Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hubby Dated me for my Baltimore Colts Connection

Hubby is a true blue American male.
How do I know this?
He loves sports.
All kinds but especially baseball and football.
He'll watch anything sports.....golf, lacrosse, soccer, bull fighting, arm wrestling, tiddly winks, paint drying.....
The list goes on forever.

Sports and me?
Not so much love there.

I'll watch winter sports and some gymnastic type things, or anything my kids are competing in.
So I don't do Super Bowl or football at all.

Hubby has 3 teams he has followed since he was a young testosterone-producing zitster.
Baseball....the NY Mets.....secondarily The Baltimore Orioles.
Football....the Baltimore Colts.



He even stuck with his Colts after they secretly packed everything up in a U-Haul truck in the middle of the night and moved to Indianapolis in 1984.
That was truly a black day in our house.....

As fate would have it Hubby attended college in Baltimore in the mid to late 1970's.
Sportwise, he was in his glory to be residing in the town of 2 of his favorite sports teams.

I also went to college just outside of Baltimore at a small 'exclusive' women's school called Goucher College.
Here is the dorm I lived in my freshman year.....
Well, it's actually in the wing of the building on the left in the photo....the front building contained 2 commons rooms, an old cafeteria that wasn't used any longer, the laundry room, the RA's rooms, vending machines, the building switch board room and some old 'dating parlors'.
And yes, even though it was 1977, it looked just like this much older photo.
Some days I would wake up and think I was still in 1952.

I lived in Tuttle House, second floor.
And we were special in Tuttle House.
Why?
Because we had window air-conditioners in our rooms!
This was back before central air-conditioning in the dorms at Goucher College.
No one else had A/C units but us.
And do you know why we had A/C?

Because out of all the dorms at the school our 3 floored Dorm House was where the Baltimore Colts players slept during their Summer Training Camp.
The Colts rented out Goucher College's facilities in the summer and held their Training Camp there.

And if you don't believe me, go check out this article HERE

Just think.....I could have slept in the same bed as Bert Jones.....ok, so it wasn't Johnny Unitas as he had retired already but still....

Sometimes I think that is why Hubby went out with me to begin with....it was almost as good as having a Balto. Colt for a girlfriend.....or something like that.

I'm just thankful I didn't pick up any "diseases" from that mattress.  I've read Ball Four.  I know what goes on at training camps.....

At any rate Hubby will be rooting for his Colts this Sunday.
Me?
I already told Hubby I'll be rooting against his team.
Why?
Because if the other team wins...I don't even KNOW who this is!....I'll get a free bottle of Hot Sauce!!

Sorry honey.....Free Food always trumps....

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. That was such a cute story, go other team!!! Hubs loves hot sauce, football - not so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic story!!!! So sorry the Colts didn't win last night - I always root for the Manning boys when they're in Super Bowls. But hey, you now get your hot sauce. Woot on free food!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.