Friday, June 7, 2019

Frugal Friday....the June 7th Edition

Here's what frugalness happened around here at Chez Sluggy.........

*   My car was finally low on gas so I headed to Weis and used my second Bonus Cash Reward Prepaid Debit Card I had earned at Rite-Aid back in Feb.


The $20 on the card didn't quite fill my tank (just under 7 gallons)but it was close.



*  I hit the Bread Outlet this week.............



$4.98 for 3 large loaves and a bag of stuffing cubes.

*  I found money!



At the register tucked in the corner under the counter at Rite-Aid when I was spending the last of the Bonus Cash attached to one of my Wellness cards.

*  I went through the bags Daughter and Ex-College Boy threw into the Salvation Army pile before Hubs and I carted it all off and came up with these books.......


3 books I can add to my reading pile.  Not having to haul to the library and/or scour Ollie's for inexpensive books is always a good thing.

*  I had a $5 reward at Kohl's that was expiring last Friday.  I really didn't feel like going so I handed it to Hubs and said go buy yourself something cheap. lolz


He found himself a brown belt for when his current belt bites the dust.  After the $5 reward it cost him $4 and change for this $30 belt that was on clearance.

*  I got the Weis Friday Freebie last week.......

A single serve bottle of milk.

*  Among the improvements we are doing in the house are new window blinds........


Three rooms got them and Hubs hung them all.  They were free as we used a Lowe's gift card I sent for using some of our credit card points.

*  We got free sandwiches from McDonald's on Thursday...........

Well not exactly free but close!
McDonald's was doing a promotion for their International menu items.  Bring in any foreign currency and you can get 1 of the 4 items.
Hubs and I both took in a Canadian penny.

Hubs got the Canadian Tomato Mozarella Chicken sammie and I got the Spanish Grand McExtreme Bacon Burger sammie.  Mine had smoked Gouda cheese which was quite the upgrade from a regular Mickey D's burger bomb. lolz
My sammie is regularly $5.82 w/tax.  I'd never pay that kind of money for this.  It was far from worth almost $6.

Funny story here.......I had gone to this McDonald's at lunch time on Thursday to get an Unsweet Tea after filling up my gas tank.  I asked the gal working at the window if they were doing the promo w/the foreign currency and she said yes but not 2-5pm like every other store was doing but 5-7pm.
I asked her again to confirm it, she confirmed, I took my drink and went home.

So Hubs and I went up shortly after 5pm.  The gal at the counter inside took my order and I handed her my CDN penny.  The manager had to come over and key in something because technically I wasn't paying anything(it was free), she rolled her eyes and told the counter gal that this was the last one being as it was after 5pm.  The gal said the guy behind me also had foreign currency to pay with(Hubs)and the manager said ok, after him no more.

So I told her what the lunch time gal had told me(about this store doing it 5-7pm instead)and she rolled her eyes at me.  Evidently the lunch/afternoon folks were misleading people who asked and telling them the wrong/later time but nobody on the dinner/late shift was told the time was changed.

I didn't realize there was a big snafu over this because when I handed the cashier/counter gal my penny she had said to me that I was only the second person who had taken advantage of this promo of a free item.....which led me to believe that the store had just started taking foreign currency at 5pm.

Then the eye rolling and remarks of the manager clued me in. lolz

But y'all KNOW I would have raised hell if they had denied me after being told by an employee earlier that day that I was there at the correct time to do the offer!lolz
But no worries, we got our free burgers and no blood was split in the process.  ;-)

So that's it for me.


What frugal goodness happened to ya'll this past week?


Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to your guns on the McDonalds coin thing. I would have raised cain too after an employee telling me that. Don't forget free Taco Bell on June 18th. Details are on my blog post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the McD's promo but missed it cause of work. I don't think they advertised it well. Only saw it twice on my Twitter feed and people in the comments couldn't seem to wrap their brains around it. :/

    Finding money like crazy! 27 cents in target, penny in BP's parking lot, dime on my bathroom floor, lol. Combined Kohl's cash and coupons to get a much needed new bra for $7.xx. Not a whole lot in the frugal department going on. Some Ibotta offers here and there, free sample of self tanner wipes, daughter got free pastry from Panera for birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also did this promotion at two different places and it was like the employees knew nothing. I think very, very few people took advantage of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to take advantage of the McDonalds freebie, but Mom, keto, and my house projects had other plans for me. Such is life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was told that they knew nothing of the offer. I will be going back to get mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leaving for two week vacation to Portland and Hawaii on Sunday! My husband doesn’t really cook so minimal grocery shopping. Leaving him with 5 boxes of bran flakes, 5 cartons of soy milk and a buttload of Field Roast sausages. His work place provides free fruit and vegetables so he shouldn’t develop scurvy. ;)

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love when you get told different things from different employees. Glad you got the items for free. My son and I did too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.