Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cap'n Crunch FRENCH TOAST

If you have kids who love Cap'n Crunch Cereal, then you are going to have to try Cap'n Crunch French Toast. I saw this recipe on an episode of that Food Network Show, "Diners Drive-Ins & Dives". One of the Diners the host featured on the episode has this treatment for French Toast on their menu. Something about this just called my name! And when I scheduled a BREAKFAST FOR DINNER into the Meal Plan, I got my chance to give it a whirl.

Here is what you do.....
Grab a box of Cap'n Crunch, a Ziploc type baggy and a rolling pin.

Pour about 2-3 cups of the Cereal into the baggy and seal it. Leave some air in the bag before you close it. Lay the sealed baggy flat and use the rolling pin to crush the cereal until it looks pulverized like this....
Pour the freshly crushed up cereal into a bowl or platter.
Next make your egg wash (eggs beaten up in some milk).
Heat up your griddle. When it's hot and ready to cook, dip your bread slices in the egg/milk batter quickly and then into the crushed cereal crumbs, flipping the bread to coat both sides.

Then place your coated bread slices on the griddle and brown, flipping to brown both sides. When done, serve immediately.

First off, you will NOT have to call the kids to eat. The sweet Cap'n Crunch smell will permeate your house and the young ones will be drawn to the stove like fleas on a dog.
Sorry I don't have a nice photo of this French Toast artistically plated. It was all I could do to get it off the griddle without the kids drooling all over it.
Before letting the kids pour their usual 1/2 a bottle of syrup on their French Toast, make them taste this Cap'n C. variety first. Even the biggest sugar fiend may find that syrup is unnecessary. I'd suggest a light dusting of powdered sugar instead or some fresh fruit.
I will also tell you that you want to use a firm, or even dense bread for this French Toast. For goodness sakes, don't use Wonder Bread or any lighter than air white bread for this! Between dipping into the batter and then having to coat both sides with the cereal crumbs, you'll probably end up with torn bread by the time it makes it onto the griddle. Try to sneak in a nice wheat or other heavy grained bread. With this sugary sweet coating on the bread, the kids will hardly object or even recognize they are eating healthy grains underneath.

As for being a healthy meal, well......'parts' of it are-the eggs, milk & bread. lol The Cap'n Crunch coating means you don't need to use syrup so it's probably no worse for you than regular French Toast w/syrup.
It was a fun thing to try but not something we'll make a habit of eating on a regular basis.
Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. hey! my husband has a recipe for this using chicken! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that recipe recently on tv.....if it's the one where you mix the crushed CC with bread crumbs.
    Some day maybe I'll get up the nerve to try that one!lol
    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.