Monday, October 6, 2014

This Week on the Dining Table

The "The Garden is Kaput" Edition---

We got a hard frost the other night so the plants no longer look like this(taken 6 weeks ago).

They look like this......


I went out a little while ago and picked the last of the ripe tomatoes too.

Onward to the meal planning!

What was planned last week--
1.  Leftovers
2.  Fish fry, leftover coleslaw, veggie of some kind from the freezer
3.  Leftovers
4.  Leftovers
5.  Pork Chops, Red Cabbage w/Apples
6.  Chili(using leftover taco meat)over Rice or with Burritos
7.  Subway sandwiches

 
And this is what actually happened--
1.  Leftover Lasagna, Tossed Salad w/almond slivers
2.  Fish fry, leftover coleslaw, veggie of some kind from the freezer
3.  Me-leftover lemon chicken and zuke, Hubs-leftover stuffed peppers w/rice
4.  Hubs-leftover lemon chicken and zuke, Me-large salad
5.  Leftover stuffed peppers w/rice
6.  Chili with Burritos
7.  Subway sandwiches
  
The plan was kept to pretty much, except we had more leftovers than I thought, so the pork chops didn't happen.  They move to this week's menu.
    
Last week I made trips to 3 different local markets and spent $53.99 and 6 transactions at Rite-Aid(since Oct.1st)where I spent $3.29 total.
$57.28 down and $242.72 left in my October food budget.

Going into this week, in leftovers we have.........chili and spaghetti sauce w/meat.  I have some tomatoes from the garden to use up too.

Here is the plan for this week.........

1.  Lamb chops(freezer), steamed cabbage
2.  Rigatoni w/meat sauce(leftover), tossed salad(put my tomatoes in this)
3.  Meatloaf, butternut squash(use my tomatoes in sauce for the meatloaf)
4.  BLT sandwiches(have all ingredients-use my tomatoes)
5.  Pork Chops, Red Cabbage w/Apples
6.  Chili(leftover) over Rice
7.  New Leftovers


Food Waste--nothing.

What I need to buy this week.......nothing for this menu.  I bought the ground beef on Sat. and the red cabbage and squash 2 or 3 weeks ago at the farm stand.

The only items I want at my regular grocery stores this week are 4 items on sale-- a 2 lb. bag of shredded mozzarella, 12 cans of green chiles, 3 cans of clams and 1lb. of fresh trout.  That should come to $27 or thereabouts.
   
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?
Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?
How much did you spend on food so far in September?
 

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. Our yard is yucky now too. I hate winter! Pout and stomps feet.
    Now that I'm back, Den and I decided to eat healthy after all that we did to ourselves in Vegas. I spent over $100 at the store yesterday but I think that it should get us through a couple of weeks. Or so I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those coleus are/were beautiful. I love coleus. BLT talk makes me hungry for a blt sandwich. I am still eating chicken I cooked last week. And rice. I just add broccoli or other vegetables to the portion I am heating for that day. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be cleaning the fridge this week. Lots of leftovers for lunches and some "need to eat now" things for dinners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only decent deal I can talk about is chicken thighs for $0.79/lb. I'm afraid to buy too many, since my mother refuses to use anything that I buy, but maybe I will grab another package to throw in the crockpot one of these days. No idea on food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what the crew ate last week. I tried to avoid all of the raw fish that was served, and did a lot of snacking. I'm way behind, so I need to clean the fridge & get us prepared for the week ahead. I'm making homemade pizza tonight (and, the husband bought a Costco pizza? Not sure what I'll be doing with that. . . ) Also, likely spaghetti and meatballs, and fish & rice. If I survive this week with my sanity intact, victory will be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left some things for Kazi to make while I was away but did she use any of it?? I'll give her a break however, since she had to take our 20 year old cat to be put down and then she spent the rest of her time at her boyfriend's parents' house. So I made soup yesterday with the leeks and potatoes that were still lurking in the fridge and today we made pasta with shrimp. That was very yummy. I spent $80 on groceries the day I returned and am hoping to make that last as long as possible. I have lots of fish/shrimp in the freezer but I still need to get a turkey as this weekend is our thanksgiving. Forgot about that when I grocery shopped. Guess I'll need some pumpkin pie too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.