Saturday, April 29, 2023

What's Been Happening Around Here Lately

I had an appointment with our dr. on the 14th of April to get a neurology consult and to let her know what is going on with my possible knee replacement plus she wanted fasting blood work done.  So Hubs and I show up and the office staff was pretty nonchalant about telling us they had canceled our appointments. Huh?
Plus they never texted us beforehand about the cancellation.  Hubs was madder at the office person than a wet hen and we stormed off(well Hubs stormed out and I hobbled behind him).  We come to find out later that our dr. had Covid.   I'll just say that this medical clinic office staff is a freaking disaster(the doctors there are independent from the clinic)so even though I like my dr. I may be forced to find a new healthcare provider.  I NEED a neurologist consult a year ago(took 6 months in PA to get an appt. with one there but we moved 2 months before it was to happen)so I am still waiting for testing and a diagnosis about what I have.  It could just be Essential Tremors(which are quite common)but since we have neurological issues on my paternal side(father had MS, my cousin(my father's sister's daughter)died from ALS 2 years ago in June I really am afraid of what they may uncover and I want to know yesterday what is going on. sigh
I'm also late for mammo, pap, sleep medicine appts. and need those done.

So on Wednesday Hubs gets a letter from said clinic to confirm his appointment for May XX-which HE NEVER MADE!  So I texted our NP to ask WTF is going on??  She was on her way back from her clinic day in another town and we talked a long time about this clinic.  Hubs got on the line and told her he is going to find a new heath care provider because he can't stand their incompetence anymore(even though we both love our NP)and he was very few issues so moving to a new dr. isn't a big deal for him.
Then my NP and I discussed moving ahead with my health care needs.  I'll be taking Hubs supposed May XX appointment(after double checking this coming week in person at the clinic that it's an actual appt.)   Getting health care down here has been just short of a nightmare!

After Hubs cooled off we headed up to CVS for Covid booster shots I had booked.  My last booster was September the week before we headed down here but it was right before they had Omicron protection and Omicron is the big threat now in Europe and as we will be in London and then doing excursions all over the UK on the cruise I thought it best to get a current booster especially with my suppressed immune system.

While sitting in the shot area in that CVS I saw something shoved behind their machine where you can check your blood pressure.  I used my cane to dig it out.......

It was 2 cans of chicken noodle soup.
WTF?

After we got our shots we went down to the place we get catfish dinners and ate an early dinner.  After we got back in the car to come home I got this text on my phone........"CVS vaccine: Due to unforseen circumstance we've had to cancel your appointments  We apologize and encourage you to reschedule(then a link to do such).  1.5 hours AFTER we got our shots. lol  Does anything work correctly anymore??

Last trip to Walmart we wheeled by this end cap display and I about had a full blown PTSD episode....


Folding hard plastic step stools.  Barely a month past my 3 month wound care ordeal. *shudder*

If you don't live somewhere there is a high water table then this will be something different that you've not seen........


a lump of mud in your yard.  Usually crayfish live in brooks and streams but down here when you have a yard that resembles a bayou(that's Louisiana speak for a swamp)like this.........


You find mudbugs(Louisiana speak for crayfish or crawfish)take up residence in your yard.  Heck there is a house we pass when leaving to get out to the major highway and for the last 4 months it's been basically a trailer sitting in a pond.  Now their yard where the pond use to be is filled with mudbug burrows/holes.  The guy who lives there cut his grass and now the towers are shorter but still there.

They even hold a major festival "Mudbug Madness" here and the minor league hockey team is called the Mudbugs.

We will miss the Festival this year however.  Nothing nastier than sitting by a trashcan filled with mudbug shells and leavings on a hot day. lol

I have been plagued by skin tags since a young age.  I paid to have a dermatalogist freeze them off once back in PA.  Then I found the "tie a thread around the base and choke off the blood supply method" and used that.

I have since getting here found that you can put tea tree oil on them and they fall off in a day or two.  I should have put this in my Fugal Friday post since I had a bottle(gotten for free at Rite-Aid!)so I used it.

We were behind this pick-up truck in late March.........


The name of the person(which I removed mostly)is the same name as my oldest son's father in-law.  I sent son this picture and said it made me think of his father in-law(it's funny as hell if you know him as he is so the opposite of this saying and this vehicle).

Dumbasses strike again!  I noticed as I posted on FF that the "change the  air filter" light in our fridge was on.  As part of tracking down the replacement filter I opened up both fridge and freeer compartments to find any parts number on it and found this.....

An accordion pleated charcoal impregnated filter.  After a bit more research these filters come in a paperboard/thin cardboard holder with a perforated opening you remove to expose the filter.  One is suppose to slide the holder with the FILTER STILL INSIDE into the compartment to change the air filter.  This house is only 5 years old and the original owners only lived here max of 2 yearrs before moving and renting it out for the last 3 years they owned it so I know it was changed at least once(and probably only once, probably when the owners lived here)because it would have come with the fridge/freezer in the holder.

There's a store here called Southeastern Salvage so we decided to check it out as mentioned  in a previous post for things like lights, ceiling fans, etc.  You know replacements for non-functioning or missing parts in this house.  They also carry an oddball assortment of "art".  Here are things I found instersting, weird and/or funny..........
Doesn't everyone want a giant purple gator picture in their living room??

 
Younger son had a fascination and love of all things VW when he was little.  I think the VW bus bar with the VW painting hanging over it would make a statement in his house!


I was amazed(or was it amused)to see this wall art of Virginia.  They also had 2 marble chacuterie boards there-one in the shape of Texas and the other in the shape of Virginia.  VA is nowhere near Lousisiana!lol


Of course I had to get a photo of this sign.......dark beer is the only beer worth drinking if you want a beer IMHO..........


This reminded me of the portrait of Bill Murray at "The Southern General"  restaurant on St. Johns Island, SC.  


   Here's my shot of that painting with Hubs trying to replicate the pose. lol

                                                       

Some cool deep sea diving helmets.........


Me playing the Wicked Witch of the West with the hourglass.............


Nah, I think Margaret Hamilton did it better..........but maybe if I had the green body paint?



An interesting Steam Punky looking wine cabinet.

And to end this too long nonsense post here is the trailer from a movie I'd like to see once it's released in June.....


I love me some Dame Maggie Smith. 8-)


Sluggy


7 comments:

  1. I love stores like the one you described above and will always check them out when I come upon them.

    I have to navigate the medical system, Pharmacies, and multiple different medical providers on a regular basis, and it is never an easy process. I have to jump through so many hoops. I hate it. I hope you get better experiences soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, it is hard to get competent staff in medical facilities. I once had to leave home at 11 am for an appointment over an hour away. I went in after negotiating Huntsville downtown traffic and hobbled in, signed in and sat down. Ten minutes later, they called me to the desk and told me my appointment had been cancelled. I asked why someone had not told me and they assured me they had called me in time for me to get the message. Yeah, at 11:30. I pointed out where I lived. They were apologetic and looked a bit ashamed. So, I had to drive home with a whole day wasted. After that, I called to make sure the doctor was in. It is worse in Birmingham. Once I find a doctor and facility with competent office staff, i stick like glue.
    Skintags are a new phenomenon for me. But, I had three or four on my neck once. I just grabbed them with thumbnail and index finger pad and pulled them off. They never came back. Of course, new ones come elsewhere.
    I love the salvage store finds. Since you love purple, did you get the gator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I used to drive through Shreveport a lot. I laughed out loud at the Shreveport alligator pic! I love stores like that with interesting finds. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you a million times over for the Tea Tree oil tip! About three weeks ago I endured having about 30 snipped off and it was so incredibly painful that I cancelled the appointment to have the rest done this week. I will be using the oil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! What an incompetent staff! I hope you can get it all sorted out soon. That VW bar is really cool. We have Southeastern Salvage here in Chattanooga, but it’s been a while since I went in there. Sounds like you all are settling in well and getting used to the lay of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a Southeastern Salvage store nearby in Mobile. They sell cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from what a friend said of living in Shreveport for over half his life.. the alligator sign is right on. Of course since he was raised in Ohio that might have been the issue

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.