Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No Black Friday Here!



Ok....I am going to shock a bunch of you readers today.
Especially if you have read my shopping exploits all these past months.
Ready??

I do NOT go shopping on Black Friday!

There I said it and I was not struck down by lightning.

Ok, so why does a Shopping Maven like myself NOT imbibe in this Buying Holiday Ritual? 
No, I am not Scrooge or the Grinch or Anti-Christmas/Hanukkah in any way, shape or form.

My reasons....
I do not enjoy crowds of surly people.
I do not enjoy standing in long lines, especially if it involves doing so in cold weather.
I do not enjoy being led by retailers like sheeple on the pretense of getting a "deal" that probably isn't.
And mostly....
I do not enjoy the mindlessly consuming of STUFF!

 Add in that I don't enjoy DEBT....because that is what happens when you mindlessly comsume and spend all your money, or worse, spend money you Do NOT have.....can you say Credit Cards?...hello??

But if Black Friday is a day you enjoy the commraderie and excitement of going shopping, the best of luck to you in your pursuit.

Please keep in mind these points before you go....

1. Stay Safe!
Every year we hear reports of people being injured or even killed on Black Friday(remember that poor Security Guard at WalMart who was trampled to death?).  In your haste to get a deal, don't put yourself in a situation where you could be trampled in a rush to get into a store or to a limited quantity item.  Also don't get into a tug-of-war with other shoppers over a product.  Some folks, as my momma would have said, "are not raised right", and would just as soon hit you as smile at you if you try to take the last $2 toaster from the bin that they had their hands on when you went to grab it too.

2. Don't Stand in Lines for Hours.
Getting some valuable, highly sought after item for a really low price is exciting, I'll grant you that.  But think about what you are willing to do to get it for cheap.  How valuable is your time?  How much of that time are you willing to trade for a inexpensive electronic or 'hot' toy?  Is saving $50 on it's price worth spending 3 hours of your time waiting in dark frigid weather for a store to open?  Especially when that same electronic/toy will probably be on sale for a lot less next month or so, for what they are charging for it today?

If those lines entail waiting outside for a store to open it's doors, please be aware of what is going on around you.  If the store is in a questionably safe part of town and it's still dark outside please be vigilant and safety-minded.(This also would fall under #1 above.)  Many is the time someone has been attacked while waiting outside in the wee hours of the morning.  Also be aware that many people have been assaulted or robbed upon leaving a store if they were successful in obtaining some very limited item.  The frenzy retailers whip people up into selling these highly-limited-special-price-items makes some folks so crazy if they don't get the goods, that they'll commit a crime to get the item from you!  Don't be a victim of this.

3. Do some research and a reality check before you go.
Don't get blinded by consuming lust in regard to the Deals available on Black Friday.  Those glossy ads for that Plasma TV or whatever are created to suck you into spending money, true.  But make sure what they are advertising and what you are buying is truly a Good Deal.  Many times the 'incredibly low priced item' on Black Friday is a Non-Standard model or what they call a 'derivative' in the business.  It will not be the same as the standard model that sells for regular price.  There will be less features or other differences(made of cheaper materials, less or no warranty, etc.) in Black Friday's model.  That is why they can offer it so cheap.  That $2 toaster is probably only worth $2 and it might be just something else to dispose of in 6 months.  Retailers don't give you a great deal out of the goodness of their hearts.  They are in business for one reason....to make money.  To think anything else is naive on your part.
I'd recommend for starters that anyone who is 'chasing the deals' on Black Friday read THIS ARTICLE before shopping this year.  I think in regards to the 'deals' on Black Friday you need to keep the old adage, "You get what you pay for" in mind.

4. Remember what makes sense for your Budget and don't stray from that!  
It's so easy, given the mass hysteria atmosphere in the stores on Black Friday, to spend too much money.  Buying something just because it is a STEAL is very common.  There is a physiologically proven "rush" to your system (via endorphins)when you get a bargain.  But raise your hand if you have succumb to buying a bargain just for the sake of it being a bargain, and when you got something home had no clue WHY you bought it and wish you had your hard-earned dollars back.  Before you hand over your money at the register, ask yourself, "do I REALLY NEED THIS ITEM?".  If the thrill of the moment has you in it's grips, try walking around the store with the item in your cart for awhile until you can think with a clear head.  You might find you end up telling yourself you can pass this bargain up and go on to the next deal.
If you are going shopping, take CASH ONLY and leave your credit cards at home.  Or if you plan on spending a lot of money and taking cash would be foolhardy(see #1 above), take a Debit Card that will deduct the money spent from your bank account directly.
And stick to a budgeted amount to spend.  Make this Holiday Season the first one where you have everything paid for BEFORE the HOLIDAY!  It makes for a much more enjoyable Holiday if you don't live with that thought in the back of your mind that you'll be paying it all off for months to come.

So why, you may ask, doesn't Sluggy feel the need to have to chase all those potential bargains on Black Friday?  I'll tell you.
Besides not enjoying crowds, cold, lines & too-much stuff, I don't have to endure those things to save a few dollars during the Holidays.

Because dear readers, if you look to the right along the side of my blog you'll see the evidence in my SAVINGS TOTALS for the YEAR, that I've spent wisely, using sales and coupons all year long.  Having managed my money throughout the year means I don't have to be a crazy person(my apologies to any crazy people out there) when it comes to saving on Holiday spending.  I don't go hog wild consuming at the Holidays like many in our culture.  Between living a frugal life during the rest of the year and spending moderately during the Holidays I have a paid off house, no credit card debt, no car payment, and I can put money away for emergencies, my kid's college and retirement.

So ask yourself what would you rather have?
Piles and piles of Stuff and no money to show for all your hard work?
Or no debt, high savings, a little bit of stuff and the freedom to live your life without owing anyone anything?
I know what I'd pick.....and have! ;-)

Happy Shopping and Stay Sensible.  I'll think of you while I'm toasty and warm in bed until Noon on Friday.


Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Great Post! I do go shopping on Black Friday, but I go with no expectations. For me it's more about spending time with my mom then getting a "deal"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't go shopping on Black Friday because usually I'm too broke to! I'm usually scrambling for our Thanksgiving get-together and will be this Friday too.
    1/2 of our overnight guests will tho, and don't let the door hit you when you go!! Not that I don't like them or anything.. but the house is a little quieter when they do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post!!!!! And so very right on the money :) And I LOVE the term "sheeple" - that's hysterical!! Thanks for brightening up my day with this post!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.