Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Income & Spending 2020.....the August Report

 Now that we are living on an annuity and 401K$ withdrawals(some months), I am still going to keep track of our monthly spending and income, and hopefully we'll still be able to live BELOW our means and I'll have some leftover monies each month to tuck aside.


  I am trying to be as transparent as I can with how much is coming in and how much is going out.  8-)


On to the August report---

I had 2 goals for August.......
The 1st is to actually finish the month in the black and not the red.
The 2nd is to try to have a little cash leftover at the end of the previous month to tuck back into a slush fund.  This slush fun may be to apply toward unforeseen bills that are coming due in subsequent months, to spend on "extras/wants" during the year or to just sit there and grow until the end of 2020.

I can report that we finished up August in the red.
The amount we ended the month of August with?.....-$725.44

Income or Funds We Can Access

The "income" in August---

* Monthly annuity payment of $3,222.24(after tax withholding)
* RMSA(Healthcare account)reimbursement of $1,883.76
* Interest earned on non-retirement accounts of $507.66
Total "Income" for August.....$5613.66

Expenses in August---

* Healthcare Premium for August was $1,883.76(paid for with RMSA reimbursement)
* Irregular bills in August were $594.00
* Variable Expenses in August came to $3,861.34
Total Expenses....$6,339.10

$5613.66-$6339.10= -$725.44
Slush into August of $29,359.07 in that Fund, subtract the $725.44 shortfall brings the Slush to $28,633.63 going into September.
The Slush Fund on it's Page(tab at the top of the blog)shows a subtraction of $2241.06 for August.

Outgo
As for the variable expenses this August, here are the good and the bad side of things....

HERE are the GOOD THINGS

*  Phone charges and internet were the same as last month.
*  The electric bill was $12.96 lower than in July.
* The Amazon c/c bill was $99.93 lower than last month.
* The gas c/c bill was $52.45 lower than in July.
*  The WAM was the same amount taken as last month.

HERE are the BAD THINGS

*  The water bill was $7.14 higher than last month.
*  The Mastercard c/c bill was $2,275.34 higher than in July.  Half of that was the love seat we paid for(but still haven't gotten)the car registrations, the U-Haul charge to move Ex-CB out, I bought a lot of gift cards and my ancestry account charge technically hit this month on the c/c(though I put some WAM in last month to cover most of it).
*  We had an irregular bill due in August-the house insurance annual premium.
*  We had a kennel bill for boarding the dogs for 2 nights as no one was available here to dog sit while I was in Hershey having a medical procedure and Hubs had to take me there.

The Food Budget costs for August are in another post, which is located HERE.  Food costs are included in the credit card payment(mainly but sometimes our WAM cash too).

FINAL THOUGHTS on August---
One small irregular bill last month so that was good but I did spend what I consider a lot at the grocery stores again, AND the credit card bill was quite high as there were some unusual expenses on that in August.  To add insult to injury all the banks I have investments with lowered their interest rates mid-July so we've seen less interest income coming in.  And with the state of the world lately I'd don't see that changing/reversing for some time to come. ugh.
We had slightly more expenses than income last month so we drew from our Slush Fund to cover that overage.  That pot of cash gives me peace of mind and let's me sleep at night. ;-)

THOUGHTS going forward into September 2020----
We have two irregular bills this month, the smallish long term care policy quarterly premiums and the school taxes on the house(about half of the total property taxes due yearly here in PA).  There will be a small 401K withdrawal to cover the school taxes this month.  The other irregular bill we can work into our regular income stream for September.
The electric bill and water bill should both be lower in September and I am hoping I can stay out of the grocery store too. ;-)
I am hoping for a lower expense month this month compared to August.


So how was your August financially?
  
Did you spend less than the income you had in August?
Did you stay within your budget or not?
What did you do with any money leftover at the end of the month?
Did you pay off any debts or put extra toward your mortgage principle or into savings, in an emergency fund or a retirement account?
Or did you blow it on a want?

If you posted your financial progress on your own blog, leave a link in the comments so we can go check out your progress too and celebrate or commiserate with you!


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. Interesting month, but you bought a large consumer good that likely will be a long time purchase. Since the highs and lows of covid, I have not shared my end of month end. Overall, we are doing better than I had anticipated, but of course all could change any month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some months just end in the red, you use your slush money and move on. It happens to us all on occasion. We got a small "bonus" in August. TheHub buys season tickets for Alabama's football games every winter. Because of social distancing they are only allowing 20 percent of the stadium to be filled. We opted to have our money refunded, but will still get to keep our ticket priority and seats for the 21 season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Slush Fund just like you do. It is a set amount of money every year. My passive income is not sufficient due to the remaining mortgage for the apartment in Antalya. So, I use that fund and keep things in control. The money comes from my nest egg. My Net Worth went up in August due to selling mom's old apartment and sharing the amount in her bank account with my sister. Each time I look at my Xcel sheet, I remember that the big jump is due to mom's passing and can't help crying. Wish I had no money but her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were pretty good staying on budget. Hubs is "unfurloughed" as of yesterday, so we should be back to normal (whatever that is now) sticking money into the saving account within the next month.

    Sue L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still chipping away at the mortgage and we’re at about 3.6 years at the current rate. I’ve looked at refinancing but doesn’t seem worth the closing costs.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.