Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Snow Go Away....

Our little corner of PA was on the edge of the storm that departed last Friday, so we only received about 2" of the white stuff last week.  Drive half an hour south and they got upwards of 10".  My Philly Sunday paper headline said the city got 28.5" from that storm.
The storm on Wednesday tracked a bit more to the north so we got 12" this time.
This photo was taken about halfway through the storm....


Today was brilliantly sunny and a good 4 inches or so has melted already. 

I'm not complaining since we've lived where the winters were much worse. 
We lived in the northern Poconos for 14 years before moving here.  Our average snow accumulation there was 100" or more each yr.  Easter egg hunts were much more challenging for the kids as they usually had 2-4" of snow covering the eggs.  Thank goodness for brightly colored plastic eggs.lol



This is a photo of our house right after the  the Blizzard of  '93.  That storm dumped 3 feet of snow on us.  That was 3 weeks after a Nor'Easter blew through in Dec. of '92....which lasted 4 days & snowed steadily straight from Dec. 9th to Dec. 12th. 
On the evening of the 12th, just as the snow was ending I went into labor.
The interstate was closed, hubby had been bedridden for the preceeding 4 days with the flu and the hospital was an hour drive away(an hour drive if the roads were clear).

After living there, if it's less than 6 inches, we just drive right through it.  Plowing/shoveling for less accumulation is for sissies.

Good times.....

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. The snow is beautiful! I think DC took our tile of: Snow capital of the World away from us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year, I hate snow a little more - LOL! And I grew up in Mich... I should love the stuff! Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get you! Here on the IL/WI border the schools never close. Very few people understand what its like just to keep going in -20 and a foot of snow. We are a tough breed, aren't we?
    It was so bad here 2 years ago that the snow plows couldn't get through and were getting stuck!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.