Monday, March 5, 2012

February/March Food Spending Week 4 &1, Meal Plan March Week 1


I love searching around for old photos and advertisements featuring kitchens from years gone by. These are mostly the kitchens from my youth in the 1960's-1970's or earlier.
This week I give you the "kitchen of tomorrow" from 1945......

This post-war kitchen of the future was thunk up by the Western Pines Co of Oregon.  If you can't make out the copy of the ad, they refer to this as a "Living Center", not a kitchen.  They predict that the mechanical innovations that would free women up from the drudgery of kitchen work would be air conditioning, a quick freeze unit and no splash sink with sliding grill.  They referred to the desk and hutch as a "dish secretary and food budgeteer".  And get a load of the flat screen TV! mounted above the combination "fireplace incinerator heating unit".  Take note of the Venetian blind type separator curtain/blind over the peninsula.  They say this will be "electrically operated" and when closed will separate the cooking area from the dining area.  What crazy thinking for the 1940's!lol

Up til this point, natural wood finishes were not what was done in a kitchen.  Wooden cabinets(more in freestanding furniture or furniture cabinet forms like Hoosier cabinets)were standard, but mostly this furniture sported painted finishes.  
Before the metal built-in cabinetry that was "modern" in the 1930's, wood in the kitchen was standard, but this wood concept and finish, while a return to the previous era was also new in it's form and treatments.
This ad didn't actually show the kitchen prep areas so I don't know how I feel about this kitchen.  I do think all that Ponderosa pine reminds me of wood paneling from my childhood that everyone had in their finished basements.  This ad also reminds me of old camper photos. lol

Enough of that, onward to the Meals and Food Spending. 8-)

Last week's meal plan is in the books. Here is what actually happened....

SUNDAY--Hubs/#2 Son had Burger King, I had a big salad with nuts and fruit
MONDAY--Ravioli, Salad
TUESDAY--Pecan Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower/Carrot blend
WEDNESDAY--Meatloaf, Green Beans, Smashed Potatoes
THURSDAY--Fish, Rice, Teriyaki Veggie Melange
FRIDAY--homemade Pizza, Salad
SATURDAY--Leftovers

Everything was served as planned.  Since I had a whole chicken to roast, instead of doing my traditional preparation for the Pecan Chicken, I roasted the bird, then sliced off the breast meat and prepared the sauce and put those slices under the broiler with the sauce and nuts for those who wanted their bird sauced.  Me?....I had my bird roasted and plain and Hubs ate the dark meat parts.  #2 Son is the only one who wanted the sauced version so this worked out for everyone.

The weekly food spending was $159.20.  I already speechified about spending $121.53 in ONE shopping trip HERE.  The next day, Saturday, Hubs and I went to the other local grocery store and dropped another $37.67.  That trip was to pick up tomato products, 2 lbs. of fish fillets, OJ, 1/2lb of deli meats and 6 bags of salad greens.  This was the shopping trip I had planned to make last week.

It's the 5th day of the month and I've already spent more than HALF my food budget for the month!  I have $140.80 left from my original $300 kitty for food.  I do have $176.80 leftover from Jan. and Feb.'s kitties which I will dip into if I need it, but I'll try my hardest to avoid spending that.


Going into March Week 1+ I have a few leftovers.  Mostly it's just one helping of something and not enough for an entire meal.  We ate some leftovers on Sunday so there is little left now.  The only exception is leftover chicken from the roasted bird.  I am planning to use that in a casserole type dish this week.

This week's menu.....

SUNDAY--Leftovers
MONDAY--Tacos or Taco Salad, Corn
TUESDAY--Veal Parmesan, Pasta, Salad
WEDNESDAY--Birthday Meal out
THURSDAY--Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
FRIDAY--Chinese take-out
SATURDAY--Breakfast for Dinner

This menu gives us 4 new meals, 1 eating out, 1 take-out(at Daughter's request) and 1 night of leftovers.The veal is Hubs request, the tacos are #2 son's request and I need something easy to fix on Sat.

Items needed to buy for this menu are...veal patties. I've got everything else here already in the freezer or the pantry.  The tacos, parmesan and chicken casserole will use the last of the shredded cheeses.  The tacos will also use up the last of my ground beef stash.
We'll be buying milk as usual.

So what is everyone else eating this week?

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. It looks to me as if there is plenty of counter surface. Perhaps it opens up into a Family room. That would be nice. And yeah, I did check out that t.v. Pretty advanced!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did really great in February too with our food budget but our fridge was so bare that I just had to spent almost $100 for food. But I hope it will last us for two weeks (minus milk, bread and veggies). Veal Parmesan sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what I think of that kitchen, either. I don't like the Venetian blind. I might like the pine finish. I've noticed some "model kitchen" cabinetry in the home improvement stores that are cedar. Those? I love 'em.

    Not sure what's on menu this week. It all depends on how badly the "work crew" tears up my kitchen this afternoon. Tonight is beef stew. Who knows beyond that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread I am eating bread, it is all I can handle. I look like a rake with clothes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Den asked me how much money he had for groceries the other day and I said that he owed me money. I need some self-control.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.