Monday, September 12, 2016

This Week on the Dining Table

It's the "I'm Too Old to Do This Shit Alone Anymore" Edition.......




Well the Pepper Relish is done. 
 I made a double batch this year so there are 18 pints and 5 quarts in the garage(plus about a 12 oz. jar of extra in the fridge).
I used 6 of my purple canning jars, which make the relish look really dark and don't do anything to enhance the jar colors. lolz

And I am wiped out.  Relish making and canning kicked my ass this year and I spent most of Sunday recovering.  I am just too old to do all this by myself anymore.  Relish won't happen again unless I have at least 1 other person making it along with me in the future.  Daughter was too busy with work and school to help.(Hubs did wash my jars for me this year so that helped but it wasn't enough to keep me from overdoing.)


Moving on......

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--

1. Sunday--Leftovers
2. Monday--Steak, Veggie Ka-bobs, Baked Potatoes
3. Tuesday--Manicotti, Salad, Garlic Bread
4. Wednesday--Chicken Fajitas
5. Thursday--Leftover Meatloaf, Brussel Sprouts, Noodles
6. Friday--Apricot Glazed Pork Chops, Mixed Veggies, Corn Casserole, Applesauce
7. Saturday--Crab Cakes, Fries, Cole Slaw, Broccoli


And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Leftovers
2. Monday--Steak, Veggie Ka-bobs, Baked Potatoes
3. Tuesday--Manicotti, Salad, Garlic Bread
4. Wednesday--Chicken Fajitas
5. Thursday--Apricot Glazed Pork Chops, Sugar Snap Peas, Corn Casserole 
6. Friday--Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs, Au Gratin Potatoes, CA Mix Veggies
7. Saturday--Leftovers

7 meals cooked at home, 2 of them nights of leftovers and 0 night of Take-Out.

As for the grocery spending.....12 trips to various grocery stores, bread outlet, Panera, produce market, Dollar Tree and farm stands bringing my weekly spending to $255.90 and my September food spending total to $360.80 with 18 days to go in the month.
Yikes!

I did a lot of stocking up on staples plus canning supplies and a splurge trip to Panera on Tuesday for discounted bagels.
With only 39.20 left in my $400 food budget for September I doubt I'll be able to stay under that amount.  I'll increase the budget as I need to but will keep an eye on the spending for the rest of the month.

Leftovers going into this week........manicotti, fajita fixings, 1 chicken thigh, zuke casserole, and 1 entire container of au gratin potatoes(I made double for "planned overs").

Here is this week's "food plan".

1. Sunday--Spaghetti w/Meatballs & Sausage, Salad or Zucchini Casserole Leftovers
2. Monday--Fajitas(using up Leftovers)
3. Tuesday--Mushroom and Onion Pork Roast with Carrots, Au Gratin Potatoes(leftover)
4. Wednesday--Crab Cakes, Fries, Cole Slaw, Broccoli
5. Thursday--Tacos
6. Friday--Homemade Pizza or Leftovers
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 7 new meals cooked and 0 nights of Take-Out and 2 nights of Leftovers.

The leftover manicotti, chicken thigh and zuke casserole will be eaten for lunches, the taters and fajita filling for dinners.

What we need to buy for this menu......Pepperoni if we have pizza this week.  We might need to eat more leftovers instead on Friday.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. I have pepperoni if you need it. Just come get it. ;p
    I may actually make it in under budget this week. But that may be because Den was gone. And I so cheated on cooking!!!! Olive Garden has the buy-one get-one free deal going on plus $5 off $30 if you order on-line. Plus I had a gift card!!!! There is enough food for us for 3-4 days. But I did go over because I NEEDED the tiramisu and Den NEEDED more breadsticks.Im so happy I don't have to cook. Oh and we needed extra soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on canning. My annual Labor Day canning of tomatoes was done in 2 days. Much easier on me. I was recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthtitis on top of my osteoarthritis, and I am adjusting. And yes, I am too old/ill to do this all in one day. Over 2 days was much more do-able for me. Glad that my tomatoes are done for the year, we'll enjoy them come Fall/Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided I am not canning anymore. Well, at least until I decide to do it again which could possibly be never. it's hard, tedious and mostly messy work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday we made a very large chicken pie - enough for two days - it is now in the freezer - one day this week when we dont want to cook - in the oven it will go - with mashed potatoes. The next night it will go over egg noodles. I actually feel like having it tonight - there is a slightly cool breeze in the air~

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother and then my elderly friend of 84 started doing smaller batches. At least you have help with the jar washing. Washing jars is exactly why I did not can something two weeks ago.

    There are so many people there at your house that maybe you could enlist more than one and make the work even lighter. They could rotate in and out as they had the time...just an idea. Maybe you could sit and dictate what to do. Hey, I could can like that.

    I only have chicken for one meal, and no chicken to cook and no ambition to do so. Until I go to the dr on Wednesday, I may eat chocolate muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never canned-but my mother did. Anytime you want to come to Youngstown-actually boardman you are welcome and I will help you can-but we may have to go to my dad's (only 5 mit. away) cause for some resone my stove won't five up.
    Thank you so much for all the goodies!!!!! I shared them with my 20 yr old college daughter! She says Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never canned! Mom and Granny did when I was a child but I can't remember anyone doing it after I was 10 or so. When I read your post I was thinking about the little red hen story- no one wanted to help but they sure were ready to eat the finished product haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pepper relish looks terrific. Will be so nice to have when you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.