Monday, April 24, 2023

What's on the Dining Table

The "What Price is It Really?" Edition.....



While in Walmart last week  I saw this rather large container holding bottles of seasonings/spices.  Notice on the tub it says "$1.00" but on the sign above it says "$1.12".  WTF?  I am seeing a lot of this sort of thing in stores lately.  Figuring out what something really costs can be annoying.

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned.......
1. Sunday--Leftovers
2. Monday--Burgers at Trivia
3. Tuesday--Chicken Teriyaki w/Veggies Stir-fry
4. Wednesday--Fish, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, a Green Veggie TBD
5. Thursday--Leftovers or FFY
6.  Friday--Leftovers 
7. Saturday--Veal Parmesan, Brussels Sprouts

And here's what actually happened........
1. Sunday--Leftovers
2. Monday--Burgers at Trivia
3. Tuesday--Fish, Mixed Veggies
4. Wednesday--Lasagna, Tossed Salad
5. Thursday--Leftover Chicken Marsala w/Mushrooms(We split the last piece), Squash, Mashed Potatoes
6.  Friday--Meatloaf, Broccoli
7. Saturday--Veal Parmesan, Brussels Sprouts

No Stir-fry and we didn't have the Sweet Potatoes with the Fish-both move to this week.  When I made meatballs last week I put together a meatloaf and put that into the freezer so just had to bake it off on Friday.  I cooked too many noodles for the lasagna(I just made a mini one w/4 servings)so put the leftover cooked noodles in the freezer(maybe I can do lasagna roll-ups and add chopped spinach and/or zucchini to the cheese filling for those).  I'll think about that another day. 8-)

What got put into the freezer last week....
*  1 package of Beef Liver
*  1 package of Cookie Dough
*  1 Pork Shoulder(for smoking this Summer)
*  1 pack of Breakfast Sausage Patties
*  Leftover Lasagna Noodles

What got taken out of the freezer and used...
*  Fish(cod)
*  box of Mixed Veggies
*  a Meatloaf
*  a bag of Broccoli
*  a Veal Parmesan
*  a bag of Brussels Sprouts

Last week we spent $257.94 on 2 shops at Walmart and 1 item(the pork shoulder)from Kroger.
This brings our food/toiletries/paper goods Total to $552.53 for April.  For us this is high but we cherry picked some deals, had to restock some staples and we bought some meat we weren't expecting to.  I am ok with it as I can put all my rebates I earned toward my grocery spending.

There are 6 shopping days left in April.

I've earned $135.56 on Ibotta in April.
I've earned $0 on Checkout51 in April.
I've earned $26.50 on Coupons dotcom in April.
I've earned $13.00 on Shopmium in April.
I've earned $17.50 on Kroger Cash Back in April.
I've earned 9,163 points from food shopping on Fetch.
I've earned 11,465 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in April.
I've earned 341 SB from food shopping on Swag Bucks in March.

That's $192.56 in rebates(not counting the Shop Kick/Swag Bucks/Fetch)on $557.94 of grocery spending so in reality it's $365.38 in food spending after the 5 rebate apps I count.

My savings percentage for the last week was 32.85% and the monthly savings total for April comes in at 47.12% so far. 

Leftovers going into this week...lots of  Chicken Marsala gravy and mushrooms but no Chicken, Mashed taters, some cheese sauce from making Mac and Cheese, Meatloaf and some Broccoli.  Hubs will most likely have the Marsala sauce with mushrooms over taters for a lunch and I'm making Broccoli Cheese soup with the Broccoli and Cheese sauce leftovers(we've also got milk to use up before it turns.)

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Lasagna, Spinach soufflé
2. Monday--Burgers at Trivia
3. Tuesday--Chicken Teriyaki w/Veggies Stir-fry
4. Wednesday--Leftover Meatloaf, Veggie TBD
5. Thursday--Leftovers or FFY
6.  Friday--Salmon, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, a Green Veggie TBD
7. Saturday--No Clue yet

What do I need to buy to fix everything on this menu?  Not a thing.  Unless there's a screaming good deal on something we use(or a rebate that makes it free and we can use it)I don't plan on grocery shopping this week.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any deals on food at your stores this week? 


Sluggy 

8 comments:

  1. I often cook up the whole package of lasagna noodles, use what I need, and freeze the rest to use next time.

    Our Kroger had BOGO baby back ribs. We smoked them then pressure cooked them. Very tender.

    Tried mahi mahi according to the recipe on the pkg. Didn't turn out well ... flavorless. Next time we'll make a ranchero sauce.

    Before the milk turns, I make yogurt or a white sauce (béchamel) for another meal.

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Kroger sales end Tues at midnight. Our local Kroger REMOVES the sale tags Tuesday morning. They say it's because they're understaffed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea yet what the deals may or may not be, and I really don't need anything, but plan on going to ThePig today for their sale on pork butts, celery, and chicken quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dried lima beans, greens, and rice…. With lots and lots of hot sauce! Made mulberry cobbler ( from my tree where I had frozen them last year) with ice cream substituted for milk… lol. It tasted good but looks real funny! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  5. And good old Walmart can just charge whatever they choose to when you get to the register. Grrrr.....Friends went to a taco place last week and there were no prices on the menu! I guess they are raising prices so fast they don't want to have to repint the menu.

    Our great deal was boxes of Bubba Burgers for 4.99 each. We bought the limit of 4 and are set for easy burgers on the grill all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of driving to The Pig for a mystery price, I purchased celery at Publix for $2.49/head, huge, fresh, beautiful head. We had to get a rain check on one sale item. Except for the pork butts, I saw nothing in the ad I needed. I did get a package of the pre-cooked bacon because cooking bacon in the oven is just too much for me. Besides, we do not need to eat bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made two types of pasta last night that should last until Thursday. Maybe soup and pasta salad on Friday - not sure yet. Watermelon will be on sale at Kroger for $3.99 starting tomorrow so I plan to pick one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is becoming the norm at our Walmart here, prices are. Ringing up higher than the shelf price. Ugh. It’s frustrating to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.