Thursday, July 29, 2010

Picking Time #2....Some Variety Finally!

Go figure......as soon as we decide to hit the road on a vacation, our garden starts producing!
Ack...
Why didn't we think to tell it that we were leaving it weeks ago!!lol

We harvested our 1st whopper of a tomato about a week ago.
Here it is....
Purty, huh?
Now look at it again, with the object beside it to show the scale.....
And no, it is NOT suppose to be a cherry tomato.lol
It's an Early Girl or some such nonsense.

This BEHEMOTH added another 2 ounces to our production total.

Moving on-
Here are some goodies we picked yesterday....

4 yellow summer squash
3 tomatoes(around the size of the last one/off of the same set of plants)
1 Italian roasting pepper(or so the nursery guy called it)
1 small light green pepper(the stem broke off the plant and it was either take it now or let it rot)

All together this crop and the behemoth were 3lb. 7oz.

Since I'm leaving shortly, I'll cook up the squash today and throw everything else into the freezer and deal with it when I get back.
Some of the cauliflower needs picking soon as well as some green beans & pickling cukes.  I've got someone to pick things while I am away so nothing will go to waste.
No zucchini here....waiting on the female blooms still.

Garden Harvest Weight Total to date....15 lb. 5.4 oz.

What's new in your garden?


Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. The only thing new this week was an eggplant. I'm not sure if we'll get more than just the one or not, but it's a beauty.

    We're still getting cucumbers, acorn squash and lots of tomatoes. A few green beans, still. Maybe 1 or 2 more zucchini before they're done. The spaghetti squash got both bacterial wilt and vine borers, but not before we got all the squash off it. They were on their way to being ripe and should (hopefully) finish off the vine. Our potatoes were a disappointment in terms of quantity, but they tasted good. Onions and garlic are all out and drying. All the greens are done. Now it's time for fall planting, but I'm not sure if we're going to do that or not.

    Did you mention where you're vacationing? How long will you be gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The squash is pretty! Now I want some. I don't get it very often, as Hubby doesn't love it. But I sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice produce! At least y'all have tomatoes--the ones in the stores here don't look that good!! I will have a garden next year, I will have a garden next year--maybe if I keep telling myself that now I'll actually have a garden next year!!
    Have a lovely vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnnieJ--What I wouldn't give for some eggplant about now. Our 4 plants have done nothing...sigh.
    Fall planting? Good gosh, I can't even imagine that yet!lol I've still got salad greens going.

    Frances--Well come on over...I'm serving the squash tonight! 8-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. More weeds for me! Envious of your garden tho! I'll come raid it while you're gone.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.