Friday, September 22, 2017

Frugal Friday......the September 22nd Edition

*  Eldest son experienced a change in life status recently so we went down to Va to assist him in finding bedroom furniture for his apartment.  Eldest is a not very well paid new teacher and he just bought a car(after being car-less for an entire year)so money is real tight for him right now.  There would be no perusing expensive furniture stores for a matching bedroom suite.

While he worked on Friday we visited many, many thrift stores scouting out the furniture prospects.
At the Goodwill no furniture we could use but I did find College Boy a Xmas present.........hehehe


We found 3 candidates for a bedroom night stand in our travels.  We took some photos and after viewing them later, Eldest picked this one to go and purchase on Saturday.......


It has some style, was "real wood" and sturdy and the best part it was only $8.
Sold!

After about 6 thrift stores and no luck we saw this dresser sitting out in front of a junk store across the street from a thrift store we checked out........


Again, real wood and fairly sturdy and large enough to hold his stuff.  Knowing it was a deal at $55 I went ahead and paid for it and we went back on Saturday to arrange for delivery.

After checking out some mattress stores Eldest decided on a temper-pedic type foam mattress and a platform type bed frame/headboard.
The "discount" mattress store wanted upwards of $3500 for a queen sized 14" foam mattress and frame/platform.
hahahaha
No wonder people have to make payments and buy a bed on time at those prices!

So it was either buy a cheapy regular mattress and box spring at a store, or get a good mattress for cheap online.
He opted for the good mattress online where his dad and I got ours along with a platform bed frame/headboard.
He's all good in the bedroom department(mattress/frame/headboard/dresser/night stand)for a grand total of $770.

*  Remember all these that I have been collecting(mostly at Rite-Aid for free)all year........


This past week I turned it into this..........


$80 in cold hard cash.

*  While in Va we got Domino's for dinner on Friday using an old gift card so no new money OOP.

A Stormtrooper was riding shotgun for that delivery driver.
"Keep calm and join the dark side" as the back window suggested.

*  Almost free razors at Rite-Aid, free barbecue sauce at the Shursave market, and a few items bought while on the road to VA and back as shared already are my grocery finds.

*  In Goodwill I also scored a stocking stuffer for one of the kids and it was that week's 50% colored tag so half price off a thrift store price.  Rah!
In Walmart in WV I scored some clearance clothing too.......

Sleep tank tops for Daughter for $1 each.
I also found Daughter something I had already bought at the local Walmart for $4 cheaper so I bought it and will return the one that was more $. ;-)


A Summer nightie for me for $7.


And a Wonder Woman sleep shirt for me for $3.
Because I am "Fierce" when it comes to saving $. lolz

What have you done lately that is frugal?

Sluggy

14 comments:

  1. As always, very inspiring! How did you turn the diapers into $? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listed them on a local Facebook yard sale site and got them sold in two days. I'm trying to sell some toiletries too right now....cross your fingers! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Good deals on the bedroom furniture! Way to go mom! Do tell what mattress and where ordered from? I will be needing to purchase a queen sized mattress next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you look like a mariachi singing lady :) Sorry about your sons change in life status, it sucks but it happens. Well done on your furniture finds. That dresser was a total steal at $55. You could turn selling your rite aid deals into cash as a money making hobby - good for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah Montana! What young man wouldn't want that beauty for Christmas? I bought my bedroom furniture from a used furniture store in my neighborhood. It was inexpensive and is the nicest bedroom furniture I've ever had.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are looking for a new bed also. Could you share where you and hubby purchased your bed online?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that eldest went thru some change of life status issues. You found some nice, solid pieces of furniture at very good prices. Are there FB tag sale sites in his area? great way to furnish a home on a budget. Hope that things improve. Nice of you and DH to go down there and help him get re-situated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your son's change in status. It's tough to see our kids go through difficult times.

    But how awesome is it to see your hard work pay off? Because of your thrifty ways, not only do you have the funds to help your kids, but your hubs is retired and able to travel on short notice. Nice job, Mr & Mrs Sluggy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a coir liner to use in my hanging basket next year for 50 cents at WM, along with similarly priced items for next year. I was especially pleased to know I would not have to pay $3.50 next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing frugal except a few frugal meals. September is kicking my financial fanny so it is a god thing it is a three paycheck month for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the angles on that table. At first, I thought it was just the picture. It will fit between two chairs that are angled. When you are ready to get rid of that, I want to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey good buys. Happy you did not buy a used mattress. That is just kind of creepy, but you do what you can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laughing when I saw the Wonder Woman sleep shirt. I though - her super power is saving $.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.