Saturday, August 26, 2017

Frugal Friday.....the August 25th Edition on Saturday

Frugal Things I've done lately--


*  I forgot this one from our trip.  I purchased two cans of coffee for Hubs while on our road trip.
They were marked down to $1 a can. They had been previously marked down to $2 per can.  Coffee "keeps" well past the sell by date stamped on them, especially if they are not opened.  Once opened you can keep the cans in the fridge for added shelf-life.
The blend says it's "light".  No clue what THAT means but if it's too weak Hubs can mix these with the bags of espresso roast he has to make them stronger.


*  We needed a new bathroom scale as the Daughter broke mine right before we left on our trip.  I gave Hubs a coupon to use and he found one below $40 that was similar to our old scale.  Saved 20% off that purchase by printing out a coupon.

*  In prep for canning tomatoes this year I dug out my old supplies in the garage to see what I had.......
I found 32 quart jars and bands.  Now I know how many bushels of tomatoes to buy(without overbuying and wasting some)and how many jar lids to purchase.

*  When we travel and stay in motels I avail myself of all the freebies offered.  Here is what I brought home from the month long road trip...............


The only items not shown are some K-cups from one motel room which I gave to Sonya Ann on the way home(as she has one of those evil Keuring machines).  This will all get used one way or another(some tucked into giveaway boxes perhaps?)and will cut down a bit on having to buy things like shampoo, conditioner, pens, tea bags, coffee, soap and tiny packets of pb and j.

*  The College Boy got taken back to school this past week.

Here is what my living room looked like before he left...........


And here it is after the cargo van got packed up.............


How is this frugal?  Well the van rental wasn't(but had to be done)but...... I AM looking forward to all that grocery and utility money I will be saving while he is gone.  ;-)

What frugal moves did you make this past week or so?

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when they leave?! You will miss him but not the mess. He is so cute, I am surprised he hasn't been snatched up by some girl. I am canning peaches today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my frugal items:

    1. Went to Target to get some over-sized T-shirts (paid $4.00 each on clearance)
    2. Utilized work's free fruit program to supplement snack time.
    3. Did not make extra trips this week to save on gas.
    4. Raided pantry for meals for dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own that exact weight watchers scale, it's really accurate. We've had it for 2 years now and no issues. Great deal on the coffee. We keep ours in the freezer as I only drink instant once in a blue moon (tea drinker) and hubby drinks brewed but only about 1 per week as it is hard on his stomach. Keeps forever that way, never had it go off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read an article on 'proper coffee making' which said don't buy any grounds and don't store'em in the fridge either. I think I trust you more than Cook's Illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to buy those scales, but I figured since they are practically invisible, I would trip on them. Good buy, though.

    That's a lot of freebies, but you did a lot of motels for many days.

    I'm still recovering from Totality and still have hives, so I have little motivation. I did get a whole bag of free UK sweets today, like I need them!

    I have free potatoes and free ground beef thawing in order to cook meat loaf and potatoes for exbf when he comes on Monday. We will have salad with that and corn. So, dinner will be free except for the salad greens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm, other than my grocery challenge, nothing stsmds out. I had a fail with $2.49 avocados. CB is a handsome man. I hope he has a really good semester.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOthing frugal, trying to save the blog with my new URL. But seriously I need to start saving all those motel things when I travel. Im one of those allergic types who takes my own stuff so it almost all ends up being unsued, darn it!

    LIving Richly in Retirement is now at richlyretired.blogspot.com. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hotel freebies are far more organized than mine! My Hubby stays in hotels a lot and always brings home the extras he doesn't use. Thankfully, other than needing to use Dove soap in the dry Winter months, I'm not particular when it comes to soap, shampoo, etc!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.