Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Haphazard Gardening at Chez Sluggy

Between unexpected trips this Summer and unexpected critters reeking havoc in the yard you've managed to put in a decent garden showing so far.

Unexpected was the Celosia we grew last year coming back(they are the light green plants).  None of bloomed yet so there is that to look forward to.


We planted striped petunias and coleus but we only got the one colorway as we were late to the nursery this year.


In the background is a decorative kale plant near the tomato plants.  We got green and red tipped ones.


This particular green one has really dwarfed everything else!  It's got to be 18 inches across, a monster!!


And at the back of the flower bed is a line of various types of tomatoes, doing well and getting heavy with fruit.

More Coleus and Petunias around the unknown shrubbery.

We have two half barrels in the back by the deck.  I found a violet plant that wintered over in the back garden bed so I moved it here when we planted the back bed.  There was some lettuce(since picked)and the Morning Glories then started expanding and taking over in here until the deer found it and have munched nearly everything down to the soil. sigh


Fortunately Hubs put a wire cage around the other barrel since I had moved my lavender plant from out front to here.  Some red lettuce came back from the seeds it shed last Summer and of course, the Morning Glories started expanding and overrunning everything.  Hubs ended up putting a netting over the barrel too as the deer found the lettuce and are eating everything that extended above the netting. lol


The lavender plant didn't bloom at all last Summer but it did in early June as you can seen above.  It smelled so great too.


Since the chipmunks dug up all the broccoli plants(making Chester exceedingly sad)the only thing in the back deck garden are tomato plants and morning glories.  The glories just started their never ending blooming late last week and we had about 6 in bloom this morning.

In the backyard garden one lone marigold has survived, along with lots of weeks and a few straggly green beans plants.  There will be no close-ups of the green beans so save Anne's sanity. ;-)


In the other bed the cukes are hanging over onto the walkway in their and the zuke plants are climbing the fence believe it or not. lol  My version of "Where's Waldo?" this Summer is "Where's the Zuke?"
If you look closely you'll see two almost ready to pick.  sigh. sigh. sigh.  Planting more than ONE zucchini plant should be against the law....am I right?  


This pot of min-petunias I bought Spring of 2020.  When Fall came I had Hubs put it in the garage in a garbage bag, thinking I'd reuse the pot next Spring.
Well we go to get it out and the plant was still alive!  I trimmed it back some and we kept it watered until the rains hit and it's growing mini-petunias again.  You can't see the color well in this shot but it was a nice surprise!

That's about all that's growing around here.
How are your gardening efforts going?

Sluggy




5 comments:

  1. This is a sore spot for me since last year something ate all my vegetables except for two grape tomatoes and two tiny squash. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going pretty well - have green beans, zucchini, acorn squash, eggplant, & millions of peppers. for some reason my cakes are not doing well at all and I have tons of different varieties...very sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried growing a butterfly garden from seed this year. It's a mess. Are you supposed to pinch off the plants as they grow? We didn't and now the zinnias and cosmos are tall and lanky and falling over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not have the gardening bug this year. Maybe next year. There is a bucket of Sage that has multiplied exponentionally from last year, but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our garden is going green! Green beans that is. I can't keep up with them.
    Our zucchini has done nothing this year and I am ready to pull them up. We still have enough growing season to plant and harvest something more interesting!
    Tomatoes here? The jury is still out. They are growing but we have had so much rain they are splitting before ripening.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.