Friday, October 1, 2010

Is it Just Me? and other Randomness

**Is it just me or is it strange that at Rite-Aid you can use your WELLNESS CARD to get a discount on Junk Food?  Every week in the sales flyer there is some candy or snack food on special sale when you use your Wellness Card.
Isn't that kind of like presenting a card to show your membership as a Quaker to buy bullets?

**Is it just me or is October 1st the start of the official Fall Season for you too?  And right on cue, the weather here went from rainy and warmish yesterday to windy and cool today....or as Hubs would call it, COLD!  I swear the man can't take a stiff breeze and temperatures in the 60's without breaking out a sweater or two.  I truly believe Hubs was a lizard in a previous life wanting nothing more than to sun himself on a hot rock.lol

**Is it just me or can you really believe that the year is 3 months away from being over??!  Here comes the triad of American Holidays....Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas(or Chanukah).  Of course, if you've been in one of the Temples devoted to American business(=a store) in the past month or 2, you already know that the Holidays are quickly pressing down on us.  I am so not ready for all the hype and the pressure to be too busy with activities and stuff.  Stop this merry-go-round and LET ME OFF!  Be careful this Holiday Season and don't take a nosedive off of your Financial Future into that deep hole called Debt!  Limit your Spending, Budget for the Holidays and STICK TO IT!!  You'll be so glad you did in April when you aren't getting Credit Card bills still from stuff you bought and the kids broke in December.

**Is it just me or is applying to FIVE colleges overkill?  I've always been told to apply to THREE--the school you want most to attend, a "stretch" school(one you probably wouldn't EVER get into with your grades/scores &/or that accepts a low percentage of freshmen each year), and a "safety" school(one with lower standards for grades/scores/etc. than you possess, that would consider you a great catch even on your worst day).
Unbeknownst to me, Hubs has allowed Daughter to submit applications to FIVE schools.  In retrospect, #1 son only wanted to apply to 2 schools...both of them on par with the other, nothing "stretchy" and we had to insist that he apply to a third.  (He got into all 3 by the way.)
This is not a case of "Daughter has to spread a wide net in hopes that SOMEBODY will want her".  The girl is gifted in many ways(not all of them evil either!lol), scored 1890 on her SATs, ranks around 24 in her class of 250 something, has a 4.2 cumulative average, was in the Carneige Mellon Talented Youth Program for PA in grade school(she outscored 8th graders in the state in math when she was in the 4th grade), etc. etc. etc.
I applied to 3 schools, though my criteria for applying was somewhat bizarre....but then again, my home life during my teen years were somewhat bizarre compared to most people's lives.lol

**Is it just me, or do teenagers do things out of left field sometimes?  This same child from above, also in the last 3 months, has decided she may not go to college directly.  Like her brother before her, she's been told she's receiving XX amount of dollars for school from us, so depending on where she decides to attend/where she gets in, she may need student loans if she doesn't save any money toward her own schooling while in high school.
This seems to be putting a crimp into her grand plans for life as she envisions herself going to medical school eventually and becoming a doctor.  That's great and all but the cost of getting a medical degree is way more than we can afford without liquidating our retirement funds and Daughter is somewhat of a miser-in-training and can't see herself going into that HUGE hole of debt for medical school.  Hey, let someone else take the financial hit is cool, but not her.

That is when she came up with the bright idea to join the military because they'll send her to college for free.  Envisioning my Daughter in the military in my head sounds much like replays of Judy Benjamin in that old classic movie, PRIVATE BENJAMIN.
"See, I did join the army, but I joined a *different* army. I joined the one with the condos and the private rooms.
To be truthful with you, I can't sleep in a room with 20 strangers.
And I mean look at this place.
The army couldn't afford drapes? I'll be up at the crack of dawn here!"

So between what the recruiters are telling her and what her father & I have discovered, she is trying to wrap her head around the pseudo-reality of what enlisting & going to boot camp will REALLY be like.  She is not a morning person and she has a problem with living with 4 other people....oh, to be a fly in the barracks when/if she does join the service!

She had decided on the Air Force IF she enlists since they have a base somewhere with an actual college on it.....and she 'assumes' that is where she'll be stationed.haha  She took the aptitude test last month that they use to see what jobs you qualify for(Daughter wants to be in the medical field).  She scored 93 on a scale of 99 and will find out some time this month what opportunities await her in the military with that number.

**Is it just me or do you think Daughter has some interesting ideas about how the whole higher education crazy train runs?  Daughter "thinks" she's going to get all the options first--her career track offerings from the military and her acceptance letters from the schools WITH how much in scholarships they will give her(even though I've told her that that actual financial award letters come much later AFTER she accepts and her parents have divulged all their financial matters & they don't offer money to those who don't accept first so she'd have to accept admission to all who offer it to get all the aid letters!lol)--BEFORE she decides whom she will grace with her presence.
Yah......not only does the child has NO ego problem here, but she has only a teeny tiny clue.  It's a good thing we love her or someone around here would have met an early grave years ago....;-)

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Olease tell your daughter that it'll be at least 2 years into her enlistment before she can even think of school. Most people just get sucked into the whole free college. I know as does my husband. He goes to school and provides for our family it's very hard and the Air Force part comes before school. It's a really big decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Honey... It's not just you..
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading yesterday that 10 colleges was the "correct" number to apply. Don't ask me why. I never thought I would be talking about numbers of colleges!

    My friend's daughter joined the AF. Six months into her enlistment, just after boot camp, she was invited to show up to dinner with some bigwig...general or something. Shortly after that I was talking to someone who wanted to interview me as part of the process of getting a security clearance. She was in school within a year of enlisting. I asked her what the security clearance was about. She said she could tell me but then would have to kill me. I became very uncurious. A year later she got a top security clearance or something like that. She has been in school for the last five years.

    My niece could not pump gas before work because her hair would get messed up by a breeze--big hair years. She was a lazy soul, sleeping all day, a slob with and attitude. She joined the AF. My sister was shocked that she was not complaining and trying to get out.

    I think she could sleep with dozens of people in the room after she marched with a 70 lb pack and crawled on her belly with live ammunition being fired over her head. Well, they told them it was live.

    My favorite line from Sergeant Benjamin was when she said, "I want to wear my sandals." That would be me. If I did not have to wear boots, I might have handled it when I was younger. AF is a great place for someone who wants to be a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh! I just wrote this long comment and it errored out. Why do I never learn to copy something before I hit "post" or "submit"?!

    I totally agree - the holidays come (and go) too fast, college reality is waaaay different than kids think, and the Wellness Card has nothing to do with wellness at all. Reader's Digest version of first comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not just you. And I totally understand. We felt the same way when our son decided to join the Army. It has been the best think that ever happened to him. He was a lazy, unmotivated teenager and now he works his butt off and loves it.

    Oh, and your daughter might get offers of money from schools before she applies. Samantha received a letter sometime in her Senior year, probably early Spring, offering her close to a full right to a school she was not considering. She almost threw that letter away, but I told her we would hold on "just in case". When she didn't get offered the aid from her school of choice, she took the one she almost threw away.

    So, with your daughter's stats, you might start getting something trying to lure her in.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.