Friday, November 3, 2017

Frugal Friday.....the November 3rd Edition

Here's some of the frugal stuff we did last week.......

* I had a hankering for bagels so on Tuesday I went to Panera armed with a free gift card and got a Baker's Dozen.  Only $6.99 for gourmet bagels on Tuesdays.

* We attending the local Church Auction that we always patronize......


They had oodles more "stuff" to bid on and not so much, as usual, in the gift card category unfortunately this year.
The only "stuff" things we bid on and won was a Halloween skeleton and a nice set of table flatware............


Everything else was a gift card.........


Everything from grocery store gift cards, to gas gift cards to restaurant gift cards.
We didn't spend as much as in years past but still using these, which went for below face value, will save when we buy gas, groceries and meals out..

*  While not something frugal I did, I'll call it a win--Chester the puppy lost his last two baby teeth this week.  At his initial doctor visit the vet noticed he still had 2 baby teeth that would need pulling if he didn't lose them on his own.  So we set out to give him lots of things to chew on to work those teeth out.


Chester working on his rawhide stick.


Yesterday morning, right before we took Chester for his distemper shot the last baby tooth came out....rah!


So no vet bills for tooth extractions. Yay Chester!

*  I got all this at Rite-Aid this week....

and got paid $13.37 in Plenti Points and cash rebates to take it all home.
Since it was Wellness Wednesday I got some samples to bring home for free as well.....



*  A few of the best grocery deals I got this past week......


The Shursave market had free 2 lb. bags of onions for free if you clipped the digital Q to your card and they had cartons of stock half price for .99¢ each.  Sometimes Dollar Tree has broth for $1 a carton but it's hit and miss at our stores here so I loaded up.
Fall/Winter is soup and stew season so stock up on broth for cheap when you can.

And Weis had a closeout of pouches of Geisha brand tuna, reg. .99¢ for 3/.99¢, so I bought 12.

That's about it worth noting at Chez Sluggy.
What frugal wins did you have this week?



Sluggy

17 comments:

  1. I remember that happy feeling when Buddy lost his last 2 teeth, we had the same conversation with the vet. We played every pull and chew game that week and then he went to eat supper and spit two teeth out (I saved them lol). Frugal this week? I bought 3 sweaters at the thrift store as only had two that still fit - spent $11 which is oodles cheaper than they would have been new, very nice quality ones that would have been at least $100. Ate at home every single day except coffee and donut with my Mom last Saturday which is our Mom-daughter date day. Other than that I've got nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 sweaters for $11 and just a coffee and donut ARE something!
      PS-I saved Chesters 2 teeth too. lolz

      Delete
  2. Nice flatware!
    I dont' think we EVER had teeth pulled on our dogs. Maybe it's the size of the dog that requires it. don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huas have teeth issues anyway so it's something you have to consider.

      I thought the bid price on the flatware was good and I am tired of using odd pieces from three different sets. lolz

      Delete
  3. He is so cute and some one holds his teether for him. Poor little abused dog. I can tell no one loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has a free bagel at Panera everyday for the entire month! She can use the carbs though, certainly not me. And we have four Panera nearby so its not inconvenient to grab it. Renewed library books online-no travel, no late fee. Baby sat a couple days and made some pocket money. High school boy bought playoff football tickets during lunch instead of at the gate so we saved $4. Little things add up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little things do add up. If you are having to spent might as well use frugal hacks to spend less.
      Luckily we only have 2 Paneras within driving distance and neither are that close...plus I don't eat bagels but sporadically.

      Delete
  5. I'm in no spend November, especially as concerns groceries as we're filled to the brim. I only go for needs, holiday (both T day and Xmas) ingredients as well as super deals. Stop & Shop (your Giant Eagle?) has their label, whole, frozen birds for 39/lb, limit 2, with purchase of additional $25, not including the birds. Guess what I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Giant Eagles here.....that's a middle and western PA chain. We have Giant which is a Martin's chain using a diff. name.
      I will take "CT MOM bought turkeys" for $400 Alex.....lolz

      Delete
  6. My biggest frugal thing this week is just staying out of places that require money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do that too but sometimes I have to get out of the house(and away from Hubs). lolz

      Delete
  7. I ran the auction for our girls' school program for a couple of years, and gift cards were always one of the most popular items as well as the best deal around. We would bundle some and let bidders know the total value of all the cards as well as where they came from, but not individual amounts - people went crazy over that one. I scored several good deals on gift cards over the years at our auctions - you did well!

    We had a nice, frugal week here at Casa Aloha. Other than paying for Brett's glasses, and our weekly trip to the farmers' market, we had a no-spend week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chester is a cutie! I've never heard of pulling baby teeth. You sure the vet wasn't pulling (ha!) your leg? I have literally heard my dogs' baby teeth fall out onto the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we've never had a puppy before we don't know if puppies generally loose their teeth on their own or not. I am sure the vet wouldn't be adverse to making $$ by yanking them for us but it wasn't needed thankfully. We did need to have some of our old rescue hua's teeth pulled when we got him, poor thing. He had been so neglected w/no oral hygiene given him.

      Delete
  9. It was a pricey week, but planned. We skipped additional drinks at a arts gala and didn't bid on silent auction stuff. We made a straight cash donation instead-don't need more clutter. Sort of hrifty....

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.