Monday, March 9, 2009

Walgreen's...Savings over 86%


So daughter needed me to take her to do some errands on Sat.-get a gift card for her friend's Sweet 16th birthday party & find a dress for the school play at the Salvation Army. I usually sew her costumes for the plays she's performing in, but this year I wanted to try to find something cheap at Sallie's first. I usually end up spending close to $100 if I have to make her costume. And we are already out $31 for tap shoes of all things! Daughter doesn't dance, by her own admission, and CAN NOT Tap! But she is in the chorus of this play and she has to at least pretend to tap in the dance numbers(try finding tap shoes in the right size USED at Sallie's-ha!), so I had to buy shoes that she will NEVER use again.

Back to the shopping....

So while we were out running her errands, we concluded my PRICE CHOPPER TRIPLER CAMPAIGN(see previous post) & we stopped into a new to me Walgreen's(WAGS). This WAGS was so different from my usual WAGS. It is NOT downtown, so there were hardly any shoppers in the store, the shelves were well stocked(except for a few of the month long Easy Saver Rebate items)and the clerks were actually smiling & seemed happy to see you.

Wow!

I pulled my battle plan, er....my notes out of my purse and began the hunt. Along the way, I found some clearance deals & had to send daughter out to the car to get more coupons from my box. Daughter was not pleased with me, until I found some insanely cheap Hair Coloring & allowed her to put it on my tab.
Oh, how quickly some free gum, shampoo & cheap hair dye can change the mood of a surly 16 yr. old female.

I went into the store with 3 RRs.

I came out with $197.94 of products & $21 RRs.
I spent $28.68 OOP including tax.
I used $169.26 in MQs, Instant Qs, Wags Qs, RRs & clearance prices.

Savings of $169.26($176.25 after MIR) or more than 86% (89% after MIR)!




Transaction #1

3 Slim Packs Wrigley's Gum $1.19, used 3 Free Item Qs=FREE
Colgate Max Toothpaste=$3.29 + got $3.50 in RRs
Excedrin Menstrual Gelcals $5.99, used $4/1WQ & $2IPQ=.01 overage
Vaseline Lotion $3.59, 25% off & used $1.25/1Q=$1.61+ got $2 in RRs
8 Dove Soaps $12.72, used WQ(-$4.80)=$7.92 + got $10 in RRs
Reach Toothbrush on sale $1.59, used $1/1Q=$.59

Total Value with tax=$33.48
Total Qs & Sales=$22.12

I spent $11.36 OOP including tax & Received $15.50 in new RRs

Transaction #2

6 Natural Instincts Hair Color (on sale for $2.39ea.)$14.39, used 6 $2/1 Q=$2.39
4 Clairol Hair Color(on sale for $2.99ea.)$11.96, used 4 $2/1 Q=$3.96
1 Clairol Hair Color(on sale for $1.29ea.)$1.29, used 1 $2/1 Q=.71 overage
Viactiv Chews(on clearance) $3.49, used WQ $3/1 & $2/1 Q=$1.51 overage
Excedrin Menstrual Gelcals $5.99, used $4/1WQ & $2 IPQ=.01 overage
2 Sambucol Tabs $25.98, used $10/1WQ(x2) & $4/1 IPQ=$1.98
2 Vitamin Shampoo BOGO=$6.99 & a MIR for $6.99

Total Value with tax=$138.41
Total Qs & Sales=$133.29
Total spent OOP=$5.12
Used $10 RR from the Dove Deal in the previous transaction so $5.50 RRs left
I'll send for the MIR on the Vitamin Shampoo so delayed OOP is -$1.49

The clerk let through some overage with coupons but she wouldn't let me use my 2nd $4IP Sambucol Q and kept telling me not to buy anything in this transaction that would print a RR. She IS a WAGS expert(she said!)and she said if you pay with a RR, no RRs will print on items in the transaction you pay for with a RR. I thought if I just didn't buy more Dove & pay with the Dove generated RRs I could buy other stuff, like the Colgate or Vaseline. I had a tube of Colgate in this transaction but she took it off and made me buy it separately, as well as 6 more Vaseline Lotions!lol
She was so sweet to me(and did let some overages through), so I just went along with her and bought the toothpaste & lotions separately. ;-)

Transations #3-9

Colgate Max Toothpaste=$3.29 + got $3.50RRs
3 Vaseline Lotion $3.59, 25% off & used $1.25/1Q$1.61 x3=$4.83+ got $6 in RRs
3 Vaseline Lotion $3.59, 25% off & used $1.50/1Q$1.44 x3=$4.32 + got $6 in RRs

Total Value=$26.05
Total Qs & Sales=$13.85
Total spent OOP=$12.20
+ got $15.50 in RRs

All totaled, I spent $28.68OOP + I'll get $6.99 back on a MIR for the shampoo, so $21.69OOP & $21RRs to spend next time.

If you are one of those who add the RRs onto the total spent, this trip was a -$.69...Money Maker!

That's just how we Divas Roll the Savings in PA.

This was a fairly frugal trip and totally COMPACT(for all my fellow compactors). All consumables(teeth,skin,hair,medicine) and a mix of compostable & plastic packaging. I'll have to check if the lotion/shampoo/hair color bottles can be recycled.

Be sure to check out how other Thrifty Divas are saving this week at the "Cents"ible Sawyer DRUGSTORE DIVAS Page.

Please leave me a comment if you get the chance. I appreciate all ya'll who read my ...IT'S BORING Blog. ;-))

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. Good Lord, Sluggy! I bow before you and your coupon-greatness. My brain scrambles when I even try to comprehend how you only paid 20-something for damn near $200 worth of stuff. Maybe I should show this to Mr. Big Ed and have him take a crack at it? He is more of a money guy.

    My Goodwill stores always have prom,bridesmaid and other dressy dresses on hand. I am sure your daughter will find the outfit she needs for not too much $$$.

    Good Job! Atta girl! And pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diva,Diva,Diva

    Great jog Sluggy,Glad to hear you had a cool cashier. You did awesome $20.00 for all that not bad. Thanks for the Viactiv i will check if my Wags has them on clearance. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving a comment Eneida!
    The Viactiv on clearance was the raspberry flavored chews. I'm not a fan of raspberry but my daughter will use them. Us girls can't get extra calcium soon enough, right? I think the Viactiv Qs were in either the last sunday's inserts or the sunday before that.
    Good luck hounding....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sluggy,that was a great day of shopping. You have inspired me to try harder with the coupons.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.