Monday, August 3, 2015

This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "Boy Did I Have Some Energy!" Edition--



Usually when I get home from traveling I am a slug and don't want to do anything besides the basics.
Not this time!
We picked up  fresh farm produce and reduced meats on the way home and I marinated veggies and steak and put up 3 bags of green beans that evening.  Then I made peach jam the next morning.  Today I have to blanch and freeze the rest of the corn on the cob I bought too.  This week may also find me getting more green beans to prep and put up for winter too as the beans are cheap and nice looking right about now around here.

By the end of this week between harvesting/putting up veggies and getting College Boy packed up to go back to school I may collapse.  Stay tuned to see how it all turns out.... ;-)
 
Onward to the meal planning!
 
Here's what was planned last week.......

1. Sunday--Kielbasa(from the freezer), rolls, onions, pickles
2. Monday--crab cakes and fish, leftover cole slaw, leftover stir-fry veggies
3. Tuesday--leftover roast chicken made into something TBD, grilled yellow squash
4. Wednesday--maybe Chinese take-out or "breakfast for dinner"
5. Thursday--eating out
6, Friday--eating out
7. Saturday--leftovers(risotto?)and veggies
 
And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Kielbasa(from the freezer), rolls, onions, pickles
2. Monday--crab cakes and shrimp, leftover cole slaw, leftover stir-fry veggies
3. Tuesday--leftover roast chicken, grilled yellow squash & onions
4. Wednesday--Chinese take-out
5. Thursday--Eating Out--Lunch-fish Sandwich/Fried Dinner-Steak Sandwich and Soup
6, Friday--Eating Out--Lunch-bbq Sandwich Dinner-Steak, Salad and Mac and Cheez
7. Saturday--Eating Out--Lunch-Chicken Salad Sandwich and Fruit Dinner-leftovers(I had hot and sour soup from my Chinese take-out)

We had a big dinner on Monday as College Boy was off from work and home for the meal. I also tried to use up some leftovers before and after we got home from Virginia last week.

Hubs was off on Wednesday(we didn't leave for VA until Thursday)so we pan fried slabs of the cheese grits, eggs and ham casserole thing I made for breakfast.  It tasted better but nobody is enamored of that dish so we'll probably toss the rest and I'll never do THAT experiment again. lolz
 

As for my grocery spending last week.....

I didn't even go into a grocery store last week until Saturday(Aug. 1st)on our way home from VA.
So there was no grocery spending last week of July and I've already posted my July Food Totals last Thursday.

Leftovers going into this week--risotto. The grits casserole gets pitched and everything else was eaten.  I'll probably throw the rest of the risotto into the freezer since no one seems eager to eat it this week.
 
Here is this week's food plan--

1. Sunday--Marinated Steak and Grilled Veggies, Corn on Cob
2. Monday--Chicken Parm, Green Bean Saute
3. Tuesday--Crusted Tilapia, Yellow Squash and Onions
4. Wednesday--Pizza and/or Wings at local place(I have a freebie Q)
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad, Garlic Bread
7. Saturday--Leftovers or Hot Dogs and assorted leftover fresh veggies

What I need to buy for this menu?.....I don't need a thing. 
The garden is giving up goodly amounts of squash now and I stopped at a produce stand on the way home near Bealeton VA and got fresh beans, corn, zuke, tomatoes(REAL TOMATOES!), cantaloupes and farm eggs....so I've already done my produce buying for this week. Plus I got some meat deals at a grocery store down in VA too on the way out of Fredericksburg so I've already spent this week.  I'll make a pot of sauce today to slather on the chicken parm and save the bulk to use for my spaghetti on Friday.

I haven't even looked at the grocery ads yet this week but if there are some loss leaders we can use I'll pick them up. Between the grocery meat deals and the produce stand I am already at $61.72 spent on food in August.  $288.28 left of the food budget to spend this month.
 
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?    

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week? 

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. I am always so impressed that you plan and mostly stick to your plan. I am more of a pull something out of the freezer in the morning and cook on the fly in the evening type person.

    This is the time of year that produce is absolutely exploding. By mid week I will be going to the Farmer's market to do some serious bulk buying. I have been buying from the same farmer for several years, and though he is not certified organic, he farms with no pesticides, so he gets my continued business. Later this week I will be doing freezing/canning craziness. I hate the process, but love having peas and okra and peach cobbler in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have energy, head to my house. I have tons for you to do.
    I'm trying to eat down our stash but we shall see how it goes. I pulled a doozy so I need to get my tail out of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, great! As usual your post made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.