Tuesday, September 8, 2009

KMart Double Coupons Week of Aug. 30th-Sept. 5th....Grand Total for the Week

 As for KMart discontinuing their Double Coupons Events for the rest of 2009.....
I am torn.

In one way I am glad but in another I am sad.
Sad obviously because I'll not be shopping at KMart and getting products for free or almost free, not to mention the items I get a really good deal on too.
Glad would be because I have NO willpower against these double coupon weeks and I have 3 KMarts in my area(one being located a few scant miles from my front door).  Though I have spent very little cash at KMart this year, I have TONS of products-even after holding my Garage Sale in July.
Frankly, I am so tired & shopped out!
And it's all your fault KMart, ya hear me?!?! 8-))



So last week was my KMart Swan Song for 2009.
sniff....sniff....


Sunday morning hubby & I were in western PA, having dropped off #1 son at college.  Of course, I had to hit the local KMart near our hotel before hitting the road to head home....wouldn't you?lol
Now I had heard about what some KMarts have been doing during Double Coupons Weeks but I witnessed it firsthand in this particular KMart.
Some one in charge at some stores get ahold of the current coupon database and go around and yank all the items off the shelves that would be free with a doubled coupon.  That way, the store doesn't have to sell them at a loss.  Of course, no one can prove anything because KMarts regularly run out on the shelves of these items, usually early in the week if not the first day of the Double Coupon sale.
Nice and devious, right?
The store management wins because they can report to corporate that they Chose to participate(which corporate likes and the store gets a 'Gold Star' for conduct) AND they don't have to take a hit on their profit margins since they aren't actually selling anything for free.  Win-Win for the store, Lose-Lose for the customers.

After months and months of KMart Double Coupons Week shopping, I am old hat at what items are free after a doubled coupon.  So, of course I brought every coupon with me on the trip to take son to college, as I knew the DC Sale was starting the morning we left the western part of the state.  And if I happened to drive by a KMart participating in the sales promotion, I was surely going to go in and do some shopping!

The dingy old tiny KMart in Meadville, PA I went into had cleared the shelves of all the food/toiletries/hba products that were free after doubled coupons!
Every.
Single.
Item I looked for.
I KNOW it was NOT a case of other shoppers had beaten me to the store and bought every single free after coupons item.
Nope.
We got to the store very EARLY in the morning.  Employees were still arriving.  No one in the store(ok maybe 3 people shopping but in the clothing & toy sections)and a couple cars in the parking lot.  No shoppers would have had the time or couponage to clear the shelves in the entire store!
Nope.
It was an inside job!

Ok, for argument's sake, I will mention that the only valid explanation(besides the DEVIOUS ONE)for the lack of 'free after doubled coupons items' on the shelves would be that the store had NOT restocked ANY products in the week between the last Double Coupons Week(IF this store had participated)and the Double Coupons Week that had just begun that morning.
But my conspiracy theory warped mind highly doubts this is the case.

Anyway, it was highly unpleasant to find this kind of thing firsthand.  And as a result, I ended up spending Out of Pocket at this store WAAAAAY more than I usually do, which brought my Savings % totals for the week down from something like 98.5% to 93.86%!
Bleh.
And Pppbbbbbbbttttttt! to you KMart in Meadville, PA!!
Shame on you Mr/Mrs. Manager of same!

I spent a ridiculous $29.11(including tax)at that KMart!  I had some $3 coupons that were expiring for Dog Food that I wanted to use, so that added to my OOP.  The dog food was still a good buy however!
I also forgot my Axe coupons and this store had the free movie ticket deal(WYB 3 Axe products), so I bought 3 Axe items without coupons....ACK!...spending $12.03 to get a $12 ticket.  Not bad but not great.

Fortunately, after this rocky start to my KMart Double Coupons Week shopping, I recovered nicely and ended the week with 14 Transactions.

I just happened to need refills on 2 prescriptions, so after transferring them to KMart last week, I had $35 in KMart Gift Cards to play with, as well as 2 Prepaid Visa Cards from Staples Rebates that came in the week before.  So the bulk of my "what I owed" after the coupons came off, got paid with Gift Cards, sending my OOP for the week from $93.36 to $37.65.

My actual Out of Pocket for the rest of the week was $8.54(including tax), for a total OOP of $37.65.
The value of everything I bought came to $613.12.
That's a Savings of 93.86% 

Add in the following 'perks' as well....
$12 Movie Ticket
$2.79 Rebate for buying Palmolive Pure + Clear Dishwashing Soap.  With the $1 coupon doubled it cost me $.79.

2 x $10 Fuel for School Rebates for buying Special K Bars and Rice Krispy Treats=$20
(With sales prices & coupons doubled, the 2 sets of 10 Kellogg's products set me back $9.37 & $9.92 OOP respectively,so they are tiny moneymakers.  I saved the KMart FFS Rebate forms from an old KMart ad in the newspaper-this one has a different PO Box than the other Rebate forms I've seen, so you can send for this one as well as the others, making FOUR different Rebate addresses I can use.  I'll send for a Rebate for myself and for BIL at his address for these KMart purchased items.)


After I get the $22.79 in Rebates my actual KMart OOP spending falls to $14.86! (97.58% Savings)


Here's a list of everything I bought last week during the KMart Double Coupons Event. I have added in red what I actually paid for them individually after the doubled coupons.  Add in assorted $3 or $5 off when you spend XX$s Coupons, so the 'actual' what I spent on any item is lower than what is quoted here, but it's pretty close.

FOOD
Hershey's Syrup  4 $1.00
Bumble Bee Tuna  6 FREE
Salad Dressing   2  .29¢
Cereal  1  .29¢
Protein Bars   4  FREE
Grape Jelly   2  .50¢
Purevia Sugar Substitute  1 .49¢
Butterfinger Bags   4  $1.50
Amp Drinks  46  .25¢
Venom Drinks  4  FREE
12 packs of Soda 8  2@$1.00/4@$1.67/2@FREE
Lifesaver Bags   17  FREE
Raisinets (Box of 6)   2  $1.00
Rice Krispy Treats   6  $1.17   
Special K Cereal Bars  14  4@$1.00/10@$1.50
Candy Bars  36  FREE
Trident Gum Packs  6 (double packs)  .19¢ or FREE(depending on store's price)
Extra Gum 3 pack  1  $1.49

PET FOOD
Dog Chow(22lb. bag)  1  $10.99(my coupon had expired but I bought it anyway)
Hartz Dog Biscuits  5  1@FREE/4@$1.00
Milkbones Biscuits  1  FREE
GoodLife Small Bags Dog Food  2  $2.99

TOILETRIES
Bic Razors   3  FREE
Secret Deodorant  11  FREE
Dove Deodorant  12   FREE
Tag Deodorant  4  FREE
Dial Deodorant  4  FREE
Axe Deodorant  1  $3.79
Axe Body Wash   2  $3.95/$4.29
VO5 Shampoo  21  .42¢
Vaseline Lotion  4  FREE
Dial Body Wash   1  $1.00
Toothbrush Twin Pack  1  .19¢
Dental Floss   1  FREE
Dental Floss Picks  1  .19¢

Nail Polish  6  3@.99¢/3@.29¢
Clean & Clear Face Cleaner  2  .49¢
Visine  4  FREE
Tweezers  1 .29¢

CLEANERS/PAPER PRODUCTS
Palmolive Dish Soap  1  .79¢(before Rebate)
Ajax Dish Soap  4  FREE
Huggies Wipes   4  FREE
Dial Hand Soap  5  1@$1.50/4@.40¢
Ziploc Bags   2  $1.00
Renuzit  Air Cleaner(double pack)  1  $1.89
Playtex Gloves  3  FREE
Wet Ones Wipes  2  FREE
Kotex  2   $1.49($6.99 packages on clearance for $3.49-$1Q doubled)
Hefty Bags  1  $5.49

MISC.
Notebook Tab Dividers  1  $3.29(not on sale/no coupon...the kids needed)
Batteries(8 pack)  1  $2.99

And here are the pictures.
First the Devious KMart in western PA....(2 Amps & Dog Food bags are missing)....
Then Trip #2 that evening at home.....
 I just ran out of time and energy during the week to photograph it all separately.  I photographed the trips on 9/3 separately, but the rest are all grouped together.  These 12 trips were over the course of 3 days at the end of the week.  Midweek I was dealing with the 2 kids left at home getting back to school and into a regular routine again.Not pictured are the 8 12-packs of Soda, the 20lb. bag of Dog Food, the tweezers, the tab dividers, the Tylenol Arthritis, 2 of the nail polish, some of the Amp Drinks and a few candy bars(the kids & I are to blame for that one.lol).

First the 2 trips on 9/3/09....

Now the other 10 trips on friday & saturday all together....not great photo quality and you can't see the duplicates of items behind each other very well in some shots.
 
Adieu KMart doubles.....adieu!


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. Yikes!! I can see why you would be worn out after those trips :) Great deals that you snagged though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. You save so much money. And I agree with you that the ---- managers pull all the items off of the shelves. My favorite is the Walmart by me that won't let you use coupons. It is getting out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard that Kmart announcement - of course, we lost our Kmart a few years ago so that's probably why. But was this a nationwide decision to stop doubling?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.