Tuesday, November 7, 2017

4 Months Into Retirement



So we've passed the 4 month mark with Hubs retirement and things are humming along.

I am no longer freaking out by all the "extra" bills we are paying....because they aren't extra really, they were just paid before I got the paycheck before retirement.  Silly me.

We were slated to start tapping the 401K account in October, as Hubs turned 59.5 this month, to add to our annuity income.

But we've found we haven't had to last month.  Even with forgetting about the $450 Long Term Care premium which was due in October, taking out $650 of income to create the Sinking Fund for irregular bill payment and spending $270 at a local church auction.  We had enough of a cushion after paying all the bills to have a $2.37 leftover from our annuity income this month.

Any month we don't have to access the 401K funds is a bonus, as that means it will last just that little bit longer than we have planned. 8-)))

Hubs had a "wtf?!" moment in September(his/our first full month retired and home from traveling).  We got the WAM(aka Walking Around Money)the first of September.  Two weeks later Hubs tells me he's going to the bank to get $100.  I asked him why and he said he needed more WAM.  Even though we sat down in June and wrote down our monthly budget in which we agreed on $200 per month of WAM w/each of us getting $100, he was under the assumption that he got $200 to himself.  He had run through his WAM halfway through the month.  When I asked what he had spent it on he had no clue, other than coffees.  Later we figured out that he had bought take-out with some of it, instead of putting that on the c/c so I gave him part of my WAM for the month, which I had not even spent a dime of it yet.
And now he is more cognizant of what he spends his WAM on......personal small expenses--good, picking up groceries, buying gas or take-out--bad. lolz

Hubs is taking it easy still and not wanting to "engage" with friends/work friends, join any groups or "do" volunteer work.  He may not ever do any of these things.  We are both pretty much homebodies.  We don't "need" to socialize much and are perfectly happy to stay home and read, putter online and play chess(Hubs not me).....at least for now.  Just staying on top of house stuff, financial stuff and the day-to-day chores keep us busy.

And of course the new member of the family and training him keeps us busy now too. ;-)
Hubs had been saying for years that once he is retired and home full time he wanted to get another dog.  So since I have to have a dog "I" got to pick which one out.
We had been without a dog since our old female beagle passed right after Thanksgiving in 2014 so it's an adjustment for sure and getting a puppy has been even more of a challenge.

Our food waste has also gone down, not that it was bad to begin with, but still it's been reduced to nonexistent with Hubs home.  He LOVES leftovers and he'd rather eat those for lunches than a sandwich like he'd take to the office when he worked.  I like leftovers on occasion but not as a regular "thing" for lunch time.  I often don't eat a proper lunch anyway as long as I get a good breakfast meal.
No food waste means less spending on food......well it would if I didn't keep going to the grocery store and stocking up on food. lolz

The biggest retirement "glitch" we have encountered is financial--the RMSA account which reimburses us for our healthcare premium payments.  It's administered by United Healthcare and frankly they are dropping the ball big time when it comes to handling our account!

We pay OOP for healthcare premiums each month and then submit for reimbursement to United Healthcare from our account there.
The November premium was $1771.94, which we paid already(it's due the 1st of the month).  We have an automatic reimbursement now once UH receives payment.
So we get the reimbursement check last Saturday not for $1771.94 but for $125.90.
WTF?!?
Incidentally $125.90 is the amount of Hubs' life insurance premium per month if he had elected to have that once retired.  Hubs elected NOT to keep the term life insurance policy.
So we pay a health insurance premium and they reimburse us for a life insurance payment......really??
Let's not even "go there" about how it's ILLEGAL to pay life insurance premiums out of our RMSA healthcare account.
Yeah, United Healthcare so far has pretty much sucked at doing their job.

So another phone call to UH Customer Service(ha!)happened last week.  If I could move that RMSA account I would at this point.  They've had four MONTHS to get it right and still they are incompetent. Ugh!

*  Another point that we were just notified about is our HSA.  Well it's not really just a retirement issue as it affects all the employees of Hubs ex-employer.  The employer is no longer affiliated with the HSA company/administrator so now instead of a company product it's a retail product, which means we all get charges fees for it's use.
Well crap.
So at least we have to pay $3 a month service fee so $36 a year.  The money is earning .14% so any pitiful earnings on it is negated. 
I was saving the HSA funds to use later on in retirement but it makes sense now to drain that account asap.  I'll be able to use about half of what is in there per year meeting our yearly high deductible($3K for next year and who knows how much the following year)plus a year of co-pays(which I had been paying out of regular income, now the annuity income)on blood work, dr. visits and prescriptions.

That's about all I can think of to talk about as far as how the retirement is going so far.
Besides Hubs is driving me nuts being home all. day. long.  Having him be in charge of Chester's potty training is helping on that score though. ;-)

If anyone has any questions on some aspect of retirement and how we are handling it, feel free to ask.

Sluggy


17 comments:

  1. My sister in law works for United Healthcare and is pretty high up. So yes, they are kinda run by some morons. Haha. I think I might need to adopt your WAM concept. One of us, ahem, has a problem spending money every time they go out and on stupid stuff. In my opinion anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence for UH...not! lolz

      Delete
  2. You can move the hsa. There may be a small fee to do so. I moved mine to my credit union (no monthly fees) but the old hsa provider charged a $25 transfer fee. But they were crooks and wouldn't let me spend down all of the money/ had to keep a $25 balance so it didn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think that is legal ($25 balance). I have drained my completely some years, no issues.

      Delete
    2. We have looked into moving the HSA funds and will do so later this week. Thanks for your imput!

      Delete
  3. We have wam too and one of us spends most of our $200 a month....my big wam is about $15 a month....I see a man pattern here. Your puppy is in it's high maintenance year, kind of nice when they get beyond that but like you say, good your hubby is trying to take care of more of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the part about NOT remembering agreeing to $100 a month WAM is really a man thing(convenient memory). ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is so interesting! We are really starting to think hard about retirement and what it will look like. We are home bodies too and I was thinking that it was wrong to be that way since so many are constantly social, but maybe not. Keep these posts coming! My learning curve it so sharp that I don't know enough to ask questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that everybody's retirement will look different and you need to decide for yourself what it should look like.
      If you want to volunteer or be a social butterfly or travel or work or just sit home it's all up to you and your finances. It all boils down to if you have the resources to do what you WANT to do.

      Delete
  5. Personally I am not sure if THeHub could exist without at least 200 WAM a month. On the other hand I can go a good while without spending cash (groceries and toiletries are all changed and I am not a fashionista so I rarely buy anything new to wear)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I am not a spender(except for groceries and such). I'd start planting the seed now about reduced WAM in retirement if I were you. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Well I thought you and hubs were very engaging and I hope to engage more with you later. My hubby drives me crazy also. He does as much as he can to get out of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly an inspiration on how to do things right!!! After being hit with a MAJOR lay-off totally out of the blue and having to play catch-up we are behind the eight ball. We went through a "oh poor us" period where we did some much needed home repairs on credit cards because we "had" to....now that he is working again and making a decent income, we are trying to get everything we can into retirement - hopefully we can get somewhere CLOSE to being as smart at you guys were!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck on getting from behind the financial 8 ball Sue. Be sure as you move forward to consult a financial planner if you need to and to have regular updates with your spouse to see how your plan is working and make adjustments if needed.
      You'll get where you need to be by keeping an eye on the prize! 8-)

      Delete
  8. Sluggy, I had about $80 and change at my former employer's HSA. Since I retired, and no longer considered an employee, my account was to start incurring fees. I got the notice on the day of the freezing of my existing HSA card-nice. Grrr. I called, after reading my options, and was able to do a one time transfer to an existing bank account (checking is what I chose) and as long as I used the funds for a medical expense (I did), no issues. It's documented, just in case of audit. I then closed the account. DOne. $3/month fee for what????? NOPE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my thoughts.....why should I pay fees for nothing, fo money to sit in your institution in MY account? Having the HSA funds in a reg. checking just makes for more book work but it's doable and fee-free. I'd move it too!

      Delete
  9. Appreciate your blog. I especially like your tips about retirement prep. My husband retires next year and I may continue working. Regardless, we have big changes coming. Thanks for writing about it. I am in the mode of getting rid of clutter/excess as we move. We already have our retirement home, we will sell our city home early next year. I agree with trying to make adjustments now in preparation. I will keep coming back to see what things you think of to do now!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.