Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Baking Day Check-In #3

While the Bread Dough was rising I mixed up the Pumpkin Roll batter.  Here it is in the pan....before adding the walnuts.



It was baked at 375F for 15 minutes.



After it cooled, I carefully removed it from the pan onto a clean kitchen towel.



Oops!  It cracked.....

Since it cracked I decided to divide the sheet of pumpkin into 3 strips.
I then sliced each strip, so I had 2 layers.  I had to do this because I had doubled the recipe(because of the size of my pan).  Unfortunately, that made my cake too thick to roll.  So I had to split it to make it thin enough to roll.


This gave me 6 pumpkin sheets to roll......well, actually it gave me 4 sheets to roll and 1 thick sheet that cracked. 

Each split sheet was placed on a clean kitchen towel.  Then the sheet and towel were rolled up together.  You have to do this while the cake is warm and let it cool rolled up.  If you don't and then try to roll the cake after it's room temperature with the filling and nuts on, your cake will crack badly.
Leave your cakes rolled in towels to cool.
Then unroll carefully.



 Each sheet gets covered with the filling of cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar.
Then chopped walnuts were added.


A sheet of parchment paper was laid down on the table and the towel with the filled pumpkin sheet was placed on top.  Now began the tricky part--the rolling.
Using the towel for a guide, reroll your cake, but this time, don't roll the towel with the cake.  It's kind of like making sushi rolls....the towel is your bamboo mat.


 Rolling in progress.....



Roll some more.....


Almost done now....


Ta-Daa!!
 Now for some powdered sugar on the outside.....




Doesn't that look good enough to eat?lol

Then you roll the Pumpkin Roll up into the parchment paper it's on.  These are destined for the freezer, so I then rolled mine in a sheet of foil, crimped the ends and labeled the outside whether it had nuts in it or not.


Four Pumpkin Rolls all done and ready for the Holidays ahead.

So what to do with the 1/3 of the Pumpkin Sheet that cracked?  Cut squares, put the filling on top and sprinkle with nuts.....a plate of Pumpkin Bars to enjoy now.



While I was playing with Pumpkin Rolls, the French Bread and Brioche finished rising.
These were divided and shaped into 4 balls.  Covered and left to rest for 10 minutes.



Then half the dough was put into loaf pans(2 balls=2 pans) and the other half of the dough was formed into batards....the traditional French Bread shape....on a greased rimless cookie sheet.   The tops were snipped with kitchen shears.


All loaves were covered and left to rise again for 1 hour or so.


The Brioche Dough was also formed into balls and plopped into greased rectangular pans to rise again under their kitchen towel covers.

I cleaned some major baking messes and I am off again to check on my Bread loaves and hopefully pop them into the oven, as it's been about an hour since they were left to rest.

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Now I'm hungry. That looks super good.
    And I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help on my blog. You are a good friend and its nice to have someone spell it out for me.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rolling!!!!! I really stink at that, but my mom was a great roller, too :) It's an art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty--Thanks! It was my 1st time doing a roll...I can't believe in all these yrs. I've never made a roll before. Maybe I have a gift? and I should take up sushi making too!lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. SonyaAnn--
    Aw shucks....you are just so kind! I was feeling a bit blue today and that picked me right up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.