Friday, January 27, 2023

Frugal Friday....the January 27th Edition

 Welcome to Frugal Friday!  There are a few Frugal wins this past week......

*   We hit Walmart on Monday and I timed it just right as an employee was pricing clearance items that had been pushed to the back of the household shelves and hidden for months.  Aerosol cans of Febreeze(.99¢ for double packs), Airwick warmers with 1 refill($1.50 each), Airwick essential oil warmers with 1 refill($3.50)and Airwick double packs of refills(.75¢ each).


I used 2 different Airwick digital coupons totaling $7.25 on these 2 items plus I had an Ibotta rebate on the Essential Mist unit for $5.50, so I spent $10.22 on all the clearance air freshener items and I got back $12.75 in rebates/coupons, helping to put $2.53 toward paying for groceries. Nice.

*  I found money!


I found a penny in the backseat of Daughter's car on my birthday.


Picking up Rx at Walmart for Hubs on Sunday I found another penny.

After the Medical appointment I found a penny at the Walmart we picked up 5 things in.

Then we had lunch out at a Piccadilly Cafeteria and I found another some what grody penny in the dining area.

Total Found in last Week.... .04¢
Total Found this Year........15¢

*  Staying home and going through tubs and packing boxes here.  Still setting things up, deciding on what we need to purchase and putting things away.

We finish hauling in all the toiletries from the "Bubba" garage and going through things.  Most of what we are keeping to use is put away in the Master Bath and this is my nice neat stack of tubs to sell.  I feel so accomplished now!lol

*  We got a bill from the ER doc from Xmas eve's visit that said it was submitted to insurance and they paid nothing on it so we owed over $2,500.  Well not only did they not submit it to the correct insurance, once insurance pays it we don't owe a red cent, as I had hit my out of pocket mid 2022.  It took DAYS to figure out how they screwed this up but screw it up they did.   Imagine all the elder folks out there getting dunned for bills they actually don't owe because the medical billing department screwed something up, and these elder who either don't stay on top of financial stuff or don't have the capacity to understand all the complexities just pay it to make it go away.  I swear our medical system is so broken even died in the wool conservatives are going to start screaming for National Healthcare, it's that bad.

That's about all I've got for this past week.  

Any frugal wins in your neck of the woods?  Let's hear all about them!

Sluggy   

19 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a beautiful deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the medical bills. I'm still trying to balance out my bills from 2022, and it's a freaking mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have an EOB to match up to every single bill you have received. If you don't have an EOB, then your insurance was not billed. I walked through this for an elderly person 16months ago.

      Layout every bill on the floor. Then take every EOB and put it on top of the bill. When you get done, you'll see what was NOT billed.

      It's really the easiest way to do this.

      Delete
    2. I've requested a statement of payments from the medical group, and then I will compare with the EOB. It's really nuts.

      Delete
  3. I was just talking about your blog to my husband yesterday as we were running errands & I was diligently looking for money on the ground. I was joking because the economy is so bad everyone is picking up their dropped pennies etc. What a find you made on those household items. I shop a lot online & do pickup. Makes me think I should start going in some stores. I completed reading your blog from the very beginning. Love it. You truly inspire me to do better. Thanks for all you do I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri. 8-) Hubs found 6 pennies in the coin return of a self-checkout machine at Walmart the other day too. While pick-up or delivery is convenient you miss all the random clearance in the store.

      Delete
  4. The healthcare system is truly broken. It's only going to get worse. Government and corporations have turned it into a money scheme. Believe it or not, it isn't the doctors making the big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that I know. It's the Big Pharma and the politicians in their pocket, among others.

      Delete
  5. Ugh on the medical bill. I know you’ll keep after them just as you should. Good deal at Walmart being there at the right time for the Febreeze clearance markdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly keep after and up with all the medical billing Belinda. Nobody can afford to pay stuff they don't actually owe.

      Delete
  6. Kroger is offering more incentives for pickup orders. I had $10 off and a free bag of coffee on my order today. They were also able to fill all the sale stuff that is usually sold out when I shop in person.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang Kroger never sends me anything! I am jelly...

      Delete
    2. These offers are buried in the digital coupons on the app. There’s always been free random items (that usually suck) but the pickup order discounts appeared a few months ago.

      Jen G.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting back to reading my favorite blogs. Holy smokes. I've missed a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Dollar General and bought dog food and cat food. I then went to Winn Dixie and bought bananas for 51 cents lb, a carton of little grape tomatoes for an outrageous price but they are out is season, El Paso taco kit, a package of fake crab, an onion, a couple of baking potatoes, sunbeam bread bc my middle autistic son won’t eat anything else, and something else that is escaping me, probably butter. I then went to Publix and bought shrimp on sale reduced from $22.99 to $9.00, Powerade of buy one get one free, chicken breasts, ground beef, two packages of Swiss cheese, Publix brand of sliced Turkey breast for the kid to make sandwiches, hamburger buns from Publix’ deli, and something else I am forgetting. I have a huge container of organic spinach at home so I will be using that up this week. I made the kid cheeseburger with sautéed spinach on the side last night. He ate ice cream bar for dessert and a bunch of cashews I keep on hand from SAMS. I plan to make him baked lemon chicken and baked potatoes (he seldom eats chicken but I have managed to convince him to eat it if I have Big Bob Gibson’s white bbq sauce on hand, and butter for potatoes. I will probably make tacos also this week for him from the El Paso kit. I plan on my standard egg and tomato sandwich for my breakfast, peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch, and for supper to make that fake crab that is cheap, to make more pumpkin soup from the huge pumpkin I roasted, pumpkin seeds, sautéed spinach, and cheese toast. I can eat the same thing for up to three or four days. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great deal on the shrimp. We don't have Publix here nor an Aldi so I have to make do with Walmart, Kroger, Super 1 Foods and Shoppers Value. I get on jags were I'll just eat the sam thng for a few days too.

      Delete
  10. I was in target and the lady in front of me didn't wait for her change so like 60 cents was all mine

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.