Friday, June 3, 2016

Lincoln Connection.....What Do Ya Know!

As I was kanoodling around in the Hanks/Lincoln genealogy/family tree I discovered that I too have a very distant via "marriage in our allied families" connection to Mr. Lincoln.



Yeah, everywhere I turn I uncover family connections to just about everyone. lolz

Nancy Hanks Lincoln, the mother of Abraham, had a sister(not sure if they are full siblings though as both their fathers are unknown)named Sarah Hanks.

Sarah Hanks, herself, also had an illegitimate child, a daughter named Margaret Hanks.

This Margaret Hanks, who was a full 1st cousin to Abraham Lincoln, married Andrew LeGrand.

Andrew LeGrand is a descendant of Pierre LeGrand, one of the Huguenot immigrants who arrived in 1700 on the "Peter and Anthony", the second ship of Huguenots to arrive in the Virginia Colony.

*Readers will remember that my direct 8th Great Grandparents, Abraham Soblet and Susanne Briant Soblet, along with their son, my 7th X Grat Grandfather, Pierre Jean Soblet, arrived in Virginia as well in 1700 on the first ship of Huguenots, the "Mary and Ann".  But I digress.....

The LeGRAND line down to Andrew--

Pierre LeGrand
Jean Pierre LeGrand
Abraham LeGrand
William Thomas LeGrand
John Harris LeGrand
Andrew Jackson LeGrand

Abraham LeGrand(Andrew's Great Grandfather)had a brother, Peter LeGrand.

The LeGRAND line that hooks into my family--

Pierre LeGrand
Jean Pierre LeGrand
Peter LeGrand
Nash LeGrand
Rebecca Holmes Nash
Hunter Holmes Marshall m. Sarah Stith

Peter's son, Nash LeGrand married Margaret Holmes and they had a daughter, Rebecca Holmes Nash.

Rebecca married John Marshall and their son was Hunter Holmes Marshall(the original owner of Roxabel Plantation-which my great grandparents bought in the early 1930's).

HH Marshall married Sarah Wilmer Stith, who is my 4th cousin 5 x removed.
Sarah Stith and I share common ancestors in Drury Stith and Susanna Bathurst(Sarah's 3 x GGs, my 8 x GGs).

To put it another way, Abe Lincoln is the 1st cousin of the wife of my 3rd cousin of the husband of my 4th cousin 5 x removed.

Yep, early European immigrants to American shores are just a big ol' fun ball of incestuous relations.

My own Grandma, Sluggy





4 comments:

  1. Could you please map that out for me? Maybe my head will quit spinning.

    They did not even consider that incestuous. Maybe there were not enough non-relatives togo around...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna Bathurst and Drury Stith are MY 8x's ggs too! I think I am related to just about every ding dang President. And allllll the incest is just crazy. I think I will need to reread this post about 7 more times to understand it but thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Ancestry says Lincoln is my 6th cousin 5x's removed through a shared ancestor named Anne Constable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Harris Legrand (my 4th G Grandfather) was married to Sophia Hanks, also a Lincoln cousin

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.