Wednesday, July 14, 2021

The Great Bathroom Reno of 2021

 So I have looked and looked in my photo files and can NOT for the life of me find a single photo of our main upstairs bathroom.  After living here just shy of 21 years you'd think I'd be about to find at least ONE photo of it for a Before shot, huh?

Nope.  And I totally forgot to take any photos in that bathroom before the guy came out to renovate it.
I can describe it for y'all instead.  The room in general was tan and beige.   From the linoleum floor, to the toilet, to the tub to the sink and the wall colors it was all tan/beige.  The vanity that held the sink and the frame around the mirrored/medicine cabinet was high style oak wood of the 1980's when the house was built.  The only color(I don't consider tan/beige a color)in the room was the wall border that ran along the top of the walls(also very 1980's).  That was mostly tan/beige with a pop of moss green and was seashells.
Let's add that this room was on the North facing side of the house so it was always dark in there, even on a sunny day with that color scheme!  Plus, once the kids were old enough to clean their own bathroom I barely set foot in it again. lolz

So we had exactly TWO contractors return our calls and come out to the house and write up estimates for the job.  It was to be a total gut out-keep the walls but remove the flooring, the vanity, sink, mirrored medicine cabinet, light fixtures, overhead lights and vent, shower, tub and surround and floor moulding.  The only items we kept were the towel bar, the hand towel ring and the toilet paper holder.

We chose the contractor who could begin the job the soonest.  It helped that he was also much cheaper than the other contractor. lol  Contractor was a jack-of-all-trades one man operation while the guy who didn't get the job had a crew of helpers.

Our job "'should" have taken 5-7 business days except that we were held up by the tub surround walls as they were back ordered.  So except for that one thing the job came in on time.

I did remember to take some photos after the contractor started ripping out stuff......

A shot of the old sink and cabinet and the toilet. blah

A shot of the linoleum floor. Blah again

The underside of the tub partially removed.

Part of the shower surround wall laying on it's side in the hallway.  Blah blah blah

Where the oak framed mirror/medicine cabinet use to be.  Wall color Blah again.  I didn't get a shot of the de rigeur 1980's wall border at the top of the walls, seashells in a beige color scheme with "pops" of moss green or the bronze lighting fixture with old fashioned 1890's frosted shades.  8-P

Here are a couple of shots in progress......


The vanity and sink came in as well as the tub then we had a long Memorial Day weekend.


And he worked on everything else until the surround came in and once that was in it was fini!
So I present to you the renovated bathroom with painted walls.....



The wall color is a pale blue, the hardware is brushed nickel/chrome........



 A shower curtain I picked up to go with the room......

And the floor is a greyed wood look planked waterproof laminate with a dark grey moulding along the base of the walls which looks much better than the faux wood moulding the house came with in every room, including the bathrooms.

Other than the surround for the shower/tub the job went well and on time.  Using a local "one man band" operation(Hubs did have to lend a hand with two man jobs like removing the old toilet, etc.)not including paint supplies and labor to paint everything else was done by him and we paid $5,292 for this.(He didn't replace the towel holders or toilet roll holder so everything else in the room.)

Now I need to put police tape over the entrance or put a velvet rope across the doorway(like you see in old house museums to keep you from going in a room)so no one messes it up before we put the house on the market. 8-)

So tell me, where you live how much would a reno like this cost in your area?

Sluggy







16 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Sluggy! My favorite colors. You're not gonna believe it, but I just bought similar bathroom accessories too. I know exactly what brand & style this is. I settled on a deeper blue, but I have the same color bath mat. Great minds think alike...lol
    And blech, I hate browns. Our 2nd bathroom is done in brown, but DH mainly uses that bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it looks so good, Sluggy. I really like the pale blue wall color you picked out. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really nice! We hae to redo our master bath. I dread it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the cost of a reno here, but I am going to find out this fall when we redo our master bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Because of where you live, it will probably me much more.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I love the flooring! I have no idea how much that would cost where we live, but you know us, we'd probably do that all ourselves. The contractors here are not very reliable and not the greatest craftsmen either. If they are any good, they'd most likely be working in higher end homes. So you're really going to put the house up for sale? Where are you looking to relocate to? I'm way behind on my blog reading. I need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Around $11,000 for a gut and remodel here. When we redid this house $11,000, was the cost of the regular bathroom and wheelchair bathroom was $19,000 . We used top of line for the shower as we had a classmate run through the shower wall with her wheelchair so we went more solid for the walls as it's actually a one piece shower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A clean room? Put a padlock on that door! It looks nice, clean, and airy. I have been admiring a starfish hooked rug that would be perfect in that room. Of course, I am not buying it.
    https://akamai-scene7.grandinroad.com/is/image/frontgate/170250_main?$wfbd$&hei=602&wid=602&fit=fit,1&op_sharpen=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed that you are putting your house on the market! When are you planning to sell, and where are you moving to?

    Love the update, particularly the flooring & the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were laughed at for wanting to spend $10,000 on a renovation of the bathroom. I'm budgeting $15K now, but hope some things likeputting in the vanity outsleves and mirror and any painting might sav some cash. Yours is lovley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. Did you put in a higher toilet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your bathroom looks great! So bright and cheery. Love it!
    I'm not sure how much bathroom remodels cost here, but I'm wanting to redo our bathrooms. After I broke my ankle, it was difficult to get around in it, so I am hoping we can widen the door and put in a walk in shower. Dh is pretty handy, so I think he will be able to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks nice!! Our house was built in 1985. We had one bathroom gutted in July 2019 and it was 6800.00. There were no issues with plumbing, frame or electrical. We did have the tub removed and replaced by a walk in shower with a larger subway tile all around floor to ceiling. Glass shower doors. Ceramic tile flooring. Toilet, vanity, all lights and towel rack, tp holder all replaced. Ours did include the paint and new trim, door and baseboards. It took our contractor 3 weeks. We LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fantastic!! We just had to do the same thing except we had to replace every pipe in the house, so the bathroom was LITERALLY a dirt pit...I think we paid about $6,000 for everything having to do with the bathroom but we DID have to get new towel & toilet paper holders, lol. The contractor also put a niche in the shower wall to hold shampoo & body wash - my FAVORITE part of the whole remodel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice redo! I'm going to be renovating a small half bath (very small) on the first floor to accommodate my 94 year old father. Looking into using fixtures that they use in campers so that we can have a shower installed. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stinko Blooger.com is eating my comments again.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.