Friday, June 11, 2010

JUNE Food Stamp Challenge....Day Ten & Eleven

This post is part of the June Food Stamp Challenge located over HERE.

On Day Ten of the June Food Stamp Challenge I was finally able to cook the Turkey.  I had planned on serving Sweet Potatoes with this meal so while #1 son & I were over in the neighboring town I stopped in for some inexpensive taters and to use a coupon on a special on bagged salad at a small market there.

5 x Sweet Potatoes--1.98lbs. @.69lb.=$1.37
3 x FE bagged Salad on sale B1G2=$2.97
3 x Friendly's Ice Cream on sale B1G2=$5.99 **Not Pictured**
SubTotal....$10.33

Coupons Used
1 x FREE Fresh Express Salad(won in giveaway)=$2.97
Coupon Total....$2.97

$10.33-$2.97=$7.36 Out of Pocket
 Regular Retail of Items purchased...$28.31


While the ice cream was not a need(I'm still stocking up on some items) everything else was bought to be used this month during the Challenge.

I served turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes and home-grown beans on Day Ten.
Cost breakdown on the items I already had on hand....turkey(free last fall for buying $x amount during a promotional period), stuffing($2.00), cranberry sauce(.80), beans(free from our garden last summer-the last of them)=$2.80.

Since I had ground beef thawed in the fridge I still needed to make and serve Sloppy Joes this week and I was still out of rolls and bread.  Another bad day for baking on Day Ten so I planned on going to the Entenmman's Outlet in the big city for inexpensive bakery products as usual.

But you know what?.....They don't take EBT at the Bakery Outlet.  So someone on Food Stamps is out of luck procuring day old bread there and I don't feel right while on this Challenge shopping there.
So the Entenmman's Outlet was out.

Luckily, I remembered a Stroehman's affiliated Outlet near the little grocery we shopped at in the neighboring town.  So we checked them out and they DO take EBT....yay!


I found a loaf w/out HFCS for .99 but all the rolls had HFCS in them so I picked the least expensive ones.

1 x Bread=$.99
2 x Rolls(2/$1)=$1.00
Total....$1.99

I am working on tonight's dinner(Day Eleven)now.  We will have the Sloppy Joes and I have made no trip to the grocery store today.  Items used from the stockpile for today's meal amount to $1.00(Sloppy Sauce).

Spending for Day Ten & Eleven...$13.15


Spent to Date....$116.02
June Food Budget Left....$294.70
Days of Challenge Left....19 

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. How about you just take over my life? I just feel sometimes like I don't have a grip on the food bill. Now if you ask Den he would say that I'm a food Nazi and won't give him a dime. It's all perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.