Monday, April 23, 2018

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Can We Talk About the Weather Again?!?" Edition--

 Last Tuesday I woke up and put Chester out to do his "business" and saw this on the deck furniture/grill.....
Evidence that it had snowed overnight lightly.
Then it proceeded to snow all. day. long.  On April 17th!  And it happened again on April 19th and some of it stuck to the ground too.
Ugh.
Then this weekend we had two days in the high 50's and this week looks like no 30's or 40's weather(at least during the day)and we may hit 60F. Woohoo!
This Winter weather just hasn't wanted to let us out of it's grasp this year.

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned--

1. Sunday--Rigatoni and Mushroom Ragu
2. Monday--Fish, Squash Sauté, Corn Casserole
3. Tuesday--Homemade Pizza, Salad
4. Wednesday--Meatloaf, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Brussels Sprouts
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--?
7. Saturday--?

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Rigatoni and Mushroom Ragu
2. Monday--Fish, Squash Sauté, Corn Casserole
3. Tuesday--Homemade Pizza
4. Wednesday--Hamburgers, leftover Squash Sauté
5. Thursday--Meatloaf, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Sugar Snap Peas
6. Friday--Leftovers(I had a BLT)
7. Saturday--Chicken Thighs, Stuffing, Carrots

Last week saw 6 nights of home cooked dinners, 1 night of leftovers/fend for yourself, 0 nights of Take-Out or Eating Out.

4 small grocery trips(2 x Weis and Bread Outlet plus items I bought at Big Lots during the 20% off sale I forgot to add that week)brought the shopping to $80.52 for the week and brought April's food spending total to $273.42.   The "regular" shopping was $50 and the Big Lots forgotten foods were $30.

I've got $126.58 left in the food budget for April and 8 days left in my shopping month.

My savings percentages last week was 53.95% and April's monthly savings total so far is at 58.42%.

Leftovers going into this week....... chicken thighs(I made an XL batch so we had leftovers for this week), stuffing, sugar snap peas, a lot of meatloaf, a lot of rigatoni and a little sauce.

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--leftover BBQ made into a Taco Ring thing
2. Monday--Take-out(getting it at Lunch prices, reheating for dinner)
3. Tuesday--Baked Rigatoni(using leftover pasta), Salad
4. Wednesday--Tacos(using leftover meatloaf)
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Leftovers
7. Saturday--Fish, Coleslaw, Mystery Veg(because I don't know what it is yet)

This week will see 4 new meals cooked, 2 nights of leftovers/FFY and 1 nights of Take-out/Eat-Out.
I am using 3 food items of leftovers from previous weeks to make new recipes this week.

What needs buying for this menu?  Salad Greens and Cheese.  We are getting a tad low on cheddar and mozz.  We also haven't had salads for awhile due to the romaine e-coli scare around here....the lettuce shelves have been a bit bare.  I also need to pick up some cabbage to make coleslaw and the produce drawer is getting quite empty(aside from tomatoes and sweet potatoes).

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. We ate very well this week. I tried a new recipe, pork carnitas. They were a hit. I will definitely make them again. I made a big batch of black beans and froze a bunch for future meals. We had tacos, pancakes, French toast, fried chicken and I cooked a turkey Sunday when my in laws came over. I am making turkey rice soup right now for dinner tonight. I will be hopefully making turkey pot pies for one night. We will see hoe it goes. Otherwise I will freeze the rest.
    Our weather finally got nice out. I have be working on the garden and yard. Peas are finally planted!.
    We did get Chinese take out Saturday night for dinner. we got 3 dishes for the 4 of us and Hubby has leftovers for lunch. We were tired from the yard work. We budget for take out so it was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stuck to plan last week. Even had a bunch of leftover spaghetti that I reheated for lunch about 4 days in a row, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had that weather over on the west side last week but they say that's the last of the snow. Beautiful 60's yesterday and pushing 70 today before the rain comes in and things go downhill.
    Back on to menu planning this week.
    Sunday-burgers on the grill
    Monday-chicken on the grill, pasta side, veg
    Tuesday-new recipe-chicken bacon alfredo pasta bake, garlic bread
    Wednesday-new recipe-cottage pie
    Thursday-leftovers
    Friday-chicken with mushrooms and snow peas, rice, cream cheese wontons
    Saturday-dinner at my dads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't plan and didn't shop except for a few veggies. We are in the process of eating from the freezer so we are going totally rogue. Whatever is thawed is what we are eating. We will be having some interesting (code for crap meals) meals for a while, but I have to get the freezer emptied before the summer produce season hits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been too ill with the same uti to care much about food, groceries, or deals this week. I still need to look at the ads from last Wednesday. Tonight, I am putting chicken in the oven and try to make the carrot/pineapple salad, using my latest free Heinz mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just picked up 40 lbs of b/s chicken breasts from Zaycon so we are having chicken, chicken, and more chicken this week - oh, did I mention we are having chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No deals. None at all. I stuck to my food budget last week. This week - it's gonna be crazy as I have a bunch of church activities. I see lots of cereal for dinner at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We ate a lot of leftovers this past week. We have a birthday this week and he wants Moose fish fry. So, that’s Friday settled. I still have to use up two very small cabbages so it will definitely be lazy cabbage rolls for two or three meals. And, the squash ‘noodles’ still need to be used, as well. I think that just about takes care of the whole week for us.
    Our weather has been crazy, too. Yesterday, we got up to 67* so there’s hope!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.