Thursday, May 21, 2020

How My Days Go Lately-Down Rabbit Holes

Not that this Stay at Home order has changed my routine much, other than traveling to visit friends/family, but I find myself escaping down rabbit holes with more frequency.
Rabbit Holes=starting on one thing online and ending up somewhere unexpected or totally different from where you began.

For example--A couple of days ago I was wandering around online looking at real estate.  We still don't have a pin in a particular scenario or where we will be moving to so this searching is sort of all over the map.  Well not ALL over the map as we have about a dozen areas I've been looking at.
One of which is somewhere in lower VA near where my mother's kin are from.

So I was showing Hubs a house we should buy(being cheeky as it is way more than we want to spend and the place is huge!)in Charlotte County VA near were my mother was born.  This place is currently on the market for $450,000.   8,328 square footage(including basement), 5 bedrooms/4 bathrooms on 9.48 acres with a detached 5 car garage/carriage house. For what it is, it IS a steal(because of the area).
The listing has it in the wrong county and calls it a "Queeen Anne Victorian" style house even though it was begun in 1810 and finished before the Victorian Era, but I digress.....

Sylvan Hill Plantation was owned by Paul Carrington, Jr.
Here's a miniature portrait of him from his later years in the Yale Art Collection..........


He was born 1764 and died 1816 in Charlotte County, VA.  He was married to Mildred Howell Coles(1769-1840). I have Coles cousins in my tree.

Anyway, after Hubs laughed about me actually spending that kind of money on that house I told him who had it built and he says to me, "You know I worked with a guy early on at my company who was a Carrington.  He told me once that he was related to the Carrington family in Colonial Virginia.  His people were a second tier branch of elites in Virginia, just below the Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe sorts.  Mike said one of the buildings at the University of Virginia is named for one of his Carrington ancestors too."

Hhmm...You know, I have a couple of Carringtons hanging on my tree as well as a Carrington(Hannah)who married a Nicholas Cabell(also a family name of one of the buildings at UVA).
Maybe Mike is one of my cousins?

Well you know what I did........I pulled out my family tree macramé and did some digging on Hubs friend.
Hubs said this guy, Mike, born and raised in NJ, died sort of young, sometime after 2000 when we moved here.
That's all I needed to know to start working back to link Mike Carrington to my macramé.

After about 20 minutes I found Mike's death date/year(2007)and his real name was Malcolm Michael Carrington, born and raised in New Jersey.
Then I found his father, in a newspaper article in NJ and knew I was on the correct path.  Dad was also a Malcolm Carrington, born in Chicago in 1916 then moved to New Jersey where he died in 1999.

That's Mike's father from his college yearbook from Lehigh University in 1939.

Then it was Mike's grandfather named *wait for it!* Malcolm Carrington born in Richmond in 1874, died in 1943 in Summit, New Jersey.

Here's his headstone.....

Mike's grandfather also graduated from Lehigh U. in 1896.
Malcolm I's birth puts him in Virginia and from there it was a snap to link his line up to the Carringtons of Virginia.

Here is Mike's Great Grandfather, Isaac Howell Carrington taken sometime around 1865.........


And here is his headstone..........


Anyway I could go on boring you with all this but I found that Hubs' work buddy Mike Carrington is my 7th cousin 2 x removed.
We share of common ancestor in Samuel Burks(1680 Albemarle Co., VA-12 Feb 1756 Albemarle Co., VA).
Samuel Burks is my 8 x Great Grandfather and Mike's 6 x Great Grandfather.

And see his Great Great Grandmother's name on the headstone?
Emma Cabell Carrington.....so she's a Cabell and through basically the same pathway as Mike she's my 3rd cousin 6 x removed sharing the same common ancestor.

I can't believe with all this intramarriage with cousins I've got on the old mossy tree I don't have 8 toes on each foot, webbed fingers and an extra eyeball on my chest or something!

And after that matter was done and dusted I spent hours adding more Carringtons, Cabells, Coles and Dandridges to my family tree macramé.

Of course just finding the ancestors and dates is just the tip of the iceberg.
After that I like to go through the records and get the "rest of the story"......the whys behind what happened to the people.

And just like that, between dealing with dogs, cooking, cleaning-there goes my day!!

Hubs likes to say most of my friends are dead and related to me.  I seem to like a lot more dead people than living ones. lolz

Sluggy





4 comments:

  1. You have very interesting rabbit holes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be a great researcher for cold cases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outcome of your rabbit holes. They are always interesting to me. When you get ready see if you can connect your dots to the Byrds of Va. They are somewhere in my family tree. I used to have the DAR papers with the lineage trace but they were destroyed by a kid with some scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom takes me on the "grave" tour nearly every year on one of my trips up to visit her. We talk about family and who was who and she has given me multiple pictures that I love - the old ones where someone was posed and all dressed up. She writes out who they are and how related. My grandma also wrote me about 30 pages when I was 16 about her growing up and family. These things I treasure. Last grave tour I took pictures of headstones and where located. Someone has to know some of the history in the family when mom is gone. She is 81 and as soon as her library opens up she is going over because they have a room and computers and someone to help with genealogy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.