Friday, May 15, 2020

Frugal Friday....the May 15th Edition


Well, well, well!
Another week in lockdown and another week trying to be fugal.
Let's see what passed for frugal around Chez Sluggy this week......

*  While I missed that great copy paper deal at Staples(free after member rewards back)I did find a great deal on packing tape........

4 packs of heavy-duty tape with 6 rolls per pack so 24 rolls of tape.   It was something like 41% off and free shipping so I jumped on that deal!
We go through a lot of packing tape here at Chez Sluggy between shipping out Giveaway boxes, shipping gifts to family and friends and the occasional eBay sale.  I was down to my next to last roll before I saw this deal.
I also bought 10 reams of copy paper too(on sale for less than $4 per ream)because we were very low.
My subtotal was over $80 so I got an additional $20 off my order so with tax it all came to $70.97.
I thought I had gone through my rebate portal site but evidently I forgot. oops!  That would have been $1.41 back....oh well.  It won't break us. ;-)

*  Remember that 2.5 lbs. of scallions I got at the restaurant supply store a few weeks back?  Well I kept one of the bulb ends and put it in a bowl of water.........


And it sprouted!  I need to get this into the garden so it can keep going.

*  I had to go to Dollar Tree for cards.  Talk about a cleaned out card rack!  Geez....
I did find 2 food items to buy there.......


2 large boxes of lemon Jell-O.  Total spent $2.00 on the food budget.  I like to have Jell-O in the pantry for a light dessert in the Summer months or for delicate stomach issues.

*  I found money!
Not much this week because I didn't go many places and the few I did go there wasn't any change laying on the floors mostly....except for Rite-Aid.


Found this penny at R-A last Saturday when I went to go buy myself some perfume.  It was in front of the  register counter.


And I found this one tucked halfway under the floor mat in front of the other register again at R-A when I picked up an Rx on Thursday.

Found Money This Week...... .02¢
Found Money This Year so far....$45.08

* This came in the mail this past week.........


a 15% off your purchase coupon for Ollie's(Good Stuff Cheap!)good until the middle of June.
Actually we got THREE of these coupons under 3 different account numbers.  Before anybody starts yelling about how I am bating the system, I never signed up for 3 accounts there, only 1.  I don't know how or why I got three of the same coupon and I may actually use them all if I get a chance. 8-)

*  I haven't been to R-A except for drugs and I haven't been to Weis(PMITA)Markets at ALL this past week(yet-may go today because I still can't find any yeast and I need OJ)but we did go out to P and R Discounters on Thursday/yesterday after an unsuccessful hunt for Collard plants(hard to find up here in Yankeeland).

I spent around $75(haven't sat down to add it up with the Dollar Tree spending)at P and R and here are the best deals I got......


Fresh broccoli for .99¢ lb. and it actually looked decent.


I got lucky as they were just stocking what little meat they had to put out so I grabbed 2 items- 1lb. of ground chicken breast for $1.99(I'll add to ground beef for tacos or something)and a bottom round roast steak, just over a pound of it and it was $4.99 per lb.
Before this pandemic and the meat shortage/prices rising I'd never considered bottom round roast for that price a good deal.
I'll probably make beef and broccoli tonight.

 The best deal yesterday was containers of fresh blackberries for .49¢ each.  I got Hubs 2 of them to have with his cereal or oatmeal in the morning.

 I also got this creamer and 2 boxes of "healthy" rice crispy treats with blueberries for Hubs.
All were .99¢ each.  Good deal considering what any "Smashmallow" brand item costs at full retail.
*for Jen G.  PandR had TONS of tofu-and none of it spicy either.  You need to come shop here! lolz

I also got 1.5 lbs. of Pastrami and .50 lb. of chicken breast lunch meats sliced at their deli counter and 2 Roasted chickens.
We had 3/4 of 1 chicken last night reheated for dinner with stuffing and brussels sprouts.  I'll use the 1/4  of chicken in a pot pie in the next few days and the other roasted chicken will become chicken and dumplings at some point.
I can also make Pastrami Reubens with some of the Pastrami as Hubs and Ex-College Boy would like that for dinner one night soon. ;-)
So that makes 5 more dinners I've got on my list of possibilities now(reubens, beef/broccoli, pot pie, chicken/dumplings, tacos)besides the roast chicken we already had. ;-)

That's about all I have for this week.
Staying home, turning off the heat for most of this week in the house, digging in the yard, going down genealogy rabbit holes online and not eating out/take-out(mostly)....what's been my new normal(most of it old normal really).
Hubs and I decided that we each got half of that Stimulus check for personal use since we didn't need it to pay bills(other than feeding Ex-CB and all since we don't charge him rent).  We each moved our half into our private accounts.  I know he'll spend his in short order but I am hanging onto mine for now.


What frugal wins did y'all have this past week?
Tell us all about it!

Sluggy









9 comments:

  1. Miss you wish I was there to go to Ollies and use those coupons. Meat is going up here like crazy but I have plenty in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my daughter getting $200 CARES money for college costs, and buying 5 # of mozzarella for $5.99 were our two "big" money wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meat here is sky high also. Whoever though 5.35 a pound for ground chuck was acceptable? I guess I did since I bought 3 pounds. Funny that I found t-bones the same day just 30 cents a pound higher.
    I got an Ollies coupon in the mail today. I am undecided if I will use it or not though. The parking lot by it has been packed and it is the only thing opened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PA is a bit of a road trip! 😁 I found plain tofu last weekend but only firm. No extra firm so I’ve been squeezing out the excess water. The rest of it will work for lasagna filling.

    Canceled the produce box delivery today. I can’t use a bunch of celery every week and we hate beets. My sister in law stopped by to borrow a dolly today so I gave her the rejects.

    It’s warming up here so I shaved my legs with a boring box and razor last night. First time since since spring break!

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got the Ollie’s coupon but I doubt I will go. One thing I’ve learned during quarantine is that we don’t need any more stuff in this house. I found a penny at Walmart and got a free sample of detergent from the machine also at Walmart. Found some great produce prices. That’s about it! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever buy "stuff" there anymore but I'll go to see what foodstuffs they have. You never know what you'll find and it could be something you use or want. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ours used to have a great selection of beef jerky, which we loved, but not anymore. It seems like they have a lot of diet foods (bleh) and drinks and candy. There are only maybe 3 aisles of foodstuffs now. Yours sounds like a better store! JoAnn

      Delete
  6. My daughter-in-law and I snagged 40 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $65. She trimmed it, cut it in serving sized pieces and vacuum sealed it for us. Took her all day, my house reeked of raw chicken and I'm feeling slightly paranoid about it. Never again, but for now, we're fixed for chicken for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the same Staples tape deal. I also did the paper rebate deal and last week the reams were $2 each, so I bought 4 more. I think I'm all set on paper & tape for the year.

    I can't wait to go to Ollie's. I'm hoping they'll still have the Heinz gravy when I make a run.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.