Monday, May 11, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Homemade Beans" Edition................


We woke up to this Saturday morning, May 9th.........


So this called for the warming slow cooked dinner above.  I had a "?" for Saturday's meal plan but luckily I had soaked some dried beans the day before just because.  I used a Goya pink bean, the usual to make a Puerto Rican rice and beans dish, but they worked fine in a good old New England Boston Baked Bean dish too.
 It's a tangy version of that stuff from the can with a lot less sugar.  Mostly a meatless meal(if you don't count some strips of bacon lol)and was accompanied by this which is required of any Southerner.........
Cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. nom nom
Kim's Sissie and I were texting each other photos of food on Saturday...I was making dinner and she was making enough carrot cakes and cinnamon rolls to feed her whole neighborhood.  I am still waiting for her to drive up here with my share of those baked goodies. ;-)

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned.........
1. Sunday--Cheeseburgers, leftover Veggies
2. Monday--TV dinners
3. Tuesday--leftover Ham Steaks, Asparagus, leftover au gratin Taters reworked
4. Wednesday--Halushki
5. Thursday--Assorted leftovers
6. Friday--Quiche, Salad
7. Saturday--?

And this is what really happened........
1. Sunday--Cheeseburgers, leftover Veggies
2. Monday--Chicken w/Korean Sauce, Green Beans
3. Tuesday--Halushki
4. Wednesday--Fend for Yourself(I ate dirt.)
5. Thursday--TV dinners(Mine was raw weeds undressed.)
6. Friday--Pizza take-out(I had leftover dirt and weeds.)
7. Saturday--Boston Baked Beans, Cornbread

Last week saw 4-5 nights of home cooked dinners(depending if you consider TV dinners home cooking lol),  1 night of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out.
I had picked up tv dinners for nights I didn't feel like cooking and got some frozen chicken apps among the stuff we found at the Amish Surplus Outlet and ate those last week.  The quiche and the ham steaks from the freezer didn't happen so they move to this week.
I didn't feel any cooking inspiration last week, just anxiety over making meals.  With the possible meat shortage I will try to stretch what I have here as much as possible and look to meatless(or mostly meatless dinners-we had two last week)without resorting to dinners with more carbs.

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 3 lbs. of Broccoli
* 1 box Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches
* 2+ lbs. Chicken Tenders
* 1.5 lbs. Haddock Fillets
* 5 TV Dinners
* 2 boxes of Chicken w/Korean Sauce

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* 5 TV dinners
* 2 boxes of Chicken w/Korean Sauce

4 trips, 3 a week ago on Thursday but after I closed out the books on May came to $151.55 for Weis, P and R Discounters and Maines restaurant supply, and a trip last Monday to the Amish Surplus Outlet for $77.41 had me spending $228.96 this past week and brings my May Total spending on food to $228.96. 
One third of the week through May and I am over halfway through my monthly food budget.  Not good but I am still trying to find good deals.

I am at .10¢ earned in Ibotta rebates in May. rah.

My savings percentage last week was 36.66%(without Rite-Aid trips)for May and the  monthly savings total comes in at 36.66%(w/out R-A).  The Surplus Outlet trip was 47.01 in savings but the other 3 stores brought my rate way down.

I have 20 more food shopping/spending days in May.

Leftovers going into this week........pierogies, au gratin potatoes, Halushki, chicken w/Korean sauce, baked beans and cornbread.

I have fresh produce of asparagus, lettuces, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, onions to use this week.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Petite Steaks, Sweet Potato Fries, Asparagus
2. Monday--Ham Steaks, Broccoli or Tossed Salad, Baked Potato or reworked au gratin Taters
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Quiche, Salad
5. Thursday--Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Squash and Onions
6. Friday--Hungarian Goulash over Mashed Taters or Noodles
7. Saturday--Leftovers

What needs buying for this menu?
Not a thing.
The quiche will be meatless and the goulash will take a very little bit of beef.

What's left on my master list of meals we can make from what's here...........
*Shrimp Tempura
*Roasted Chicken
*Kielbasa sandwiches
*Tuna Casserole
*Hot Dogs, Beans
*Chicken and Dumplings
*Shrimp Ravioli
*Breakfast for Dinner
*Spaghetti and Meatballs
*Stuffed Shells(found in freezer)
*Haddock Fish Dinner  new
*Chicken Tenders  new
*Pasta w/Meat Sauce  new

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Yum beans, me loves beans. Was Kay cooking for the troops again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta salad and mushroom pasta from the weekend should last for several days. Maybe I’ll make a bowl of dirt and weeds when we run out of leftovers. 😁

    I finally realized why we’ve been running out of leftovers so quickly. Kroger shrunk the store brand pasta from 16 to 12 ounces! Price is the same and the boxes look the same as the old ones. Those bungholes have been messing up my meal plans for weeks but I’m on to them now.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried your recipe yet, but those look terrific. I'd mostly have to eat myself though.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.