Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Shopping Friday to Monday--Weis, Big Lots & Rite-Aid


Here's a Weis(PMITA)Markets shopping trip I did last Friday but put on my October food spending.......


2 packs of steaks, 2 packs of kielbasa and 3 tubs of turkey lunch meat were all instant meat discount stickered.  The kielbasas was $2 a pack after sale/sticker, the lunch meat were $1.50 each after sale/sticker and all steaks were $5.52 total after $5 in stickers.

The spaghetti sauce was the Friday Freebie.

The Palmolive dish soap is part of a "Spend $10/Get $3 off Instantly" Deal.  It is a Colgate Brandd deal and Palmolive is owned by them.  The deal goes off regular shelf price and that is 2/$5 on these dish soaps but are on sale the 2/$3, which made it $3 for all 4 bottles.  Not bad, $1.33 for each, and these are the large dish soap bottles.

The large cans are greens and were on clearance for $1 each.  But they rang up regular price of $2.

So I had to take a pic of the tag and go get a refund at the CS desk.............


Weis has discontinued it's "if it rings up incorrectly, it's free" Policy. Boo!!!  I just got the $2 overcharged back.
I also bought a gallon of milk, 2 canned frozen OJ and a 50% bakery apple pie on this trip.

All together this trip cost me $29.13 and the savings rate was 49%.  But since CS gave me cash I am tallying it up as a $31.13 trip and putting the cash into my refund envie. ;-)

On Sunday I went to Big Lots as they were having their 4 times a year 20% off sale.
I really didn't need much as I had loaded up on tp at Weis last week but I did buy a few things........


I got a 3 lb. bottle of honey, a bottle of Bulgogi sauce, a box of RL biscuit mix(an impulse buy),2 boxes of hefty baggies(1 quart/1 gallon), 4 small cans of tomato paste, a jar of pickle relish and 2 bags of Knorr's rice mix.  The relish was on clearance for .48¢(also got another 20% off so .38¢ out the door for that)because it had chipotle pepper in it too.  Will be interesting to try.

All this plus a pack of napkins and a case of bottled water(not pictured)came to $26.78.  I saved $24.28 off of buying this stuff other places at reg. shelf price w/out the 20% off too.

Then on Monday I went to Rite-Aid. 
Kellogg's cereals were part of a "Spend $40/Get $20 BC" Deal, I had enough points to cash out of my Kellogg's account for 8  x $1/1 Qs, Savings Star had a $5 rebate on $25 worth of Kellogg's items and there were some Kellogg's Ibotta rebates too.  So I bought all this.......



All the cereals here and the Tide are part of a "Spend $40/Get $20 BC" Deal.
10 x Kellogg's cereals on sale 2/$5=$25.00
3 x Tide laundry detergent on sale $5.99=$17.97
SubTotal......$42.97

I used.....
8 x $1/1 Kellogg's IPQs(from my Kellogg's Rewards Account Pts.)=$8.00
2 x .50¢/1 Kellogg's assort. "Fall" cereals IPQ from their website=$1.00
2 x $2/1 Tide L2CQ(1 for pods/1 for liquid)=$4.00
1 x $2/1 Tide liquid ManQ=$2.00
Coupon Total......$15.00

$42.97-$15.00=$27.97 paid for with combo of all my BC and gift card.

I earned back $23 in new Bonus Cash($20 Spend $40/Get $20 Deal, $3 wys $12 on select Fall foods).


The $3 BC on fall foods was unexpected but it looks like the Special K pecan and cinnamon variety and the reg. Frosted Mini-Wheats were included in that offer.  Sweet!

I also got back $5 from SavingStar for buying $25 in Kellogg's cereals and amazingly I just looked and it'a ALREADY in my account there!


Unfortunately the only Kellogg's Ibotta rebates I had on cereal were for Frosted Flakes and those weren't part of the Rite-Aid sale. *whomp whomp*

In the end I paid $27.97+.72¢ tax on the Tide=$28.69 in BC/gift card and got back $28 in BC and SavingStar cash rebates.  Not a bad haul for .69¢ OOP.  ;-)

I am $57.91 into my October food spending.  Things should slow way down on the grocery spending for the rest of October unless Hubs goes off the deep end(he is not a price watcher)while I am away.

Now I am off to do my end of month Sept. figures and calculations.  Oh goody! lolz

Sluggy

9 comments:

  1. I might go check out that cereal and detergent offer. Hubs east a lot of cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
    I'm quite sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here!

    Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish our Weis store was like yours but they aren't all created equal (same logo, just different demographic catering I guess). :( Ours is on par or more expensive than Whole Foods. Grr!

    Good finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I've noticed that since my store remodeled prices have risen and the meat section has really increased in price. It's such now that I only buy meats there with instant discount stickers, some name brands that have Ibotta rebates or a special deal on Fantastic Friday sale. And I utilize other options when I can to take our food costs down(discount outlets, restaurant supply stores, etc.).

      Delete
    2. Fortunately, we have Aldi and Lidl in the area now so they're my primary shopping stores aside from the occasional loss leader, I was just hoping to add another store into the mix.

      We also took advantage of the recent Groupon promo and bought a discounted Costco membership. This will relieve some sting of gas prices (they're at least 10cents lower than the regular gas stations) plus a few select items we use regularly enough that the economy size makes sense despite us being a 2 human/1 dog household. Costco also offers a nice promo periodically for gift card purchase (similar to what Target puts out occasionally) - my parents don't need "stuff" anymore so I can stock up for their gifts throughout the year.

      I wonder if the focus change will backfire on Weis or if they're already feeling the sting which is why they're reversing the money back policy, etc. Drastic changes in business model at this point in the economy status is a bold move but I'm sure someone got paid a whole lot more than I do to tell them it will benefit their bottomline. They should ask Bilo how that worked out in SC....ahem. 😁

      Delete
  5. Time will tell if Weis survives. My son is in Fredericksburg VA and shops at Aldi, then they got a Lidl and now he shops there. He says they are even cheaper for what he buys. He's promised to take me to Lidl the next time I am down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Lidl has better weekly sales than Aldi but Aldi has more consistent stock. That may be our local store though as they go through the growing pains of figuring out what the buyers want. But it was particularly noticeable last time I had cereal on the list - pretty standard generic plain Cheerios that *poof* they just don't stock anymore. Not a crisis of course but has happened a few times with what I would think are "normal" items. Either way, I'm glad there's a new model of grocery stores in town.

      My parents are getting a Grocery Outlet (west coast) semi locally to them and I'm anxious to see how they compare. I read a blogger in Portland that has one and their prices are so low, it feels like the store nearly pays her to shop there!

      Delete
    2. I have a friend in VA who used to be a regular Aldi shopper. She's now a die hard Lidl fan. She told me that their prices can't be beaten.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.