Monday, February 1, 2010

Meal Plan Monday.....February 1st Edition....Never Going to See the Back of the Freezer Again!




Last Week's Menu Postmortem...
The Stuffed Shells, Alfredo & Birthday Dinner Out didn't happen.
Moving to this week.

About this cleaning out the freezer deal...after this past weekend, I am about ready to give it up.  I can't seem to go more than 3 weeks without finding something worth stocking up on and this past weekend was my downfall.  At this rate--the 3 week not stocking with 1 week stocking--I'll never find the back wall in the freezer.  I spent 4 days digging out older food to serve and filled all the emptied out space back up in 1 day of grocery shopping.  argh

Here's what I will be serving our family of 4 this Week.....a couple of my favorite recipes reappearing this week.  Most of the meals will be soft-ish foods since #2 son is still recovering from dental surgery last Friday.  He's slowly progressing from liquids/semi-liquids to soft foods so I don't want to have to cook two different meals each night.

MONDAY--Stuffed Shells(stockpile/freezer), Salad(fridge)
TUESDAY--Quesadillas-chicken or cheese, Corn
WEDNESDAY--Easy Chicken Alfredo with Vegetables(freezer/stockpile)
THURSDAY--Quiche Lorraine, Salad
FRIDAY--Beef Pie
SATURDAY--Leftovers
SUNDAY--Birthday Meal out....maybe this week?lol
SNACKS/DESSERTS--Oranges(stockpile), Brownies(stockpile), Birthday Cake(stockpile)

At this point, I can't tell you how much I spent last week on Food and Toiletries.  I do know that I BLEW UP the Food Budget  with style and panache this past weekend.
I was at $277.20 for Jan.(before rebates)on the 25th.
Then Friday I went to Walgreen's to get daughter some OTC meds she needed, before #2 son's appointment for his dental surgery.  I spent almost $21 but I now have a $10RR.
And then on Saturday I hit CVS, Rite-Aid(multiple ones)and Weis(to use up Jan. expiring Qs), where they had 3lb. contains or Ground Beef that was $4.99 marked down to $2.99--$1 a lb for meat!
THEN.....Price Chopper offered TWO Catalina Deals for this week, starting on Sunday so I had to go spend more money there...and I'll be making many MANY trips back to PC over the course of this week, not only is Jan. shot, Feb. may be wounded too after this week.lolol
And hubby FORCED ME to go with him to Walmart(and I happened to take some Jan. expiring Qs with me to see if I could pick up anything cheap or free).  And it was over to Big Lots to use the 20% off anything in the store Q on all those lovely bottles of 100% juice.  And we drove right by the Bread Outlet so of course, I HAD to go in and check if they had potato bread for #2 son(which they did have...yah!) so 3 loaves and 3 boxes of doughnuts(for hubby)and $6 later, my food budget for January was blown to hell.

FOOD WASTE REPORT
ARGH....my lovely lovely Boston Baked Beans.  Since everyone was home when I made them(plus an extra relative), I made a TON!  Not enough people were around or inclined to eat them leftover so even after feeding a fair share to the doggies over the weeks, I ended up having to compost quite a bit that was still left.
I consider this a big fail on the food waste front.  And we were doing so well too until this point.....

Check out ORGANIZING JUNKIE to see what other Home Cooks are serving this week.

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Still sounds like you're doing pretty good! I'm amazed if my bread outlet has bread cheaper than the stores do - I grabbed a loaf for 10 cents les in the grocery store (Caputos) than I've seen it at the bread store. Sounds like you scored some amazing deals.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.