Thursday, September 28, 2017

Making a New Asian Recipe

I got a great deal on broccoli late last week at the Shursave market so what to do with it?
I decided to try my hand at Beef and Broccoli for the first time.
Even though I am not a fan of her cooking usually I tried the recipe HERE.

                        Picture from the Food Network website.

The worst thing time wise with making this was all the prep work.  The beef has to be sliced thinly and a marinade/sauce put together and the veg has to be chopped.
Actually cooking time was minimal plus it only used one pan on the stove top so good here on Tuesday when the weather was unseasonably hot.

I served it over ramen noodles since we have quite a few packets of that here and I put the water on to boil for that when I started quick cooking the broccoli.
I didn't put the beef stock in my version but just water as the recipe called for so much cornstarch that the sauce tightened up too much.

I didn't have mine over noodles as it was hearty filling enough without and it was tasty.
Even though I used a low-sodium(sort of an oxymoron, isn't it?lol)soy sauce I still thought this was way too salty for me!   Hubs thought it was borderline salty(his tastes have changed to be more sensitive to sodium since I cook everything he eats)but Daughter thought it was fine as to the saltiness.

I plan to keep this in the meal rotation but next time I'll use/do one of 3 things instead of soy sauce........1-try coconut aminos(gives you that umami quality w/out any salt), 2-make a soy sauce substitute to use or 3-sub half the soy sauce(still using low-sodium one)for rice wine vinegar, water or more sherry.


Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, my daughter loves anything Asian inspired. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this for years we really love it - love reading your blog - does anyone know what happened to Frugality,financial independence and the Middle Class Blog - I know she recommended your blog site - but one day recently - she was gone - I wanted to finish out this year with her challenge can anyone help locate her. Thanks - Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen,
      American Dreamer took her blog down due to the Equifax hacking. She told me she'd have a new blog back up soon and will let me know the new address so I'll post about it when she's back.

      Delete
  3. i use coconut aminos all the time and it is a pretty good substitute. Occasionally I will still add a tad of soy sauce, but it is mainly for coloring

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried beef and broccoli from scratch once-it was just ok, and so I was disappointed and have never tried again. Maybe I'll follow this is I have a deal on both for a little variety.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.