Tuesday, August 17, 2021

What's Your Story Morning Glory?


It was a beautiful morning(cool for a change)on Sunday.  I happened to go out on the deck and noticed my morning glories were looking pretty darn good.

Lots of blooms!  As their name suggests they bloom in the morning and close up later in the day.  There are over 1,000 varieties of morning glory and they are related to the sweet potato.  The family is Concolvulaceae.


Can you see the pollen grains on the blooms below?


The flowers of the plant last one day before dying and dropping off.  Yet the vines produce oodles of blossoms for your viewing pleasure from late Spring to the first frost.


A close-up of a bloom with lots of pollen grains to entice bees and hummingbirds.


I tried to get a shot of a bee inside the flower above.  You can barely see their tiny bottom in the center of the flower.

Here is the bee leaving the bloom above.  

I haven't planted morning glories here in years since they just reseed themselves now and come back each Spring season.

I made a brief video below touring the vines.  No narration to ruin it but it was a nice quiet morning and the birds were singing.  Take a look....

Do you plant flowers?  Morning Glories perhaps?  They are really a low maintenance plant in my opinion except the vines will take over all your garden if you let them. ;-)

Sluggy

13 comments:

  1. Your morning glories are gorgeous. Mine have not fared so well. Pa. seed must not like Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be not enough sun, soil drainage or not enough water.....or you said, "Bless Your Heart" too much to them. -)

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful! I used to have 4 o’clock and they were also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of 4 o'clocks....would that be another term for Moon flowers?

      Delete
  3. They are a pretty morning site. I just have a few planters but enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do anything anymore to encourage them. They just spring up now annually. I don't have much of a green thumb btw.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful sight in your yard. I have never had morning glories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had them since the '80s when I first planted them at our first house. 8-)

      Delete
  5. Heavenly Blue Morning Glories are my favorite flower ever. They were also one of the first flower I ever grew as a child. When we lived in the southwest, I had them cascading over our privacy fence--so nice to go out to the pool in the morning with a cup of coffee and watch them open. The Heavenly Blue Morning Glories stayed open all day. Sadly, I can't get them to grow here in the PNW. We have wild morning glories, which are white, (look like a small moonflower) and I did get some tri colored ones to grow in the same pot as my thumbergenia--actually, the packet SAID they were Heavenly Blue, but, so far, every color BUT, and, they don't stay open all day. I get, perhaps, 3 blooms/day.
    I also love Moonflower--LOVED to see that open as the sun set by the pool. Fun fat: The Morning Glory is poisonous, and the seed is a powerful hallucinogenic. BUT...bees can make honey from the nectar of these poisonous flowers, and it is perfectly safe for humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the seeds are what indigenous peoples used as a natural form of LSD to have visions. My dogs love the seeds too. lol

      Delete
  6. I have lots of foliage, but not near as many blooms. Maybe I need chicken wire for better support. Yours are really exceptional. You might enjoy a moon flower because they bloom at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of white Moon flowers but have never seen them.

      Delete
    2. next spring plant moon flowers along with your morning glories and you will have blooms all day long

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.