Thursday, February 12, 2015

Clarification on the Food Budget & Donations

Ok everyone, when I said I was considering separating our food bank purchases from our "gonna use this" food purchases I meant setting aside a bit of money outside of our reg. food budget to make these purchases, versus including the food bank items in our reg. monthly food budget.

I do keep track of all food bank items donated during the year and declare it for tax purposes already, that's not the issue.

Should I say give myself a monthly food budget of whatever(use to be $400 mo.)and then give myself a separate pool of cash to pay for donated items out of, instead of my food budget?

Maybe designate a part of our yearly Charitable $ giving Budget for buying items for the food bank or carve out a chunk of the regular Food Spending Budget to pay for these food donations?

$400 or $350 or whatever I spend a month is already tight so using a piece of the Charity $ might be the way to go with this.


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I thought that I was saying that! You won't believe this, but I am tracking grocery spending this month. But, there is a stock-up component, sort of like what I was thinking you could do to keep it all separate from your eating money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have a monthly budget just for donations. It keeps me on track, but allows for charitable donations throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the donations should be separate. It's way too hard to keep your monthly total so low. Ask me how I know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the donations should come from the donation budget and the food budget be for your household....and family members that may shop there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.