Friday, January 1, 2010

$60K Savings Challenge DECEMBER Totals & The Year End TOTAL

I have posted my DECEMBER End of Month 60K $AVING$ CHALLENGE Totals.
Check out the side bar to your right(near the bottom) for the specific numbers.

We had another Excellent month growing our Savings in December!

I have to report that we finished up December in the Black again.

The amount we ended the month of December with was..........$2,104.79!
And that amount was AFTER Christmas spending so I am pretty excited for the total.

Besides Hubby salary we had a hefty amount in Rebates, some rolled Coins and I sold a few things on eBay.  While not a large sum of money, it does add up and help to beef up the savings amount.

As for the expenses in December.....
The electric bill jumped $60 from November, as December was quite a bit colder overall here and the heat was on full time.
The water bill jumped $17 from last month. No explanation for that one.
All other regular bills...Cable, Internet, Phone, etc. are the same each month. 

The Food Budget costs for December are in another post, which is located HERE.  Food/Toiletries spending in December was low after rebate income was figured in and compared to the value of the items bought we saved just over 92%.

We had some out-of-the-ordinary expenses in December.  There was Christmas & daughter's birthday spending(gifts, travel, special food, etc.), though we didn't spend all of the $800 we budget for that so we are under on that expense.
But there were unexpected bills such as--the veterinary hospital($182.90), an electrician visit($109.55), an additional car insurance fee($209.51)since the daughter got her license this month, and 2 car repairs/maintenance bills($1072.94).  If not for these $1574.90 in unusual expenses, the amount to put into savings would have been 50% larger.

The credit card bill,which is paid off EVERY MONTH,($826.58) wasn't very high considering 1/3 of that Dec. bill was Christmas gifts bought early and now are paid for already.  We only have about $170.00 in Christmas & Birthday purchases that will be on the January credit card bill.

The way things turned out, those unusual expenses I was anticipating having to pay out on in December are going to be due in January instead.  These would include Oral Surgery for both Daughter and #2 Son and Orthodontic Work for #2 Son.  It will be a very expensive month for our family's teeth. 8-(


At the end of TWELVE MONTHS of this $AVING$ Challenge, and we have a Savings Grand Total of $23,865.36  for the Year!

While it is nowhere close to the $60 THOUSAND I shot for, I am pretty pleased with the Total we were able to save.  Believe me when I tell you that every penny of that is safely snuggled into an account earning interest.

So what exactly is $23,865.36?

$23,865.36 is paying CASH for a Nice Car!
Not that I would ever spend it that way.lol

$23,865.36 is a total kitchen remodel or a bathroom addition on your home for CASH!
Ok, this is a way I might consider spending it.

$23,865.36 is sending your kid to college for a Year with NO LOANS!
Oh yeah, that's a most excellent way to use that money.

$23,865.36 is paying off a car loan, a student loan, a second mortage or line of credit, or putting on the principle on your mortgage so you are one step closer to being DEBT FREE!

$23,865.36 is a ready made CASH Emergency Fund so that the next time Life hits you with a money emergency, Life can't kick your ass and make you put that emergency on a credit card!


So how was your December financially?  Leave a comment and share with us what you did with your money, both the good and not-so good.   Do you have any tricks or tips that help you to end your month before the money runs out?  Let us know!

And what are your plans for your money in 2010?  Do you have a Budget or some kind of Plan for your Money laid out IN WRITING for 2010?  It's time to start thinking about how to get a fresh start to Financial Freedom in the new year!  You need to let your money know what you expect it to do for you.  If you don't, your money will do what it wants and just fritter away.  Don't be left standing at the end of 2010 with nothing to show for all your hard work!
Make a plan!
Do it NOW!!


Sluggy

9 comments:

  1. You had a great year with the saving!! I am so envious and hope that in the years to come I can achieve something close to what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is give me hope . im start now . im proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, my friend, are a savings GENIUS! What is your goal for 2010?

    I was thinking realistically of doing a $10,000. savings challenge for myself. But maybe if I go for $20,000. there will be no time to sit on my laurels if I happen to get close?

    I will have to come up with some really clever ways to do this. something other than selling the children. or the dogs. or the cats. or the husband. LisaPie selling pies on the corner! Fried Pies! Cream Pies! Pumpkin Pies! Mincemeat Pies! Get your fresh baked pies! Heh, not so much. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I have not been "vocal" about our intention to save I have been following along. We have managed to add to our saving account $12,000, which isn't bad since it is 1/3 our retirement income. (which has taken a hit thanks to the GPBC) Our net worth has grown by an additional $26,500. ...Of course, some of that will be spent on our daughters' July 2011 wedding. Considering, the fact that all four of our kids have at least one 4-year degree, I would say we are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! I'm so grateful to have you setting a shining example for me! I consider myself very lucky to call you my friend!
    Now if you could just find a way to keep me out of trouble! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, CarolW, LisaPie, Precious, SonyaAnn, Anonymous--Thanks all for the kudos! You know some of you all have done great things too this past year with couponing, dealhunting and/or savings too! A great big mutal pat on the back for us all!!lol

    I'm still mulling over my 2010 goals. Check back soon as I'll be settling on some and will post in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little late with my comment, but I echo everyone else above - fantastic accomplishment!!!! And I love your list of what that money could represent. So nice to have options, isn't it? Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.