Monday, December 11, 2017

This Week on the Dining Table

The "New Twist on a Familiar Recipe" Edition--


Last Monday because I had a TON of fresh mushrooms to use up I made my Beef Stroganof recipe but left out the beef and just used a LOT of mushrooms.  And we didn't even miss the meat in this dish......well Hubs did. ;-)
If you need to reduce the amount of meat you use/eat for whatever reason, I'd recommend doing so this way.

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--
1. Sunday--Fresh Mushroom Soup, French Bread
2. Monday--Mushroom Stroganof, over Leftover Mashed Taters, Asparagus
3. Tuesday--Sloppy Joe, Rolls, Carrots
4. Wednesday--Tacos
5. Thursday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Caesar Salad
6. Friday--Leftovers
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what actually happened--
1. Sunday--Fresh Mushroom Soup, French Bread
2. Monday--Mushroom Stroganof, Rice, Asparagus
3. Tuesday--Sloppy Joe, Rolls, Carrots
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Tacos
6. Friday--Leftovers
7. Saturday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread

Pretty much the plan happened but not in the order or on the days planned.No leftover mashed taters so I made rice for the Stroganof. The last of the French bread became garlic bread for the spaghetti meal.  We used up and ate all those packages of mushrooms I got for .50¢ each and no leftovers there.  Daughter tried her hand at making fresh Mushroom Soup and it was nothing like that canned cream of mushroom stuff.  Yum!

Last week saw 5 night of home cooked dinners, 2 nights of leftovers/fend for yourself, 0 nights of take-out and 0 nights of Eating out.
Weis, Maines and Bread Outlet shopping last week and the bill came to $119.03.  That brings December's food spending to $168.88.  There are 20 more days in my shopping month.

My savings percentages last week was 53.48% and the monthly savings so far ends up at 53%(without Rite-Aid trips added in).

Leftovers going into this week.......sloppy joe meat, spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--homemade Tomato Soup w/Veggies and Pasta, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
2. Monday--Pork Chops, Grilled Asparagus
3. Tuesday--Fried Fish, Home Fries, Brussels Sprouts
4. Wednesday--Leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
5. Thursday--Chicken Sausages, Roasted Veggies
6. Friday--Homemade Pizza, Caesar Salad
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 5 new meals cooked, 2 nights of leftovers, 0 nights of Take-out.

The only thing I need to buy to make these meals is nothing I think. 8-) 

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I could gladly substitute mushrooms for the meat. that would work in spaghetti for me. All food plans went off as planned. I am finishing off the chicken, salad, and sweet potatoes. Today, I am starting soup I will not eat. Then, I will make spaghetti for me. So far, no deals as the ads come on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win either of your box giveaways!

    merlinsfamily@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was traveling, so the boys ate a variety of freezer options + went out once. That's there normal pattern. I was thrilled I had dinners in the freezer, because I don't tend to cook on the weekend I come back either. Jet lag. So, now we're working our way through the freezer stash, and the trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beef stroganoff I am mad-jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robb would just DIE if we had to cut meat from his diet... especially if we substituted with mushrooms. He hates them. I might as well substitute with coconut.
    But I love em, so I buy them for myself. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.