Saturday, April 8, 2023

Another Celebrity Genealogical Connection

 It's always interesting to me when I find a genealogical connection to a known celebrity, be it in the arts, politics or historical figure.

I was watching "Finding Your Roots" this past Tuesday evening and one of the guests was actor Billy Crudup.  They mentioned his paternal grandmother was a woman named Priscilla Anne Parham, born 1922 in Henderson North Carolina.

Being as all my maternal ancestors are more or less from Virginia originally, going back to Jamestown, my ears perked up.  Especially since I have direct ancestors with the surname of Parham.

We share a common direct ancestor in Thomas Parham Jr who was born about 1665 in Charles Citie, one of the eight original counties of the Virginia Colony and died in 1717 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia Colony.  He may have also lived in Prince Georges County at some point and the place of his burial is unknown at this point.  Thomas Parham Jr married Elizabeth "Jane" Branch in 1685 in Charles Citie County.  Their known offspring are Amelia, Thomas III and William Parham.  My line goes down from William Parham and his wife Anne Stith,  and Billy Crudup's line goes down from Thomas Parham and his wife Mary Isham.  As luck would have it I also have the surname Isham in my direct line(though I haven't fleshed out how we are related on that line)so that makes us double cousins!  My most recent Isham ancestor is Mirah Dorcas Isham Foster(a widow with two sons by her first marriage), born 1587 in Hertfordshire England died 1670 in Lower Norfolk Count Virginia Colony married Bartholomew Hoskins, one of the "Ancient Planters" of Virginia, at St. Dunstan's Church 3 July 1628 in Stepney London before setting sail on the ship named the "Safety" in 1635 for Jamestown.

My most recent Parham ancestor is Jane Parham(1738-1804), the daughter of Ephraim Stith Parham(William's son).  Billy's most recent Parham ancestor is his paternal grandmother Priscilla Anne Parham.


William Gaiter "Billly" Crudup is my 8th cousin 1 x removed.



Billy did the voice over for MasterCard commercials for 14 years so I am sure you know his voice if not his face.  In this one he actually appears in this commercial as the gas station employee.


And here he is winning his first Tony Award in 2007.....


Just a little interesting tidbit. 8-)
Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. I know my maternal ancestors well since six generations are buried in the same cemetery in Alabama.
    Before that they were in Spartanburg, South Carolina for generations so we are good and hillbilly… lol. My own kids were born in Mississippi bc I was taking the bar there when oldest was born m, and worked there when other three were born. We migrated back to my home state bc of job when they were young. Grandkids born in Utah where their dad’s family has lived since they were one of original pioneer families there. It is interesting how jobs and being close to family play a role where we end up living a lot of the time. I know a lot of seniors are looking at living in other countries because it is cheaper but I am not that adventurous. Especially since I could barely function this last week with my back, there is no way I want to end up overseas away from family to help me. I have helped them also and don’t want to have to deal with international flights to get to them if needed. I remember the absolute S$&@show Covid made international flying there for a while. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. He plays the husband/ex husband in Eat Pray Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW I know why I liked you immediately (in blogland)! You're a true Virginian!! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two weeks ago I showed my wife the big article on Sally Parham. Her account of black murder of master was absolutely accurate. I also had a Revolutionary story about Lieut. Parham at Stono Ferry. Asa with the big beard is my 9th cousin 6 times removed. Thomas Parham II is my 8th Great Grandfather. I saw the show last night and rushed down to my computer. I had the Sally story of the murder in my AN OKIE'S RACIAL RECKONINGS already but I am putting in the Stono story now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Thomas Parham II who died in 1717 is the one referenced, we are related, as he is my 8th GGrandfather too(through my maternal grandfather's line). Do you have a blog where this Okie's Racial Reckonings is or is it a book title? Please let me know. My 3rd GGrand Uncle thru my maternal grandmother was lynched by a group of his neighbors and I have a number of slaves slaying their owners in my family tree. OTOH I have a number of black and part indigenous cousins too(including the Hemings/Jefferson offspring).

      Delete
    2. Crudup is a 15th cousin of mine through the Costners and Tindalls. That means he is about a 17th cousin of Kevin Costner! Or 18th!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.