Thursday, July 15, 2010

Picking Time!

I actually got myself and #2 son up and out in the yard while it was still relatively cool this morning(relatively=82 degrees + 90% humidity).

So we picked collards......and picked......and picked......and picked.......you get the idea.
We made some space in the bed so that the winter squash has room now and the marigolds can see the light of day.  There are still shoots coming off & more growing out of the collard plants, as we just 'thinned the herd' and didn't pull up the plants.

Then we moved on to the leaf lettuce......this photo is about a week old so imagine even MORE lettuce.lol

And here is what we picked....
We don't use any pesticides here(except for the soapy/garlic water spray)so my collard leaves may not be pretty but they are organic and healthy, bug holes and all!lol

I'm going to attempt to keep track of what we get out of the garden this year so I'll be keeping a running tally on the blog here.

1st Collards harvest(a couple weeks ago)was 13oz.-it was only 8 leaves.
Today's Collards harvest was 9lb. 15.8oz!
The leaf lettuce today weighed in at 1lb. 1.6oz.

Garden Harvest Weight Total to date....11 lb. 14.4 oz.

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. wow - 9 pounds of collard greens! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I think I can harvest about 14 lbs of weeds in mine. The brocoli is probably due to get cut tho. I'll check on that. Do you know if you can get more than one bunch of brocoli per year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh--that's a lot of collards. I thought I didn't like collards but I had some last week and I really enjoyed them. I am so missing a garden this year!! I'll have to plant one next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat hole-y collard greens here, too. :)

    @ McVal: Sometimes if you cut just the main head of broccoli, some smaller ones will grow in around the remaining stalk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a ton! I love me some greens. I have chives. I just need a garden that I can manage. If Den gets involved it is completely out of control!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.