Saturday, July 1, 2017

2017 Food & Toiletries Spending.....June Update



Onward to June's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for JUNE 2017.

I have posted June's totals on the Total Grocery Savings Page located HERE and have updated the Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in June.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3-4(4 at home this month). No kids under 21.

******************

BREAD OUTLET
OOP  $19.00
Value  $63.74
Savings  70.20%

MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $53.33
Value  $135.87
Savings   60.75%

PRICE CHOPPER
OOP  $52.49
Value  $86.82
Savings   39.55%

RITE-AID
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads/PPs  $281.79
Value  $281.79
Savings  100%

SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $36.91
Qs/Ads  $18.33
Value  $55.24
Savings  33.18%

SURPLUS OUTLET
OOP  $70.82
Value  $136.20
Savings   48%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $302.48
Qs/Ads  $518.74
Value  $821.22
Savings  63.17%

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 100%, the Bread Outlet at 70.20% and Weis Markets at 63.17%.  My WORST savings rate was at that Shursave Market at 33.18%.

I shopped at 7 different stores this past month.

TOTAL Out of Pocket..........$535.03
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$764.06
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$1299.09
TOTAL Savings of ..................................58.82%
TOTAL Savings with Rite-Aid items..........66.16%

This closes out the June food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into June wanting do only spend $260 on food.  Big time fail there.   Lots of good stock-up opportunities plus going to stores I only spend at/go to occasionally(Surplus Outlet, Price Chopper, Maine Source)and even though I got great value for the money spent, I spent and how. ;-)

I generally have a few over $500 food budget spending months per year so being at $535.03 this past month doesn't worry me.  Last year there were four months when food spending topped $500(and one of those months was over $700!!! spent).

The monthly food spending savings percentage went DOWN by 5.28% in June to 66.16% compared to May's 71.44% savings average.  Not worried about that though since over a 60% savings rate is still awesome.  ;-)

With 6 months accounted for, I have spent a Grand Total of $2,100.93 on food/toiletries in 2017 which is a 71.34% savings rate for the year to-date and averages out to $350.16 per month spent in 2017. 8-)


LOOKING AHEAD To July........
Hubs and I are bugging out mid July so our food will be on our trip budget for half the month and my Daughter hates going to the grocery store so she'll probably keep the spending down(except for getting Take-Out).  I will leave a sent amount for the kids to use on food while we are away, the amount which I am still mulling over in my head.
As for the half a month I am home, I'm going to shoot for spending $250 or less.  That's $100 a week plus a little extra as we are having a cook-out for July 4th(so feeding guests).  I am hoping to do better(less)than that but if I don't I am not going to worry about it.


If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in June?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. June was my biggest spend month yet, mostly due to OTC meds and restocking our fridge/freezer after our holidays. We also entertained alot which is something we normally don't do and I am ok doing that as value the friendships and family. Grocery prices are going up up up here, I need to get back to my frugal blackbelt days

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems food is cheaper or I am just finding incredible bargains? With the price matches on the sale items and some coupons on the same items, it just gets better and better. I continue to regale exbf with your exploits and percentage saved. He is impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only meaningful number is how much you spend for what you get. "Savings" percentages reflect a merchant's inflated price that, if you are a careful shopper, you would never pay. Decide what is an acceptable price to pay for the item, and strive to buy it only at this price. Calculate costs per serving/use. Good lessons from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All her grocery cost numbers are meaningful to me. All the "inflated prices" she quotes are different for each of us. Some of can never get the bargains she does because of where we live or lack of the right stores in our area.

      I think many of us get a thrill of living vicariously through her many bargains and can strive to do better because of her examples. "Cost per serving" is important. But, if you are feeding five adults like she was when all her kids were home instead of feeding two adults and three small children, the "Cost per serving" means something else. I would hate to impose one more set of calculations on sluggy. If you think about it, cost per pound has a built set of expectations for each of our households. For instance, if I pay $1.49/lb. for boneless skinless, chicken breasts and get 8 chicken breast, I can look at the meat and say I will probably get 16 meals for the meat I brought home. Unfortunately, I don't figure the cost per serving. If the breast are all very large, that might be more servings. If one is very small, then it might just be 15 servings. I suppose I use a bit of fuzzy math, but it works for me. I am sure if one of sluggy's sons is exceptionally hungry or over-indulging, he might eat two servings, so there goes her figures for costs per serving--right out the door!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.