peeked into the slot of the other empty self-checkout on my way out of the store and spied a nickel and 4 more pennies to come home to live in my found change envelope.

Total Found This Week... .25¢
Total Found This Year....$13.03

*  I did a tiny bit of Rite-Aid shopping.........


The 6 packs and body wash Irish Spring are free this week at Rite-Aid($4 on sale and use the $2 in-ad Q + get $2 in Bonus Cash back for each one).  You will be sales tax on these though depending on your state, which made them a grand total of .24¢ here after Q and BC.
Not a lot of good deals this week unless your store has some 75% clearance items you need.  Next week there will be a $15 off WYSpend $60 in-ad Q however and I am hoping for some good Qs to pair with that but not holding my breath.



*  Continuing to use up garden goodies here.  We picked 3 more cukes and 1 zucchini this week.   I made more pickles and I've had two salads with fresh cuke.  I also put a sliced up zuke into the pickling brine.  There was zuke in the carrot cake, tempura zukee spears(which will be making another appearance soon), and a Spanish dish called Calabacin al Ajillo-grilled zucchini coins with garlic and parsley.  Still to come are a zucchini gratin casserole and a stuffed zuke(like a stuffed pepper dish)because this one is a big sucker and the seeds need to be scraped out of it first.  
After that I am raising the white flag of surrender and grating up the rest of any more zukes and throwing them into the freezer for baking season. lol
Now we wait for the tomatoes to ripen.......


July overall turned out to NOT be very frugal but for a reason(hello paying for Alaska flights and trip!)so I'll take any wins I can at this point. 8-)))


Any frugal wins at your house this past week?
Tell us all about them!

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. I've decided its patience I do not have for gardening, but it seems like the biggest win of all. Healthy food, exercise, and very little funds-if you are just buying seeds and afew starter plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. July was not frugal at all. We paid off the 2 loans (guess that might be frugal as the savings on the interest should be noted) and 1/3rd of the cost of the basement ramp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great week, Sluggy. It’s terrific that you had a moneymaker at Walmart. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the zucchini. Any time I see a neighbor during my morning workouts, I accost them & ask how they feel about zucchini & peppers. If they are positive, I immediately pick some & drop them off. It's a great way to get to know people. ;-)

    We already have SO MUCH shredded zucchini in the freezer. I made yummy zucchini coins this week, and will probably make zucchini "fries" again. And, of course, zucchini muffins.

    We're drowning in peppers here. I made 10 jars of pickled peppers (mixed with jalapenos, fresno & banana peppers) & we still have a ton left. I'm giving away the serranos as fast as I can pick them. The peppers adore our current weather.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.