Tuesday, September 6, 2022

You Know You Are A Southerner........



I found a newspaper clipping when going through my mom's recipe box that she had saved.

I'm sharing it here as it's sort of funny.


You Know You Are A Southerner.....

* Your wife's hairdo has ever been ruined by a ceiling fan.

* You think potted meat on a saltine is an hors d'oeuvre.

* The diploma in your den includes the words "Trucking Institute".

* Your mother keeps a spit cup on the ironing board.

* You've ever been too drunk to fish.

* You have a rag for a gas cap.

* You had a toothpick in your mouth when your wedding pictures were taken.

* A grit is something edible, not something you're made of.

* You know that spoon bread isn't eaten with a spoon.

* The sound of cicadas means that Summer has truly begun.

* You can't visit friends or family without taking something to them(preserves, tomatoes/zucchini from your garden, etc.)and you're not allowed to leave without being given something to take home.

* You have at least one houseplant that is a descendant of one given to you by a great-grandmother.  Extra points if it's a Christmas cactus.

* Soup is not soup without okra.

* Christmas isn't Christmas without someone saying, "Christmas gift!" and hearing the only appropriate response: "Han Itcheer."

* It must be Christmas morning if there's oyster stew on the breakfast table.

* You know that difference between a "chopped" or "pulled" barbecue sandwich.

* You get dressed up to go visit friends and neighbors at the grocery store.

* The family dog is named for a deceased loved one.

Have you got any pearls of Southern wisdom to add?


Sluggy





9 comments:

  1. Only a heathen would chop pork for a bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a special family recipe that you always take to the church potluck dinner. And you will be there, Lord willing and the crick don't rise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When someone mentions that so and so died, everyone hangs her head for just a moment, so of like in reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of potted meat until I moved here, lol. And the first time I heard someone call Vienna sausage, Vy-ennie sausage, I almost died. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya'll is one or two people. All ya'll is 3 or more.
    Well that just dills my pickles.
    And how could you forget...Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hush puppies are not puppies. Crazy as a Bessie Bug is well…. really bless your pea pickin heart… lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.