Monday, June 1, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Worn Out of Cooking/Planning" Edition..........
This is just a gratuitous photo of boiled peanuts for Sonya Ann I took at Dollar Tree. Jalapeno Garlic flavor anyone?  hehehe

I've gotten to a point(I get there a few times a year usually)where I just don't want to plan meals, prep meals, cook meals, and shopping has become such a chore too with all the precautions/uncertainty/rules/etc.  It's just hard to get enthused about any of it right now.

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned.........
1. Sunday--Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Squash and Onions
2. Monday--Cook-out:dogs, burgers, salads, beans
3. Tuesday--FFY
4. Wednesday--Leftover Cook-out Foods
5. Thursday--Pizza take-out, Salad
6. Friday--Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Green Beans
7. Saturday--Rigatoni w/Meat Sauce, Salad

And this is what really happened.......

1. Sunday--Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Squash and Onions
2. Monday--Cook-out:dogs, burgers, salads, beans
3. Tuesday--FFY
4. Wednesday--Leftover Cook-out Foods
5. Thursday--Pizza take-out, Salad
6. Friday--FFY
7. Saturday--Rigatoni w/Meat Sauce, Salad(I just had the salad)


Last week saw 3 nights of home cooked dinners, 3 nights of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out.
The only thing that didn't happen last week was the Stroganoff as we had so many leftovers to eat through.  Plus it was unseasonable HOT here so nobody wanted that dish.
 
What got put into the freezer last week....
* 1 package of beef liver
* 1 pack of hot dogs
* 1 package burritos
* 1 lb. butter/
* 1 roll bkfst sausage

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* 4 pork chops
* 2 packs of hot dogs
* 1 pack of bratwurst
* 1/2 of the frozen meat sauce

1 trip each to Malacari's, Walmart, the Dollar Tree stuff I forgot to add from previous weeks and the delivery from Walmart dotcom had me spending $113.86 total this past week and brings my May Grand Total spending on food/toiletries/HBA/paper goods to $560.90. ouch.  I am not complaining though because A-in the past I've had a few high spending months like this and B-pandemic(need I say more?).

I am at $40.99 total earned in Ibotta rebates in May. Not too shabby for me. ;-)

My savings percentage last week was 40.39%(without Rite-Aid trips)for May and the monthly savings total comes in at 39.72%(w/out R-A).  

As it's June 1st I haven't spend anything on food in June yet so I have no savings rates for this month yet.
I have 30 more food shopping/spending days in June.

Leftovers going into this week........stuffed shells(2 left), beef and broccoli w/rice, 2 pork portions, tiny bit of potato salad, 3 helpings of macaroni salad, 5 of so helpings of beans(they weren't very popular at the cook-out lol).

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Leftovers(I had a deli chicken sandwich)
2. Monday--Kielbasi on rolls, Sweet Potato fries, leftover sides
3. Tuesday--Beef Stroganoff, Green Beans
4. Wednesday--Fend For Yourself
5. Thursday--Chinese Take-out(or maybe FFY as it's Hershey medical appt. day)
6. Friday--Hungarian Goulash, Noodles
7. Saturday--Leftovers

What needs buying for this menu? Other than the take-out food, nothing needs purchasing to make this menu.  It's going to be a cool-ish week here so I'll knock two meals off my list that we don't want to eat in hot weather(Stroganoff, Goulash).  And they will be done in the crock pot anyway.
If the cool-ish weather holds out I might put Chicken and Dumplings on the menu Wednesday too.  That way I got use up some carrots too as I always put those in my Chick and Dumplings. ;-)

I might hit "Sharp Shopper" on Thursday when we go down to Hershey so there may be food spending this week.  I am not planning on darkening Weis(PMITA)Market's door this week. ;-)

What's left on my master list of meals we can make from what's here...........
*Shrimp Tempura
*Tuna Casserole
*Roasted Chicken
*Chicken and Dumplings
*Shrimp/Crab Ravioli
*Cheese Ravioli
*Spaghetti and Meatballs
*Breakfast for Dinner
* Grilled Chicken  new
* Grilled Steak  new
* Salmon Dinner  new
*Haddock Fish Dinner  new
*Chicken Tenders  new
* Beef Liver  new
Plus lots of thinly sliced Chicken Breast, grass fed Ground Beef and Ground Turkey in the freezer.

I really need to redo this list once I go through the freezer again in June and inventory.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. I had an entire weekend of not wanting to cook. Friday, I had my husband grill steaks, which I served with a salad--easy enough. Saturday, I put together a slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, and in another slow cooker made some bean dip, and let them fend for themselves. Last night, I simply heated up some cook from frozen breaded chicken tenderloins, a can of beans, and made some cole slaw. Today, I have cube steaks ready for country friend steak and mashed potatoes. It's quick, but requires me to be in front of the stove the whole time, so I my switch gears as the day goes on. I am really NOT IN THE MOOD TO COOK. I did, however, make a Key lime pie on Saturday, and baked some terrific ginger cookies yesterday. (Baking is not cooking in my book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How well does Key Lime Pie mail? Asking for a friend....

      Delete
  2. are you at a point where you could extend your fend for yourself approach to most nights, and skip meal planning? Maybe your son who lives at home could take over some cooking too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has volunteered to cook but we just never know his schedule(sleep/wake schedule)an he's been mixing music up in his room for folks so he's been busy.
      Hubs was taking over one night a week so maybe I'll just make them both cook their own dinners for a week. Bet that would get them to appreciate my efforts more. lol

      Delete
  3. I have no interest in cooking. I have stuff for a banana cream pie-wait, we ate ll the bananas again, but no interest in actually making it. Oh-we let the milk og sour too. Rasts. I have dry pudding and whipped cream and pie crust. I guess I need a few more ingredients. I'll read your list then go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked like a maniac over the weekend to make the weeknights easy, as I’ve been working at my shop all through the pandemic. It’s the only way to ensure that I’ve got my lunches and fam dinners set for the week. Colors Light has helped me immensely. I actually accomplished so much over the weekend that I was freaking exhausted at work this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am super sick of cooking..made even worse by being sick of shopping in the current situation and the fact I can't bloody eat anything without it upsetting my stomach. I did stay under budget in May but only due to the fact that I bought so many groceries the previous 2 months and am now back to only buying things if they are reasonable/on sale. They wanted $8 for bleach yesterday - um I don't f*ng think so

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.