Sunday, January 17, 2010

Johnson & Johnson..If it talks like a Weasel and walks like a Weasel....MIR Fiasco!

Well there is consternation in the Couponing World this evening!

There is a Johnson & Johnson Mail-In Rebate that was advertised in last Sunday's coupon insert.  Buy $30 in Johnson & Johnson brand Lotions(at least 2 different brand names)and Get a $10 Rebate.
The MIR form was available in last Sunday's insert as well as on Coupons.com. 
$2/1 Qs were also available on both sources for each of the qualifying brand names(Aveeno, Lubriderm, Purpose, Clean & Clear, Ambi) so you could combine store sales with coupons to get a better deal.

Well it has come to our attention via various online sources(Southern Savers was the 1st one I saw it on), that even though you CAN do this Rebate with more than one receipt, Johnson & Johnson is claiming that your receipts MUST TOTAL $30 to be eligible for the Rebate.  Now if you bought the J&J products along with scads of other things and your receipts add up to $30 or more after coupons/sales, you are fine.  But if you bought the Rebate items alone and used coupons/sales and your receipt(s) don't total $30, you are outta luck!
Go see what is being said about this fiasco HERE and HERE.

Let me bring to Johnson & Johnson's attention that nowhere in the insert ad, coupons or on the rebate form did they specify that you had to spend $30 AFTER coupons!

If this is true, J&J will have a PR NIGHTMARE on their hands with all the pissed off Couponers/Rebaters who will have their rebates denied.
You think they have a BIG Problem NOW with all the Tylenol and associated brands RECALLS(McNeill owns the Johnson & Johnson brand too)?  These recalls are small potatoes compared to a massive flock of disgruntled Rebaters marching en masse(via snail mail, email and telephone)on their headquarters!lolol

At any rate, if they deny all these rebates they will have lost a heap of customers for life....all over the semantics of their interpretation of the wording on a $10 MIR.

Here goes the Domino Effect--
Bad drugs recalled....
Bad rebating policy.....
Bad consumer feelings on two fronts....
Bad sales figures.....
Bad stock report.....
Bad news for McNeill

Well, yours truly went and bought a heap of Johnson & Johnson brands lotions last week....enough to qualify(or so I THOUGHT!)for 2 MIRs--1 for me, 1 for my *ahem*BIL*ahem*.
Being the savvy frugalista I am, the combined total of all 4 of my receipts(2 for each MIR)was $11.47.
Not quite $30, is it?LOL

So I need to decide to...
A--just send them in as is and cross my fingers that Johnson & Johnson doesn't weasel out on their word.
B--return a bunch of stuff(and lose the coupons I used and only get back $11.47).
C--go buy a couple MORE qualifying items but do it on a grocery shopping receipt, so my total receipts add up to at least $30.
D--just keep the stuff.  If I do this and either don't send for the rebates or do send them and they are denied, my Rite-Aid Profit after rebates will suffer this month.

Luckily, I have a week or so to think on this and see what happens before I do anything....and that's just what I'm going to do....wait awhile.

So what would you do??

Sluggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.